Author Topic: Brickstore Pub  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Melomom

• About Face
Brickstore Pub
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
I know there is a thread on Decatur pubs, but if Brickstore does not deserve its own thread, what place does, I ask?  Check out this great video courtesy of the Decatur Metro blog, my source for all things new and fun in our fair city:

http://www.decaturmetro.com/2009/11/20/more-love-for-the-pub/

It's my favorite Decatur pub, hands down.

geonuc

Re: Brickstore Pub
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:51:30 AM »
The Belgian Room at the Brick Store deserves all accollades, to be sure.

But I've walked out of that place too many times with too many sheets flying in the wind. It's dangerous.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »
But I've walked out of that place too many times with too many sheets flying in the wind. It's dangerous.

Ditto.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »
No doubt!  I have gotten myself in a lot of hot water with the darling wife on more than one occasion because I drove after a session at the Brickstore.  Now I make plans to crash with a buddy in Decatur when I make the trek from Marietta.  I've looked into making the field trip by way of CCT and MARTA but haven't tried it yet.

-B

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:45:03 AM »
Les and I ventured out in the cold last night to try a few rare beers currently on tap at BSP and between the two of us plus a few samples from the always generous bartenders we were able to taste a wide range of very distinctive beers.

First was a tasting of Smuttynose G-Bock that the bartender gave me as I was awaiting my Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek '07 from upstairs.  G-Bock is a very limited and unofficial release doppelbock.  It immediately brought to mind Samichlaus, the infamously strong (14%) Swiss doppelbock.  The Smuttynose isn't quite as strong or rich and is rumored to be around only 11-12%.  Taste profile is very similar though, with caramelized brown sugar, chocolate, rich malts, and slightly bready yeast making it taste like a browned chocolate chip cookie.  It's too sweet for me to want to drink much of it, but the few sips I had were nice.

And then we get to the beer I was most excited to try: Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek '07.  Supposedly you can only get this in the bottle in Belgium, but they'll occasionally send a few kegs to the US.  Sour cherries dominate.  As this is a real lambic you don't get the cloying sweetness that you get from a Lindemans lambic that has been pasteurized and had sugar added.  This is tart cherry, acetic vinegar, very little carbonation, and astringent tannins(?).  Does cherry skin contain tannins?  It turns out that yes, it does, and I'm not crazy.  If you haven't experienced a lambic this may seem like an extremely unpleasant description, but it was very nice.  I found myself wanting it to be a little more funky and yeasty, but that's just a personal preference.  This is the nicest example of a traditional kriek I've come across.

While I was drinking Cantillon, Les was drinking De Ranke Guldenberg, from which I of course stole a few sips.  It hits the tongue like Tripel Karmeliet (which is good-our friend Doug has dubbed it Tripel Karmeyum), but a then a wave of bitter hops takes over.  Rich body, bready Belgian yeasts, slight fruity sweetness, a little citrus and spice, and a load of hops.  Very tasty.

The bartender offered me a sample of Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche when I asked if anyone likes it (the staff hates it but it's been pretty popular).  Wow.  Tastes like a stock made with smoked ham hocks.  Not recommended for drinking, but I would actually like to cook with it.

I also had the Ommegang Adoration, but I think my taste buds were completely shot at this point.  It's supposed to be spiced but I didn't detect any.  I tasted cherry, chocolate, and dark fruits.  I thought it tasted like what I remember Ommegang's Three Philosophers tasting like.  Enjoyable, but not what I was expecting.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »
I love dopplebocks, but the Samichlaus is hard to get used to - that much alcohol is hard on the palate.

I think that the Guildenberg (and the BitterXX from the same brewery) are probably some of the best beers available to us here in the states. Tasty as all get back.

Was the Aecht the Marzen? I do like that rauchbier, esp. on tap. Can't drink more than 2, but it has a lot of subtle flavors on tap that are hard to pick out in the bottle. Only place I've had it on tap was in SF (at Toronado).

For a number of reasons I don't care for Ommegang.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
If the Aecht was a marzen it didn't say.  It's the season for it to be the urbock, but I'm not sure.  Just checked BSPO website and saw that it, along with the Cantillon are gone now.  I figured the Cantillon would be gone pretty fast.

I don't dislike Ommegang, but their only beer I really like for the style is the Hennepin farmhouse saison, which is probably my favorite saison. 

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
Did you try the Hitachino Nest White beer? Excellent on tap wit, with some serious citrus flavors. Great in the bottle as well.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:13:13 PM »
I've had it at the Porter.  Probably my favorite wit after Allagash, though I'm in general not a huge fan of the style.  I've been hoping to find Hitachino Nest XH on tap, but no luck yet.  I always feel like I'm being teased when I see Hitachino on a menu and then see that it's the wit instead.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
#6 in the world this year, and #2 in the US, per ratebeer.com.  I believe last year they were #5.

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table_2010.asp?title=Best+Beer+Bars+2010&file=bars_places_2010.csv
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas