Author Topic: Orlando  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Orlando
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »

Without me going elsewhere to look up what is hot around Disney, do any of you regulars or guests know some GOOD places around Orlando?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Loundry

Re: Orlando
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
Culinary wasteland.

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:47:50 PM »
When in Orlando, I head for Thornton Park.  I've enjoyed Hue and the neighborhood is a nice break from Mickey and Donald.

Offline TrickyD

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:05:33 AM »
I'm probably going to be skewered for this suggestion, but I found that most of the Disney stuff was overpriced / bland "mass produced" food.  That being said, on the last day we went to the Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney, and I loved it. 

Just a sandwich chain, but good value compared to the other Disney places(sandwitch was pretty big, came with chips) and quick ( I am partial to the Hawaiian).

Probably not the kind of restaurant rec you were looking for, but we had a 2.5 YO in tow, so it was all family-friendly, all the time.  I wish I had known about the place from day 1.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »
I have to give Yapp credit. They sent me here http://paradisocafe.com/

Family owned. Everything is homemade down to the salad dressings. For those who are into Chef hobnobbing, Sal is a social butterfly.

For that price range, it would be tough to beat. Oh Sal is from Naples. Not Florida, I don't think based on the accent.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline foodnearsnellville

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 04:16:11 PM »
I lived two years in Orlando many years ago, and brief culinary blips are..

1. I had some *excellent* Cuban food there, done by a Puerto Rican hole in the wall.

2. Pizzeria Uno is there. That was the most reliable pizza in my time.

3. Orlando is the place where Tijuana Flats was born (original restaurant a block from my apt at the time).

4. Stay away from Disney area. Overpriced.

5. Stay away from Japanese restaurants in general. Better ones in ATL.

FnS.

Offline foodnearsnellville

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »
One more Orlando resource..

http://tastychomps.blogspot.com

Orlando food blog, but this blogger roams over New York City and has spent some time in Atlanta. So you can calibrate the blogger's tastes by comparing your experience in common restaurants with his (hers?).

TastyChomps

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:55:55 AM »
Thank you foodsnearsnellville for the shout out! :D i am a he haha.
here are my recommendations for foodies (thus far) in Orlando

Fine Dining
The Ravenous Pig
http://tastychomps.blogspot.com/2009/11/ravenous-pig-winter-park-florida.html

Soul Food
http://tastychomps.blogspot.com/2009/07/mama-nems-soul-food.html
(don't mind the service, and it probably pales in comparison to any Atlanta establishments...but its what we got)

There is a vibrant Vietnamese community at the corner of SR 50 / Colonial Drive and Mills Avenue near downtown Orlando
My favorite would be Pho 88:
http://tastychomps.blogspot.com/2009/06/pho-88-vietnamese-noodle-shop-mills-50.html

Best BBQ in Orlando belongs to a new establishment called
4Rivers Smokehouse in Winter Park
renown for their brisket

Best Cuban is
Padrino's on John Young Pkway near Kissimmee

Best Thai is
Sea Thai on Colonial Drive

though there are few, things are shaping up here in Orlando for the better hopefully

here is an annual list for the Best Foodie places by the Orlando Sentinel
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/restaurants/orl-foodies-2009,0,3642824.htmlpage

I am actually heading back to Atlanta next week for a few days for fun, so Im glad I found this forum! I wonder where I should look first for suggestions :D

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
So I'm apparently headed to Orlando in March for a 4 day conference at the Caribe Royale Hotel & Convention Center.  Other than the suggestions above (of which the Pig sounds like a definite must) any other thoughts?

Thanks!
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:21:45 AM »
Ain't much in Orlando... :'(

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
Ain't much in Orlando... :'(

Amen to that brother!  According to the Orlando Sentinal, the reader's choice for Best Overall is Season's 52.  While I have been to the one here, and it is not bad, it hardly inspires confidence that the general populace considers this the best spot in town....

Maybe 4 meals at the Ravenous Pig?   ???
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »
Almost worth driving an hour to Tampa for some pretty decent Latina food. Almost - the 4 can be one of the most fustrating roads on Earth.

I don't know if the place in Disney's African hotel is still good, but it's been a few years since I did Spring Training.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »
I haven't been to 4 Rivers Smokehouse (http://www.4rsmokehouse.com/) but I have been hearing about this place from my family in Orlando.  I was hoping to make it on my next visit to town.  Looks like Tasty Chomps a blogger from Orlando who has posted here before has a blog entry about this joint.  He seems to give it a big thumbs up.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 04:33:07 PM »
Off to Orlando tomorrow.  Right now, dinners planned at Luma on Park (group dinner, needed a large space) and The Ravenous Pig.  Probably go sit at the bar at the Pig on Wednesday and say "feed me."  Not sure what Friday holds...
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
Off to Orlando tomorrow.  Right now, dinners planned at Luma on Park (group dinner, needed a large space) and The Ravenous Pig.  Probably go sit at the bar at the Pig on Wednesday and say "feed me."  Not sure what Friday holds...

I would love to spend a day or two outside of the parks and do a search-and-find like you are doing.  There just has to be some good places to go and eat.  We missed a couple of British owned fish and chips places near where we were staying on our last visit, only because we had filled the schedule with "events" and "character meals" for the kiddoes.    Next time, I'll get to make some choices.   Please let us know what the lay of the land is away from the parks. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.