Author Topic: Ad Hoc at Home  (Read 3999 times)

Offline biskuit

Ad Hoc at Home
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
Hey folks, long time no see. Thought I'd post some adventures with the Ad Hoc cookbook...

Made a first meal w Ad Hoc recipes, all turned out very well, but they were mostly a bit more work than I expected (not that that's bad, I've done lots of French Laundry recipes, and they are extreme work but worth it for the most part).

The fried chicken is indeed excellent, and, yes, the brine is the key.

The cauliflower soup is very good, but its the beets and croutons that elevate it, both of which are surprisingly time consuming.

Did a riff on the asparagus with poached eggs that came out nicely, I added truffle salt which worked great.

And the mint chocolate chip ice cream also rocks, very simple prep (as long as you have an ice cream maker).

Here's a photo collage...

Offline biskuit

Re: Ad Hoc at Home
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
And then last week... made another Ad Hoc extravaganza meal. Gotta say, a lot of these recipes are indeed very time consuming (the duck breast, the mushroom soup, etc.), but they are mostly worth it. Did a whole meal, hors d'oeuvres to dessert, from Ad Hoc, and it turned out great. Here's the rundown:

First up, spiced nuts, various pickled vegetables, and feta with olives and piquillo peppers. The feta was a homerun, the pickled carrots (with curry powder) were easily the best of that bunch, and the nuts were very good as well:

On to soup, the mushroom soup with kale was good, but I wouldn't make it again, too much work and not a stellar dish.

Then, the peperonata rustica (excellent, but peeling peppers by hand is a pain in the you know what), then the duck breast (awesome, the orange and nutmeg on it are great) over winter vegetables, and a side of leak bread pudding (another homerun, and pretty easy to boot, a real keeper):

Finally, for dessert, apple fritters and caramel ice cream, both spectacularly good, and a perfect combination. Not too much work either, great stuff.

For the wine, we had a Melville Verna's Estate Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara, that was really really good - http://www.cellartracker.com//wine.asp?iWine=729307 - great bargain too at $20. And Navarro Gewurtzraminer, which is one of my standby whites. The pinot and the duck were made for each other. Then an interesting dessert wine with the apple fritters, Quinta do Portal Douro Moscatel do Douro.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »

very impressive.  very nice photos too.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »
I've been wondering about that book. It is very interesting to hear you, of all people, say that the recipes are time-consuming!

Just beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »
Killer pictures and intense attention to detail as always, biskuit!

Just drove by The French Laundry and Ad Hoc on Friday.  We didn't have the time to stop and eat, nor did we have the cash, but it was fun to make the pilgrimage.  We ran into gardener Tucker as well, tending to the produce across the street from F.L.

We were driving from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco and made the detour to drive through Napa/Sonoma then on to Point Reyes before heading back south.  Fun drive.

Offline biskuit

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
Jealous of HaagenDazs! And thanks. LizR, I think the time-consuming aspect was more about my expectations, that these would be a marked departure from Keller's intricate French Laundry recipes. They are meticulous recipes, some are indeed quite easy, but peeling peppers by hand, mandolining beets and frying in small batches, confiting garlic, etc. are quite time consuming if not incredibly complex steps. Still recommend the book, great learning to try out these recipes. The apple fritters and leek bread pudding are both super easy and super good.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
Killer pictures and intense attention to detail as always, biskuit!

Just drove by The French Laundry and Ad Hoc on Friday.  We didn't have the time to stop and eat, nor did we have the cash, but it was fun to make the pilgrimage.  We ran into gardener Tucker as well, tending to the produce across the street from F.L.

We were driving from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco and made the detour to drive through Napa/Sonoma then on to Point Reyes before heading back south.  Fun drive.

Did you sit out on those picnic tables at Point Reyes and eat some oysters?  Such a wonderful place on our world.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
Great looking food Biskuit, makes me want to run out and by the book. Your dishes always look spectacular.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »
Did you sit out on those picnic tables at Point Reyes and eat some oysters?  Such a wonderful place on our world.

We hung out at North Beach in Pt. Reyes National Seashore for a little bit and watched some monster Pacific waves but we didn't actually make it to the rocky coast and lighthouse area (if that's what you're referring to?).  Too bad really, as it was a fairly nice day and this time of the year elephant seals are in the area breeding.  The drive would have taken too long, we were on such a tight schedule: We drove from South Lake Tahoe, hit Napa/Sonoma/Yountville, then the Point Reyes area, quick stop at Muir Woods, and then on into the city for dinner at Zuni Cafe... needless to say it was a looong day!  

We did stop for lunch in Point Reyes/Inverness area and I had some ridiculously fantastic Drakes Bay oysters from a small shop.  I also stopped by the Hog Island Oyster tent at the Ferry Building Market the next morning and had another round of ridiculously good oysters there too.  I haven't had oysters like these in years.  Literally.  Chelsea Gem and Kusshi oysters are what I had there.  The Ferry Building market is truly fantastic and is a great spot for coffee and breakfast if anyone is ever in the area.  That is if you like oysters for breakfast.  :)

To stay slightly on topic has anyone tried the blow torch roast beef from the book?  I tried it for Christmas dinner and while it turned out quite well, it felt like a way to play with food & fire more than anything.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:41:36 AM by HaagenDazs »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
Very nice biskuit

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 10:09:36 AM »
T.K. himself will be signing this book at the Lenox Square Williams-Sonoma 3/24 at 1:00 pm. 

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
Note that you have to have bought the book at WS and will need proof of purchase

Offline el_ted

• Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
biskuit- did you mail order the Navarro? Last I looked they were only selling at the winery and via mail. Really enjoyed their wines on a trip to Mendocino a few years back.

Offline biskuit

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »
I did mail order Navarro. They frequently offer 1 cent shipping, and their wines are a bargain to boot. Star Provisions sometimes carries their wine, and usually has the Gewurz. grape juice. And they've made the wine list at Cakes and Ale too.

Offline biskuit

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 06:30:17 AM »

A mostly Ad Hoc at Home meal last night - made the caramelized cabbage (subbed Napa Cabbage for Savoy), mushroom consera, potato pave, and pomegranate quail - all quite good, nothing mind-blowing though. Don't think any of these recipes from last night will be repeated. Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaplanbr/sets/72157624123248230/ and here are a few:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:42:46 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »