Author Topic: Founders  (Read 1375 times)

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Founders
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:11:36 PM »
My nephew was born today ;D.  After I saw pictures I thought it was worthy of a toast with my girlfriend so I grabbed the only beer in the beer cooler and we split it.  After the toast she asked what we were drinking.  I hadn't even thought about what it was, but at that point it occurred to me that it was a Founders Dirty Bastard.  Oops.

I guess so this isn't totally in the wrong place I should describe the beer.  It's a fairly light and floral scotch ale (it's all relative of course).  I don't think I've ever had a Scotch ale I found unappealing, but there was nothing particularly great about this one.  In fact, I've found all the Founders I've had to be pretty underwhelming, despite the fanfare around their recent arrival here.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Founders
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
Founders, in Grand Rapids makes some tasty beer, that's for sure.  There are many highly rated beers from this Western Michigan brewery.

The Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale is currently the best contender against my go to beer "Loose Cannon", it is slightly less malty than Loose Cannon and therefore a bit less sweet, but I really like it.  I have only tasted it in bottle conditioned form. I am really liking the beers with Cascade hops, and this one is the bomb.

I have liked almost all of the Founders beers I have tried..   I don't get to drink them on draught but I would like to.

Founders Double Trouble is interesting but again, it is a bit too hoppy for my taste. 86 IBUs.

Founders Red Rye Ale is not a favorite.  It is way too bitter for my taste

Founders Imperial Stout has a wonderful flavor, it is fairly hoppy but I do like how it looks and I know it is well liked, it may be better on draught?

Founders Breakfast Stout is terrific, a true winner.  A bit dark for me, but very tasty. I could drink this off and on even in the summer.  It is a small meal in a bottle.

added a bit later:
Dern, they just keep getting better..  I just now tried the Centennial IPA... What a wonderful beer..  If you like anything but Budweiser, you could learn to like this beer a lot.  We live in a wonderful era of super Craft beers being produced in not-too-small brewery's across this country.  I am really liking this Centennial IPA...   if you care.. read what they say about it on Ratebeer.com

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-centennial-ipa/3168/

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:09:50 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
Did a flight of Founders the other night.  Of the 5, I enjoyed Red Rye the most.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »
Did you try the Cerise?

Offline totm

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
Did you try the Cerise?
Haven't seen it yet and it will probably be out of my budget.  The regular line is pushing my beer budget these days.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon