Author Topic: Were you influenced by the movie "Sideways"?  (Read 1471 times)

Loundry

Were you influenced by the movie "Sideways"?
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Were you influenced by the movie "Sideways"?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
Nope. I pretty much drink the same amounts of Merlot and Pinot Noir as I did before seeing Sideways.

No, I take that back. I drink less Pinot than I did before, because the popularity of it has made the price go up. Usually the only Pinot I drink is Pinot Evil, which is less than $10 and very good. To get most of the other good Pinots on the market you have to go up into the $20-30 range or higher, and I just don't like paying that much for wine.

I drink a lot more Malbec and Petite Syrah than I used to, though.
Food is my favorite.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »
Anyone who drinks more or less of a varietal simply based on a movie is too concerned with following trends.  That may be fine in the short term (see the movie, "hey let's buy a bottle of Pinot") but if it truly makes you stop liking a certain varietal like Merlot, then well... I guess you're weird.  I was not influenced by the movie, thus I am not weird. ;)

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:06:56 AM »
I was never much of a fan of merlot, but never thought much about why until I saw Sideways.  I then found out that it is most often used for blending in vintage varietals, to take the edge off a too-oaky cabernet for instance.  By itself merlot is usually featureless, not spicy at all and not very distinct in its fruit, which is perfect for blending, but not so much for a standalone wine.

That also explains why it was popular in the 90's, when people who had never been wine drinkers started for the supposed health benefits.  Those same trend seekers abandoned it after hearing that it was now uncool, the way they stopped wearing denim shorts.

The movie also spurred a big jump in pinot noir for the same reason.  While I like it in principle, most cheap ones are pretty bad.  Pinot Evil is a notable exception.

Petite sirah is one of my faves, and malbec is one of FG's, so we have them a lot.

To answer Loundry's question, if merlot were the only wine on offer at a party, I'd ask for beer.  Chances are it would be a cheap, mass-produced brand not worth drinking.  I hope that doesn't make me like Paul Giamatti, who was great in the role of a miserable drunk masquerading as a snob.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:18:15 PM »
I loved the movie and the fact that after bitching about Merlot, his favorite bottle of wine is...Merlot.  

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:20:13 PM by MNewman »

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
Although I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm not big on merlot, I have found one that I like a lot.  Dominican Oaks is quite a bit dryer than the typical merlot, and it doesn't have that disagreeable softness and lack of character that I usually find.  It's available at Total Wine for $17, a pretty good deal.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle