Author Topic: Savannah, Georgia  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Savannah, Georgia
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »

Okay, I admit it, I have been here near Atlanta since 1974 and have not gone to Savannah...  We have the opportunity to go over there for a few days for CP's business..   It got me thinking....

So what should we see?

Where should we eat?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
Re: Savannah, Georgia
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »
You will not lack for things to do and see.

Anything SCAD is wonderful.
Elizabeth's on 37th is probably the best place I've been in Savannah.
Stop by the Pink House for an appetizer and live music.
Moon River Brewing has good beer and more than decent food (plus haunted if you are into that)
Head out to Tybee for some oysters and a walk on the beach.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:49:59 AM »
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:48:11 AM »

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:00:52 PM »
Great southern food at Masada cafe'. It's inside a church.
http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/united-states/georgia/savannah/63317/masada-cafe/restaurant-detail.html

You are expected(but not required)  to attend the service before partaking of the church supper.  It's an experience but be prepared to spend 3 hours or so. 

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »
http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/united-states/georgia/savannah/63317/masada-cafe/restaurant-detail.html

You are expected(but not required)  to attend the service before partaking of the church supper.  It's an experience but be prepared to spend 3 hours or so. 

Hrmm..not when i went. It's open every day, not just days they have service, it was pretty much a cafeteria.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »

Okay, I admit it, I have been here near Atlanta since 1974 and have not gone to Savannah...  We have the opportunity to go over there for a few days for CP's business..   It got me thinking....

So what should we see?

Where should we eat?

We were just there, was too cold out to do as much exploring as we'd have liked, but the historic area is relatively big, worth exploring.  I could be wrong, but I think Charleston has better dining options.  We had a medium pizza at Vinnies, which was plenty for 2 adults and small child.  I thought it was really good--but I'm not a pizza snob (i.e. an anticophile or verrasanophile might deem it dog food). 

Wanted to try the Crystal Beer Parlor, we walked to it, and it was closed (this was 12/31 I think).

I was interested in trying the Sweet Potato Cafe, but wife didn't want to drive the 3 miles.  In the historic area, IMO, the dining options are surprisingly not that great (expensive, average or unpredictable food).

There is a Huey's down on the water, and coffee and beignets would have been good.  We had a very mediocre dinner at some Italian type place close by Vinnies (name was something like 'market street cafe').

We didn't try any of the buffets or Paula Deen stuff.  There is an excellent candy shop, as well as a good nut shop down on the water.  The nut shop puts out some tasty samples.

We also made it over to the Crab Shack, got the 24 buck shellfish for one (which has a LOT of shellfish on it) as well as a soup and some crabmeat.  From what I read, Crab Shack does more steamed/boiled shellfish, AJ's does more fried shellfish.  Overall, both have many fans.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »

From what I read, Crab Shack does more steamed/boiled shellfish, AJ's does more fried shellfish.  Overall, both have many fans.

Crab Shack does have a lot of the unfried stuff and is a popular option for shellfish but it was too touristy for me. MacElwee's was more to our liking.
AJs does have some fried, but on the night we were there they also had a couple of good fish selections (fins, not shells). Even though the view is killer, the place is almost beyond casual and totally not on the beaten path.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
The Crab Shack on/near Tybee island? When i went it was clearly a tourist trap. The seafood was not very good, the shrimp not very fresh and the crabs small and dead before they were cooked.
Coworker here said the exact same things when i mentioned it to him

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »
Shouldn't this be in the "Rest of Georgia" thread?   ;)

+1 on Masada for meat and 3, although last trip was not outstanding like the previous one.  They do not expect diners to attend services.

McElwee's served frozen Asian shrimp on our last visit there a few years back, so we've avoided since.  Go to previously mentioned A.J.'s for the beachy, fried seafood experience.

Elizabeth on 37th is always outstanding, gracious southern hospitality, excellent food, but not cheap.  The Butch Brothers have kicked it up a notch after buying the Terry family out a few years back.

Noble Fare on west side of historic district is small romantic place run by a young couple, they do nice tasting/pairing menu.

Local 1110 is in a cool old bank building near Forsyth Park, first visit was great, last one a few months ago, not so much, but might be a good bar/nibbly option.

Wassaw Sound Seafood exceeds expectations based on the appearance (on Habersham, near Victory Drive in ex-Crispy Chick fast food building, distress property 'hood), but the best clams I think I've ever had.  All of the other seafood was local and fresh as well.  Thoughtfully chosen, reasonable wine list of mid-line options. 

A couple of months ago, the Dresser-Palmer B&B offered themed tasting menus every Wednesday (I think) nite prepared by Italian born chef who should have by now opened his own pizza joint.  He was having the imported wood burning oven installed back in September, so he should be in operation by now, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the new place.  I'm sure you could ask around to find.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »

Hrmm..not when i went. It's open every day, not just days they have service, it was pretty much a cafeteria.

I went on a Sunday...

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 10:05:32 AM »

I went on a Sunday...

ah, maybe that's why.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »
The Crab Shack on/near Tybee island? When i went it was clearly a tourist trap. The seafood was not very good, the shrimp not very fresh and the crabs small and dead before they were cooked.
Coworker here said the exact same things when i mentioned it to him

We must have lucked out.  It all looked and tasted fresh off the boat.  ;D

We weren't really into the crawfish so much.  Not sure what to do with them, or what's edible in them.  Was definitely touristy (or kitschy), but almost everything around there is touristy.  Would like to have found the Savannah equivalent of BuHi, but after looking through Yelp pretty thoroughly, I couldn't find that many places around there that would compare to the better places around town here.  Next time, I want to get to Sweet Potato Kitchen, which was a pretty short drive from the historic area (but definitely not walking distance).

Dining in the historic area would probably compare to Atlanta offerings at Atlantic Station.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:49:23 AM »

McElwee's served frozen Asian shrimp on our last visit there a few years back, so we've avoided since.  Go to previously mentioned A.J.'s for the beachy, fried seafood experience.

Don't know about the shrimp at MacElwee's because we had the oysters and were happy.
For really fresh shrimp, straight off the boat, Cafe Loco can't be beat. It's under the bridge at entrance to Tybee.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
Getting set for an anniversary trip down to Tybee in late Sept., so just seeing what's what in the dining scene there and in Savannah. I miss the epic thread we had for that area we had over on Atlanta Cuisine.  :-\

One place I highly recommend is Back in the Day Bakery (2403 Bull Street in Savannah). Possibly the best cupcakes I've ever had.

Zunzi's is decent South African (!) takeout (they have some tables outside) near SCAD, that sticks in my memory mostly for their amazing iced Rooibos tea.

Stay far, far away from Paula Deen's. Godawful slop. It depresses me to no end that people queue up for hours each morning just for a lunch or dinner reservation to eat from a buffet line that is only moderately better than Ryan's. All under the delusion that they're getting the REAL SOUTHERN FOOD EXPERIENCE (TM).  ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:37:28 PM by Hrothgar »