Author Topic: Home Baking  (Read 7689 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Home Baking
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
Don't make a lot of desserts because I don't need the calories but had all these Granny Smith apples so I decided to make a cobbler. Googled cobbler and what seemed like a good one came up on the Land-O-Lakes site. Used about half the sugar called for and added juice of a lemon and a third egg to the crust mixture but other than than followed the recipe. Very good cobbler that I shared with 3 of our neighbors last night, nothing like the smell of something like this baking in the oven.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »
I haven't made bagels in quite a while and I have had a special request for them this weekend.  I use the recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, which is really detailed, good, and best of all, easy.  I would like to try some onion bagels - I've only done plain, sesame and poppy up to now - and am a little unsure what kind of onion to use.  When I think of the bakery onion bagels I've had, it seems that the dried minced onions that you get at the grocery store would work.  Would I use them as-is or rehydrate them first?  Any other suggestions?

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:27 AM »
I have not made just onion bagels but I have made "everything" bagels in which I used a mix of kosher salt, sesame seed, poppy seed, dried onion and dried garlic chips (neither re-hydrated) and was happy with the results.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:59:55 AM »
Y'all boil 'em?

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
Yes, the recipe calls for mixing the dough and shaping the bagels the night before, then letting them rise overnight in the refrigerator.  The next morning you boil them, then place on the baking sheet, top as desired, then bake.  I have seen some recipes call for brushing the tops with egg white or something to make the seeds, etc., stick.  I don't do that and I don't find it to be a big problem, though some seeds do fall off.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 12:16:49 PM »
Well then, I'll have the onion with a lox shmear please.  ;D

Royal Bagel in Ansley Mall (I miss that place) used to do a pretty heavy egg brush - it seemed to help give the crust some extra crispness along with the sticky factor.

If you make good onion bialys, I'll wash your car...

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
If you make good onion bialys, I'll wash your car...

I must admit that Goldberg's makes a very good onion bialy. I think they are the best in the city. As much as I like Bagel Palace, I have to give Goldberg's the nod. They also make bialy bread loaves that are just plain hordable.

I'll bring my car over.......
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
Y'all boil 'em?
Yep.  With a dollop of barley malt in the water.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »
Bagels are having the final rest before going into the refrigerator for the night.  They won't be mistaken for professional-grade bagels but I know they will taste good based on previous batches.  In looking over the notes to the recipe, Reinhart suggests using rehydrated dried onion.  I am also going to use black and white sesame seeds to mix it up a little.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 10:50:53 PM »
Wonder how kimchee bagels would go?

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
I see KoPP was the last poster in this thread...

I picked up some house-branded cocoa powder at YDFM over the weekend, it is marked organic and "full-fat" (they also had a reduced-fat kind, I have never seen that before).  Has anyone tried it?  It was about $6, I think, for 20 oz, which I thought was a good price.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »
I want to try a recipe for homemade English muffins and it calls for barley malt syrup - anyone know where I can buy it?

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:33 PM »
I want to try a recipe for homemade English muffins and it calls for barley malt syrup - anyone know where I can buy it?

I'm sure there are baking-specific products and sources, but you could probably use malt syrup from a (beer) homebrew shop.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »
I always get that at Harry's or Whole Foods.
It's in the section right by the rice and cane syrups.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.