Author Topic: Restaurant Bloggers  (Read 4610 times)

Loundry

Restaurant Bloggers
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »
What is the good provided by restaurant bloggers?  What is the harm?

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
Re: Restaurant Bloggers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »
The good is they sometimes introduce previously unknown/untried restaurants.

The bad is because it's one person's blog, it only lends itself to a limited view point.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline totm

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
I'd propose different questions for discussion.  

Are all restaurant bloggers useful in the same way?  

Does a journalist blogging carry more significance than Joe Schmoe blogging?  

Is a blogger who blogs after 1 visit provided a service or dis-service to the puplic and the restaurant itself?

Is blogging significantly different than posting in a forum?  After a single visit experience?
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline A_Russian_Cook

• American recipes with a Russian twist!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
Also, bad publicity can sometimes make a restaurant famous  :P
-------------------------------------------
Join my blog - http://marinasrecipebox.wordpress.com

Loundry

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »
I suppose I could start a blog, and I have considered doing it, but I would rather simply post here.  I think it's because I want to be an equal voice in a dialog, and that I'd like the things I do and discover to be part of a community.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
Also, bad publicity can sometimes make a restaurant famous  :P

That's one of the downsides of blogs. If a blogger says, "I got food poisoning from Restaurant X," there's no way that the restaurant can defend themselves, and if it's not on a forum like this, then there won't be any way for other posters to stick up for a restaurant that can't stick up for itself. In AC's past, we did have some bizarre allegations against one restaurant owner who didn't have the greatest English skills, but other posters were able to refute the idea that he was somehow evil because he wouldn't honor a coupon that wasn't presented prior to ordering.

I like this kind of forum better because other people are around to confirm or deny questionable pieces of information. I do read blogs, and I don't have a problem with bloggers, but there's a lot that must be taken with a grain of salt. Inaccurate information, personal vendettas against certain restaurants and simple egotism get in the way of many bloggers, making their blogs less useful for the gaining of factual information. I can think of at least one blog that I only briefly scan every once in a while, rarely actually reading his reviews because when I do read them, almost all of them turn out to be mean, hateful rants. Why does that guy keep eating out if it sucks almost every time?

Besides, all of the relevant information is right here, or most of it, anyway.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
Oh, and does anyone remember a certain blogger who came over to AC to make a few posts - just enough to try to draw attention to her blog - and in the process alleged that a certain Bangladeshi restaurant owner in Atlanta was a racist who discriminates against mixed-race couples? That really got my panties in a twist.

The sad thing is that, while we were able to refute her claims on AC, which was by far a much more frequented site than her blog, the allegations still remain on her website. I doubt very many people will see it, but those that do might get the impression that he really is a racist. That's really not fair.

There are a lot of good blogs out there, but the few that are bad can sometimes be very, very bad in some very malicious ways, and those are the people who give a bad name to the whole genre. It makes me wish that blogspot would monitor their bloggers, even just for the sake of protection against potential lawsuits.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
Oh, and does anyone remember a certain blogger who came over to AC to make a few posts - just enough to try to draw attention to her blog - and in the process alleged that a certain Bangladeshi restaurant owner in Atlanta was a racist who discriminates against mixed-race couples? That really got my panties in a twist.

The sad thing is that, while we were able to refute her claims on AC, which was by far a much more frequented site than her blog, the allegations still remain on her website. I doubt very many people will see it, but those that do might get the impression that he really is a racist. That's really not fair.

There are a lot of good blogs out there, but the few that are bad can sometimes be very, very bad in some very malicious ways, and those are the people who give a bad name to the whole genre. It makes me wish that blogspot would monitor their bloggers, even just for the sake of protection against potential lawsuits.

I personally think that the Food Near Snellville Blog is above board.  I like the guy, and I like his blog.   One day in the not to distant future we here will have a list of the bloggers that we like and approve of, unless someone talks me out of it, Food Near Snellville will have his Blog listed..   So will some of our other favorites...  I love Chloe's Blog.  and Runningwithtweezers is right on point.  I honestly like Blissful Glutton's Blog too. 

This is NOT a blog, and it was intended to NOT BE A BLOG..  but we can trade information and energy with the folks in the area that are doing it right.

I also like Yelp...   

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »
Part of why I don't do many reviews is because I want to make sure I've been there enough times to really be fair to the restaurant. While I haven't worked in the industry, my husband and in laws have, and I know much word of mouth can make or break a place.  My husband got food poisoning once at one of our favorite (now sadly closed) dinner spots. I never mentioned it online anywhere, because I didn't want to hurt the business of an otherwise great restaurant.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »
I personally think that the Food Near Snellville Blog is above board.  I like the guy, and I like his blog.   One day in the not to distant future we here will have a list of the bloggers that we like and approve of, unless someone talks me out of it, Food Near Snellville will have his Blog listed..   So will some of our other favorites...  I love Chloe's Blog.  and Runningwithtweezers is right on point.  I honestly like Blissful Glutton's Blog too. 

FnS's blog is fine. It's a slightly different perspective from the way I view restaurants and his preferences and location respective to the city differ from mine, but that's not a big deal. It just makes the information less useful to me; it doesn't make it anything negative. Chloe's blog is useful in that she has the inside scoop on some Asian places, but she's not always accurate and she can be rather biased at times. Still, it is one of the ones I look at frequently, and I just try to close my ears to the "like fingernails on a chalkboard" grammar mistakes that drive me nuts. I know, some "grubbers" don't mind such things, but my extensive language training is so ingrained that I can't turn it off.

In that same category I'd list BG, Nibbler and a couple of others. RWT is fine, but I don't need inspiration to cook, as all it takes for me to find inspiration is to look at my husband and want to feed him. The "Buddha" guy has it all, though: Heinous, felonious grammar mistakes; vicious personal attacks; reviews of newly-opened restaurants with incredibly unfair and sometimes inaccurate portrayals of his meals. . . It's torture every time I give in and look at it, so I try to abstain.

On the other hand, Cake Wrecks is one of my absolute faves. Look at it every day.
Food is my favorite.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »
I don't see any problem with a review after one visit.  I don't get to eat out all the time, so a single visit is important to me.  It's not as though a restaurant is going to comp my food if it's not great on that one visit. 

More broadly, I think that the arrival of blogs and independent reviewers is a huge positive development.  For one, the high profile gatekeepers can't possibly keep up with every little niche, and even more importantly, I don't want someone else deciding whose opinion I should heed.  I gladly read Kessler, Bostock, and Rodell, but I'm glad I can choose others.  The democratizing of opinions scares a lot of people, and as some people have pointed out it can even be messy sometimes, but I think on balance we're much better off.

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
The democratizing of opinions scares a lot of people, and as some people have pointed out it can even be messy sometimes, but I think on balance we're much better off.

I like this experiment in social behaviors. It is interesting to me. The digital medium opens up a world of contacts that were difficult if not impossible to create previously.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:58 AM »
I don't read a many blogs regularly. I do get emails from Blissful Glutton and Eat Beaufort Hwy. and find them interesting and occasionally I visit Running With Tweasers but not too often. And as far as reviewing a restaurant on the first visit, I often do. But then I also report on repeat visits and anyone reading can get an idea of how I personally like a place. Unless I have a terrible experience I am not going to tear a place down and after all it is just my opinion anyway.