Author Topic: Mac McGee's  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Melomom

• About Face
Mac McGee's
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
Geonuc and I decided to check out the new pub on the Decatur Square last night, Mac McGee's.  I can't find a website but Decatur Metro has an entry and some pictures:

http://www.decaturmetro.com/2010/01/08/mac-mcgees-now-open-on-decatur-square/

As you will see, the space isn't huge, but it feels very cozy in your traditional pub way.  Good beers on tap, I had a Smithwick's and Geo started with the Terrapin India Brown Ale.  I decided on the steak and mushroom pie with a  side of the potato leek soup.  The "pie" is deconstructed, with a bowl of the stew topped with a crispy puff pastry square. It hit the spot on a very cold night.  The soup was also good.  Geo had the fish & chips, his barometer of pub food.  He said it was good but perhaps not the absolute best he had ever had, but as he ate everything but the lemon I will let all draw their own conclusions.

We had a nice chat with the exceedingly personable barkeep, Casey, late of fado in Buckhead.  The owners definitely have an interest in keeping good beers on tap, recognizing that given space limitations they can't compete on that score with Brickstore.  Where they will differentiate themselves is with their spirits - they have a long and, to my untutored eye, excellent list of Irish and Scottish whiskeys, which might be the next big thing.  I have developed a taste for Jameson's and there were four available, including the Rarest Vintage which I think Casey says retails for $200 a bottle.  I decided on the 9 year and had that in lieu of a second beer (Geo had a black and tan which they make with London Pride).  Yummy!

Almost forgot - I had my eye on dessert and we split the sticky toffee pudding, which was really, really delicious.  Some other good desserts on the menu also - and a children's menu for those who need it. 

I think this is a great addition to the Square and given the crowds at Brickstore, Twain's, etc. there is more than enough business to go around.  With the chef's pedigree I think the menu development should be interesting.  Check it out!

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Re: Mac McGee's
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »
We checked it out tonight.  Better than expected vegetable pasty for my vegetarian girlfriend and a decent burger for me.  Great chips and a nice side salad to go with them.

There are 27 taps, 4 of which are occupied by Guinness.  The remainder showcase a broader and deeper range of British beers than I've seen elsewhere, but also included Houblon Chouffe, Oud Beersel Framboise, Val Dieu Tripel, and a few others to maintain the interest of those not interested in British beers.  It was the first London pride I've drunk since drinking one at Churchill Arms in London, and I do have to say that there's a pretty big difference between the real, hand drawn version and the keg. 

The space was awesome.  Very much like a British pub and the bartender was quite friendly.  We will definitely be back.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:06 AM »
After taking in The Last Station at the Tara (which was fantastic), Beer Beginner and I headed over to Decatur for a late lunch/early dinner.  I am very glad we decided on Mac McGee's.  One of their tables is called the Snug, an enclosed booth with room for five or six but really nice for two on Valentine's Day.  I started with the Great Divide Scottish Ale, which had a wonderful malty flavor, then had one of my absolute favorite beers, the Allagash Curieux.  Love it in the bottle but it is sublime on tap.  BB had the Curieux as well.  Meals were very good - but I was paying more attention to the conversation and my Valentine's blue eyes.  Service is top-notch.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
Another fabulous time here last night.  First off, coupons are good, but when you get a fantastic one for a place you love and would go coupon or no, you can't beat that.  Scoutmob rules!  This place has really taken off, every time I have been there are lots of folks, weeknights and weekends.  It's good to see local places doing well despite the economy.

I started out with the Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout, which was on tap.  If you like stouts, run, do not walk, to try this - it may be the most delicious stout I have ever had, amazing aromas and taste.  Second beer was the Avery IPA, which I enjoyed very much, but after the liquid crack it did not get the appreciation it deserved.  My friend had the Franziskaner and one sip of the stout - I monitored closely.

I think the food here is excellent.  I had the heirloom tomato salad and the "toasted special," which was a yummy piece of toast pan-fried with an egg in the cut-out middle, topped with the toast circle and awesome brisket and its juices.  I ate every bite.  My friend had the fish and chips, a large portion and quite tasty.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
I think the food here is excellent. 

Agreed!  Nice to see Blais protege Jeff Sigler is now chef.