Author Topic: Forum (Beta) - Please tell us what you think  (Read 3106 times)

Offline FlyinBrian

Forum (Beta) - Please tell us what you think
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
We are in the process of changing the site to have a more consistent "look and feel."  If you have visited the homepage you might have noticed the menu changes.  Please try out the "Forum (Beta)" link and reply to this topic.  A couple of things to note:
1. Don't attempt to login (if you do your computer will EXPLODE...actually it will just redirect you to the standalone forum)
2. Ignore the duplicate headers.

Thanks,

-B

Offline Barnum

Re: Forum (Beta) - Please tell us what you think
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »

maybe I'm not too observant, but I certainly don't notice too much in the way of differences.  I take that to mean that you're cleaning up things that maybe didn't bother me in the first place?

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:09:01 AM »

maybe I'm not too observant, but I certainly don't notice too much in the way of differences.  I take that to mean that you're cleaning up things that maybe didn't bother me in the first place?

This is what I was hoping to hear.  When I make the switch I want it to be as seamless as possible.

Thanks,

-B

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:12:07 AM »
Looks good to me. What are the changes?
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:40:58 AM »
Looks good to me. What are the changes?
Right now the homepage and the forum are two sites.  We are in the process of combining the two.  The forum will be accessible by way of this new link and there will be a login prompt on the homepage.  This will allow us to do more things with the site.

Thanks for your support,

-B

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
Thanks for all you do!

The mail "outbox" feature does not appear to be working. I have sent several emails and while I see the inbox messages, I do not see anything in my outbox, even if I am not replying but instead starting a new exchange by emailing someone.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
When I first visit the site I always click on the "Show unread posts since last visit." link.  Today I did that and noticed 5 new posts, 2 of which were recently commented on by the same person - in this case it was mikeamor.  I read one of them, and then clicked on the "Show unread posts since last visit." again but the other mikeamor post wasn't showing up - I only saw 3 posts.  I confirmed that I wasn't seeing things by using my browser's back/forward buttons. 

In other words it seems like that feature recognizes that only a person has made a new post, no matter how many they've made, not necessarily the actual post itself.  Does my issue make sense?  Not a huge deal, but is this true and if so can it be easily changed?  Just something I noticed.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
When I first visit the site I always click on the "Show unread posts since last visit." link.  Today I did that and noticed 5 new posts, 2 of which were recently commented on by the same person - in this case it was mikeamor.  I read one of them, and then clicked on the "Show unread posts since last visit." again but the other mikeamor post wasn't showing up - I only saw 3 posts.  I confirmed that I wasn't seeing things by using my browser's back/forward buttons. 

In other words it seems like that feature recognizes that only a person has made a new post, no matter how many they've made, not necessarily the actual post itself.  Does my issue make sense?  Not a huge deal, but is this true and if so can it be easily changed?  Just something I noticed.

Thanks your post is being read by the guys at SMF.  I don't use the Beta side personally..  once in a while I tour through it, but my links and macros are set up to view and fiddle with the non-beta version...

Maybe FB will help us out here?  (FlyinBrian)...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Hmm... oops.  I didn't mean to post in the Beta section actually, my bad.  So to clarify, this is happening in the regular forum.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »

GG>- I did try this with both the regular and the Beta version, and I cannot duplicate what you are saying, though your description was thorough...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 12:48:28 PM »
Hmm.  :-\  Yeah, I'm pretty sure it happened but maybe there's another reason that it disappeared. (?)  If I notice it again I'll try to note the posting I'm reading and the one that disappeared.

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »
I've noticed the same thing, so usually scroll down to see where a particular thread started. A better link is the latest post link on the home page.
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »
I'll third the notion that the "show unread posts" feature of the regular board seems to be working differently/not really working the past few days. So, just now, it showed me three unread posts, but when I went to home and scrolled down there were a number I haden't read that were posted today since my last visit.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
I suppose there should really be a seperate thread for this now but I'll keep this one going simply because it's where others have replied.

Anyway, I'm still having the problem of threads disappearing from the "Show unread posts..." link.  The problem is the same as before but I have since noticed that it happens no matter if they are by the same person or not.  I've kind of gotten used to the "latest posts" link but just to keep those who might want to know, in the know.