Author Topic: Dreamland Barbecue, Northport AL  (Read 933 times)

Offline foodnearsnellville

Dreamland Barbecue, Northport AL
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
Dreamland BBQ creates huge amounts of controversy in Georgia and opinions of this restaurant are very mixed. I was waiting to try this restaurant in Alabama where a number of reviewers have said it is a better restaurant and chain. So these are my impressions of the Northport restaurant. Northport is essentially a suburb of Tuscaloosa. This is not the "famous" location on 15th street in Tuscaloosa, but rather an in-town cousin.

The restaurant is good looking. There are photos of famous football players and there are autographs all in a square near the bathroom: Gene Stallings, Jim Nabors, tons of Bear Bryant memorabilia. The restaurant itself has a kind of sports bar look to it. Above our table were football helmets: Alabama, UGA, etc.

White bread and an orange barbecue sauce came out first. Ribs and the rest of our order came out soon after. Ribs were covered in sauce but clearly had a smoke ring. Flavor was normally provided by the sauce, which I'd rate as very good. There were spots where the ribs had no sauce and in those I could taste smoke flavor. If I go back, I'm going to see if I can get the sauce on the side. Rib type are the large Saint Louis style ribs, and the serving size was plenty given the cost.

We had hot wings here and they were large, meaty, excellent. I'd rate the wings sauce as excellent. They had very good baked beans and a decent pulled pork sandwich. I had the sausage sandwich and I'd rate it as very good.

Plusses are the pit open to view. Anyone that wanted to could see how their ribs were being cooked. Minuses are the delivery of the ribs covered in sauce. Dry and sauce on the side would be better, in my opinion. I suspect you can get them that way if you ask. As this was my first time at any Dreamland BBQ, I didn't ask.

FnS.