• Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Ohio
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
Charlies Ribs
Akron on Copley Road.
1860 Copley Rd
Akron, OH 44320

I did enjoy reviewing this restaurant with Tom Noe that has a Blog in the Akron/Canton area, his blog site is:

http://exploringfoodmyway.blogspot.com/

Charlies Ribs-  To be avoided at all costs unless you want a fairly nice portion of under-seasoned broasted chicken and some pasta salad.

Here is the first picture of one of the menu items at Charlies Ribs.  This is the pig foot snack.  Priced at $4.25 it was possibly the most disgusting thing anyone has put in front of me at a restaurant in 20 years, don't get me started about the ribs, they made Fatt Matt's look like award winning KCBS entries.

Possibly some of the worst ribs I have had served to me at a restaurant in recent memory.  Not cooked poorly, but not up the standard, they were possibly boiled before they were oven roasted.
Two sauces one mild, one spicy.. The mild was pretty sweet, the spicy was not spicy.
Chicken was passable I feel strongly that it was broasted, and it did have a good seasoned taste. It was the redeemer on the menu.
Pig Foot Snack was disgusting
Joe-Joe's were fair.
Baked Beans were too sweet (for me)
Mac-n-Cheese-  cumon, really, that gloppy/stuck-together mess of stuff ?
Pasta Salad was the best side
Greens were under seasoned, they are almost always over salted, there was no PEPPER SAUCE available.  They were cooked well enough though.

I know I might be a harsh critic now that I think I have been served some competition winning ribs but folks this was a feeble attempt at doing them right.  No smoke flavor whatsoever, two shiners (the bone showing through one side of the rib), so except for the fat end, the ribs were not the least bit meaty.

Pig Foot Snack:  I think the word "snack" makes it even more strange.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:29:40 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »
Nothing about that picture resembles food.  My condolences on having to experience it...
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »

We just got back from a whirlwind trip to Ohio to visit my kids and our grand kids.  We had a marvelous time and found a hidden jewel of a small restaurant in Fairlawn, OH.   I'll do a write up about it in the next few days, it REALLY is good and the value is terrific.

We also ate at:

5 guys burgers in Fairlawn ----  I hate to say it in some ways but that is a damn good chain-restaurant burger.  Not the burger we cook here at the house, but a griddled and pressed meat patty or two with whatever you want on it.  Sure I know they are here in ATL and elsewhere, but I have only been to a 5 guys twice in my life, the quick dinner with peanuts and french fries was way good. 

We hit the NEW Winking Lizard for lunch today.  The Lizard in Fairlawn has moved into a seemingly larger space but it also seems to be less space when you get inside.  Perhaps the summer and the patios will improve on the available inside space.

My son Todd cooked us filets of beef and 4oz lobster tails for dinner on Sunday on a gas Weber grill.  I have to say the steaks and the tails were just right with a couple of sides and a cookie, a perfect Mother's Day dinner at home. 

We had breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Fairlawn.  We ate well, were treated well by the wait staff and the price was reasonable.   We NEVER eat at the Cracker Barrel here in town, opting to cook a big hearty breakfast instead.  Should I get lazier, I would eat there often, damn good breakfast.

I will fill this in later with ONE MORE FIND and a few pictures, it is late and the flight in from CAK has worn this guy out.  G'nite...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:01:36 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr   Now I remember again why I moved South...

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »

Freezing rain, dropping to the teens by morning..  Ohio will get to me before too long..

Offline MadBob

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »
It is a balmy 36 dg here on the Lanai. Palm tree is gently swaying, Hibiscus' looking good (even if they are in the basement).
Getting ready to fire up my 55 gal home made "Webber" Kettle and put on some beef ribs to cook over indirect heat that I have seasoned with a special habanero rub I have. Of course I will be dressed in the appropriate attire for monitoring this 2 1/2 hour slow cook fest, flip flops, shorts and a tank top (you think I'm kidding, the neighbors know I am nuts)! And of course a couple of choice Ales and a Stout or two to keep me company with the stereo blasting out some Bootsie Collins!.
Enjoy your stay in Oh-Hi-O....   
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »

It is 15 degrees here right now with blowing snow and way more snow on the way.  We will get out of here (we hope) before it gets real bad on Friday.  The weatherfolks say it is going to be 4 to 6 degrees on Tuesday as a high with -8 degrees as a low...   It takes a trip like this every once in a while to remind me/us of why I'm in Georgia and why I'll be staying in Georgia. 

We are having our New Years meal tonight Thursday because of scheduling issues last night.  It is really a good time being with the kids and grandkids but I'm ready to fly South..   

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »

We are glad to be home, but it was 31º when we landed at ATL..   Thank goodness we are going to miss the DEEP freeze that is coming to Ohio on Tuesday..   Some schools are cancelled already with a high temp of -4º and a low of -12º on tap.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 10:05:23 AM »

We had an adult night out while in Ohio, in the Peninsula area:   We ate at a subset of Russo's that is Bacchus lounge.

Great beers, good pours on the cocktails, excellent seafood, good vibe, a late night place ( behind Russo's )

http://www.russoskitchen.com/

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 07:12:07 AM »
bumping this thread because we'll be visiting Cleveland in early November. we'll be there for a hockey tournament but we will have some time for good eating.
any recommendations are appreciated. we like all kinds of food from fancy places to a good ol hole in the wall. :)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »

Our trip is over, we had fun with the kids and grandkids..  We hit a couple good old places ---   Winking Lizard, and Beau's (at the Hilton). And with some help we found a new place or two worth mentioning. 

The Rail ----  Great burgers, limp fries, fantastic Nutella milkshakes, fun place in Summit Mall

http://www.therailburger.com/#welcome

Nuevo Modern Mexican ----  A tequila bar with some very good food in downtown Akron, perhaps on Main St. 

http://nuevomodmex.com/

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Back from our annual trek to Ohio to see the family and kids & grand kids. 

We stayed in a Hilton Homewood Suittes in Fairlawn and it again was a great place to stay, we have stayed in HHS's in 4 cities and really like them with a complementary breakfast and light dinner (with beer and wine) most nights.  We do not hit the dinners but we do take advantage of the breakfasts some mornings.   

Kids were good, grand kids are growing, we saw a bunch of basketball games played by grandson and others cheered by grand daughter.  Had good meals, went to a brewery, had a wonderful, sane New Years eve with the family and got home before three pretty sober.

We have been to Ken Stewart's Lodge before but went again this year for an adult night out (no babysitters required anymore).  The dinner was good with great specials and a nice wine list and a good craft beer selection.  No complaints except the lobster tail with my surf and turf was overcooked and dry.  It WAS a good dinner overall and the service was top drawer.

http://kenstewarts.com/lodge/

BTW, the game "Pie Face" that we took as a family present was a big hit and gave the youngsters and oldsters a BUNCH of laugh time.  I highly recommend the game..

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:21:20 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »