Author Topic: Pie  (Read 12039 times)

Offline bettylouski

Re: Pie
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 06:32:21 AM »
Pearson sells at most of the weekly outdoor markets, and they are superb.  I've also gotten their peaches at Kroger, but they are not the same - the market peaches are varieties that probably could not survive the shipping/holding, sort of like heirloom tomatoes vs. shipping tomatoes.  The ones are Publix have been good, too, but I haven't seen them labeled as coming from Pearson.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 08:22:49 AM »
I think it's been a great peach year.  We're getting into "free stone" season.

Making a  lot of peach caprese these days.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
I got some Pearson ones at Walmart of all places...they were terrible.
I just got a couple of the publix ones this week...we'll see if i have any luck...Anyone notice they wrinkle within a few days at room temp? Strange.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
I think it's been a great peach year. 

I was just saying this yesterday. Peaches are my favorite and they are just terrific this year, even from the grocery store. Best peach year since 2006.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »
I think it's been a great peach year.

I was just saying this yesterday. Peaches are my favorite and they are just terrific this year, even from the grocery store. Best peach year since 2006.

Guess i've had bad luck! I'll keep trying.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 02:56:52 PM »
If you buy them somewhere where they've probably kept them in a giant walk-in cooler, they most likely won't be the same as if you bought them off the back of a truck or at a smaller market with a small/quick turnover.

Like tomatoes, they will turn mealy and become quite sad, maybe even depressed,  when refrigerated.  I know mealy peaches make me depressed!

And it's tricky, because they still look and smell good. 

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »
I've found that gently tapping them will identify the ones which are dry and mealy. They'll have a hollow sound....i'm still working on this method...so more trials are necessary!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »

On the way to some more Jarrahdale pumpkin/squash pies.  I hope to put them together tomorrow with niece Cassie and Deanne as helpers.

The hard part is over, cooking the dern pumpkin.  It is now draining in a big cheesecloth lines sieve outside on the screen porch overnight, I hope it loses about a quart or two of fluid. 

Thanks to CP I got them peeled and cooked, I had to use the old Foley food mill to get them to the right consistency,  I know I could have opened up a can of pumpkin, but this just feels better. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »

Click on this for more Pumpkin Pies from Jarrahdale Winter Squash pictures

Our pies turned out great, I did have some trouble with one of my older cookie sheets warping in the oven and making the pie uneven, but with a big dollop of whipped cream on it, it will be fine.  I had good kitchen help with Deanne and Cassie doing the hard stuff while I sortof fretted and kept things moving along.  I did have fun, though the day was long.

To kill some time we did have a spice tasting while the pies were in the oven baking, I'm just trying to expand Cassie's palate and get her away from just the hot Chile things I have in my pantry.  Unfortunately I did open up my container of black salt during the tasting, so now my kitchen smells like old eggs.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »
We bought some SC peaches at our local farmers market last Saturday and yesterday I made a pie with a recipe from Saveur that used cinnamon and ginger. The ginger worked nicely with the peaches. Haven't made a pie in a long, long time so my technique was a bit rusty but still it was a pretty good effort.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
OK, it is not technically pie.....
Rumchata cheeecake mini's with an Oreo crust and the unusual sourcream and sugar with a little Rumchata added for additional flavor. And, a few Kahlua cheesecakes mini's with the Oreo crust to boot. Our Daughter is on a roll!
Now, what to do with all the Oreo filling that was removed. I have a pretty cool spoon so maybe I will consider just disposing of the filling orally instead of junking it. I will worry about paying for it when the time comes. Gotta snack when you can!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.