Author Topic: Pie  (Read 12533 times)

Loundry

Re: Pie
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »
No sweet potato, pumpkin, or those kind of custard pies are in your mix?

Yuk.  I think it's the texture that I find off-putting in those kinds of pies.  If they actually had the texture of custard, then I might like them, but they have the fibrous cellulose that feels icky.

I think my favorite pie may be pecan, but sometimes living near my grandma's house where there were 60 apple trees and two quince trees, I'd take a good slice of apple pie (with Loundry's crust, or mine) any time.  When the season was right, grandma would make 2 or 4 pies every day.  She was a pie-crust maven, she did pie crusts like some folks make puff pastry, folding the dough over an application of butter, then folding and rolling, and folding and rolling.  My pie crusts are sometimes that good, but I don't practice enough to get them very consistent.

Interesting.  The rolling and folding did not lend itself to gluten formation?  Then again, if it doesn't in puff pastry, then it shouldn't it pie crust, either.

Pecan pie is just too sweet for me nowadays.  If there was more bacon fat in it to balance the sweetness then I might like it better.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
NYT article about Scratch, a pie shop in North carolina:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/we-made-it-ourselves-scratch-pies/

I MUST find a recipe for the "pantry pie," it sounds wonderful.  And speaking of pies, I just saw Waitress, with Keri Russell.  The pies in that movie are funny and inspirational.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 08:43:12 AM »
I MUST find a recipe for the "pantry pie," it sounds wonderful.  And speaking of pies, I just saw Waitress, with Keri Russell.  The pies in that movie are funny and inspirational.

That movie annoyed me, and I don't think it was just because it was clearly aimed at a female audience.  The tone was cloying and condescending to most of the characters, and I absolutely hated the ending, completely inconsistent with the rest of the film.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
Article on pie as the next new thing from today's Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/dining/17pies.html

That pecan pie looks amazing.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
Mmmmmmmm, PIE!.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Otto

• All I Want is to Photograph and to be Photographed
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »
And speaking of pies, I just saw Waitress, with Keri Russell.  The pies in that movie are funny and inspirational.

That movie annoyed me, and I don't think it was just because it was clearly aimed at a female audience.  The tone was cloying and condescending to most of the characters, and I absolutely hated the ending, completely inconsistent with the rest of the film.

I liked the movie, but it's been a long time.  I do remember the ending troubled me too.

But all this conversation about pie makes my hungry.  I'm baking an apple pie for T-day.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
Write-up on winter citrus in the AJC food section today along with a recipe for Meyer lemon chess pie. 

http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-restaurants-food/in-season-lemons-807734.html

Article says you might find Meyer lemons at the BHFM - anyone seen them there?  A friend gave me one a few weeks ago and it was fabulous, so fragrant.  I made madeleines and brushed them with a syrup of sugar and the lemon juice.  Yummy!

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
I saw some nice Meyer lemons at Fresh Market on Roswell over the weekend but you will pay a premium price there probably.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
I have one that I just picked this week from our tree, but only one. Not sure what to do with only one? Sorry to further disgress from pie but it seemed like a good time to ask.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
I have one that I just picked this week from our tree, but only one. Not sure what to do with only one? Sorry to further disgress from pie but it seemed like a good time to ask.

Make a small pie?

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
Maybe you could use the zest and the juice to make a granita. Makes for a light dessert or an accompaniment to a heavier dessert. Or scoop a little into a cocktail, or on top of oysters.
Food is my favorite.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »

I didn't know you could grow Meyer lemons in Atlanta Liz. Is this an outside tree and do you cover it when the weather is bad?

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
I have been buying really wonderful Georgia peaches, made a peach pie for the 4th that was just right.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
Melomom, where have you gotten them. Thhe season started off very tasty, but the last 3 batched i bought were completely dry and mealy...smelled great but had no juice. All georgia grown....

I've been on a pie kick lately...making them almost weekly!

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »
I bought them at Publix.  They had boxes and boxes of peaches at the Publix tables at the end of the Peachtree Road Race, I had one and it was one of the best I have ever had (either that or I was just glad to have finished the race!).  A friend ordered a box from Pearson Farm in Fort Valley and said they were really excellent.  I am almost positive I have seen boxes of Pearson peaches at the Wednesday Decatur Farmers Market.  But get one at Publix and see what you think - they have been 99 cents a pound.