Author Topic: Pie  (Read 11880 times)

Online Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Pie
« on: November 03, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »

We made pies yesterday, pumpkin pies.  Deeeeelicious.  we used a winter squash a Jarrahdale.

Click on this Making Pumpkin Pies at Home from Scratch pictures

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Otto

• All I Want is to Photograph and to be Photographed
Re: Pie
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Yummy. 

This will be my first Atlanta Thanksgiving in a long time so I plan on making pies.  Perhaps you'll share your recipe?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »
Yummy. 

This will be my first Atlanta Thanksgiving in a long time so I plan on making pies.  Perhaps you'll share your recipe?

I will, it is the height of simplicity. I did it just as the recipes says..

geonuc

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
Nice looking pie.  :)

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »
Well made pumpkin pie is divine.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »
My Mother made the most delicious pumpkin pies when I was a kid. She never wrote down a recipe, just did them from scratch. Lots of cinnamon, brown sugar and allspice I think. She always made a syrup of brown sugar and pecans and topped her pies with that and it melted into the pumpkin. So good, maybe I will try one this Thanksgiving like that.

geonuc

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »
I have my mother's recipe box. Maybe I should look through it for pie recipes. She was never crazy about baking but you never know.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 PM »
My Mother made the most delicious pumpkin pies when I was a kid. She never wrote down a recipe, just did them from scratch. Lots of cinnamon, brown sugar and allspice I think. She always made a syrup of brown sugar and pecans and topped her pies with that and it melted into the pumpkin. So good, maybe I will try one this Thanksgiving like that. 

We always thought that my grandma Burke (lived in Homerville, Ohio), cooked by memory and without recipes, but after she passed away and the old house was sold, we found an interesting old recipe box full of dog-eared scripts that she had followed.  When we were little we couldn't see up on those shelves of the cupboard, but, as my aunt (her daughter) will attest, she kept the current recipe propped up, up there and would peek at it a bit as she went through her paces. 

Hey, I'm not saying that your Mother had a cheat-sheet like mine grandmother did, but I am saying that I am glad to have most of those old dog-eared 3X5 cards from my grandma in that time honored box to peek at if I need to..    ;)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 04:21:02 PM »
I wish she had written down some of the dishes she cooked. But I am a lot like her and don't usually like to cook from recipes except when I am baking bread or cooking ethnic dishes then I follow them pretty closely. Your pies look delicious, by the way, GG.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:10:16 PM by AndyBoy »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »
I wish she had written down some of the dishes she cooked. But I am a lot like her and don't usually like to cook from recipes except when I am baking bread or cooking ethnic dishes then I follow them pretty closely. Your pies look delicious, by the way, GG2. 

I thank you for the compliment..    I do not/have not made Pumkin/Squash pies from scratch enough to do them by rote.  I could have fumbled my way through the custard of course, but I wanted to know what the folks that wrote the recipe knew.  We are way satisfied with how the pies turned out (with the draining caveat). 

geonuc

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »
Hey, I'm not saying that your Mother had a cheat-sheet like mine grandmother did, but I am saying that I am glad to have most of those old dog-eared 3X5 cards from my grandma in that time honored box to peek at if I need to..    ;)
A box with 3x5 cards - that's what I have from my mother. She also clipped recipes from magazines and such.

The pumpkin pie recipe I found in there is pretty basic and it's written in my sister's handwriting. Mom was not a baker.  ;D

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
In the past I've made some killer apple pies, but I've never been much of a baker either.

Perhaps, I outta give pie baking another try.

Loundry

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
I have been putting off making pie ever since I acquired some leaf lard.  I have the marble slab, the leaf lard, and the ingenious recipe from Cooks Illustrated (it uses vodka in the dough to provide moisture without promoting gluten -- and the alcohol bakes off in the oven!).

But what pie should I make?  Steve wants berry pie, provided the berries have those little seeds in them (blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries, girlsenberries...)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 05:39:16 PM »
I have been putting off making pie ever since I acquired some leaf lard.  I have the marble slab, the leaf lard, and the ingenious recipe from Cooks Illustrated (it uses vodka in the dough to provide moisture without promoting gluten -- and the alcohol bakes off in the oven!).

But what pie should I make?  Steve wants berry pie, provided the berries have those little seeds in them (blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries, girlsenberries...)

No sweet potato, pumpkin, or those kind of custard pies are in your mix?  I do love me some of the old, old, fashioned sweet potato pies that CP's relatives make consistently good and I try to copy.  I make a pretty good Sweet potato pie, but of course it's just not quite like NeNaw's pie,   ;)  I'll work on it again toward Christmas.

I think my favorite pie may be pecan, but sometimes living near my grandma's house where there were 60 apple trees and two quince trees, I'd take a good slice of apple pie (with Loundry's crust, or mine) any time.  When the season was right, grandma would make 2 or 4 pies every day.  She was a pie-crust maven, she did pie crusts like some folks make puff pastry, folding the dough over an application of butter, then folding and rolling, and folding and rolling.  My pie crusts are sometimes that good, but I don't practice enough to get them very consistent.

The Cooks Illustrated recipe is now the only one I use..  it kicks ass.

I would email you the CI recipe if you want to get a feel for it?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:55:37 PM by GadgetGeek »

Offline Otto

• All I Want is to Photograph and to be Photographed
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »

We made pies yesterday, pumpkin pies.  Deeeeelicious.  we used a winter squash a Jarrahdale.

GG, I finally made the pumpkin pie but had a few set backs.   
1. didn't have dried ginger so used fresh. 
2. could only use about 1/3rd of the evaporated milk.  Too much filling.

However, it was still quite good.