Author Topic: New Year's traditions  (Read 2585 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
New Year's traditions
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
Saw some interesting posts about folks eating pork roast and kraut for traditional Ohio/Pennsylvania NYD food so I thought I'd start this thread. Growing up in Western NY, we used to have the extended family over for standing rib roast but I think that was just our family tradition more than any regional or ethnic thing.

Had friends and family over for our own family's "traditional" NYD brunch today, which we have been doing for about 15 years. The menu today was collards cooked with Patak bacon, a vegetarian black-eyed pea recipe from Moosewood International Cookbook that is really yummy, a ham, a quiche with goat cheese, red bell pepper, spinach and mushroom, and various pastries from Alons. We had mimosa and bloody mary fixins but most stuck with coffee. Dessert was some sponge candy from Buffalo Christmas, home-made pizzelles made by a guest, and my cousins' take on heath bar candy. Nice time with nice folks.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: New Year's traditions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »
Sorry I wasn't there - the people didn't come over until 4, so I was twiddling my thumbs. Would have been a fun time over at the brunch...and I needed a Mary...

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
We do the ham, collards, and black eyed peas for our traditional NYD meal.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »
Knockers (knockwurst) and kraut here. I always hated it, though I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad now that I'm grown up. I don't do it personally because I have bad associations with sauerkraut and I'm really dead-set against doing anything superstitious.

When I was a kid, though, I used to make the meal bearable by taking a short length of the sausage and gluing limbs and facial features onto it with sauerkraut for the legs and mashed potatoes for the glue. My parents didn't seem to mind my playing with my food, so long as I did eventually eat it.

Sometimes we had fried sauerkraut balls - the kind you get frozen and bake in the oven - instead of regular kraut. I liked those a lot better.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »
Sometimes we had fried sauerkraut balls - the kind you get frozen and bake in the oven - instead of regular kraut. I liked those a lot better.

huh... never seen or heard of those... but frying anything in a ball can only make it a good thing better!

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:52:46 PM »
http://www.ordervfoods.com/sauerkrautballs.html

I guess I didn't realize that it was specifically an Akron thing.

Now I feel obligated to find out if any stores in our area carry them, as I don't see an option for ordering them online. I'm pretty sure that I saw them somewhere recently, but now of course it's completely slipped my mind where it was.

Until then, here's a recipe. http://recipes.bgkulinar.net/recipe-Ohio+Sauerkraut+Balls-4295

Hmm. I suppose there are more regional Akron specialties than I thought. I think I need to make some City Chicken some time soon.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »
http://www.ordervfoods.com/sauerkrautballs.html

I guess I didn't realize that it was specifically an Akron thing.

Now I feel obligated to find out if any stores in our area carry them, as I don't see an option for ordering them online. I'm pretty sure that I saw them somewhere recently, but now of course it's completely slipped my mind where it was.

Until then, here's a recipe. http://recipes.bgkulinar.net/recipe-Ohio+Sauerkraut+Balls-4295

Hmm. I suppose there are more regional Akron specialties than I thought. I think I need to make some City Chicken some time soon. 

I am posting those family recipes in the recipe section..  Let me know how they turn out for you..   You know, they are not just for breakfast anymore..?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »
This year we had 11 over for our regular NYD menu:

Michael Chiarello's Forever Roasted Pork Butt
Mark Bittman's 15 minute twice-garlicky Collard Greens
my own Black Eyed pea recipe
Cornbread - one iron skillet of yellow and one  of blue

We're finishing up the pig and cornbread tonite. . .