Author Topic: Patak's  (Read 13394 times)

Offline Corky

Re: Patak's
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »

ETA - getting to things can be a pain though, if that's what you're referring to ;) When I cleaned it out to sell it I found all kinds of stuff I didn't remember having.

exactly, its very hard to keep track of what's in there, and get stuff out. I even tried with excel spreadsheets but it never worked...

I'll never buy another chest type freezer mainly for the reasons you listed. Tried keeping an inventory sheet hanging next to the freezer, that didn't work. Have to unload the whole freezer if you know something is close to the bottom or bought a long time ago. Now where are those quail I didn't use at Christmas?
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
I'd guess the only way would be to dedicate sections of the freezer to general foodstuff categories. At least you wouldn't have to dig through the whole thing to look for those steaks...

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
I tried that too. Within 2 months evetythign has fallen on top of everything else. It helped...but still very annoying.

Anyone want to buy a chest freezer:)?

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
. . .
Anyone want to buy a chest freezer:)?

Chest freezers convert into excellent beer kegerators, depending on the size.  Also very efficient for homebrewers making lager beer.

Offline totm

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 07:20:15 AM »
Saw some Patak's products in the Eastern European Deli at BHFM Saturday.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 08:51:48 AM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:03:28 AM by uOTPia Dweller »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 09:16:37 AM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:18:08 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »
Did 'em uncooked - since I was going to originally gill outdoors, the cooked would have been overdone from the indirect heat by the time I had the grill marks down. Since I essentially panfried them, cooked would have been fine - the sear would only have taken a couple of minutes on each side. I was hoping they had some of the cheese brats made, but no...

I've used Modelo before - bring it up to temp slowly and let them simmer for about 20-30 min, and it works fine (I like the flavor the malt adds). I don't store them for long in Modelo, though - I've been able to get away with a couple of hours by using a regular lager. Didn't do any onions, either.

If you're going to be around the store tomorrow, I'll stop by with a hunk of the ring sausage - looked good hanging there...

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
Smoked Hungarian salami = excellent.

That is all.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Cooking up some Patak bacon right now on my "mental health" day off (Mom arrives on Sunday for a two week stay). Last time I was there, about two weeks ago, I noticed that they had raised the prices a bit. Still totally worth the pilgrimage. Bacon is now $3.19 a pound.

True story:

Facebook friend in Buffalo "just got a delivery of the crack bacon from Atlanta". Me "would that happen to be Patak's bacon?" BINGO. Their fame is spreading.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
FG and I started the holiday celebrations with a midday excursion to Patak's.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, since we waited about an hour to get out of there, but we came away with our objectives fulfilled.  Bacon, corned beef, Hungarian salami, brats and debrecena all looked great. 

Guy behind us in line said he's seen lines twice that long, and I don't doubt it.  If you're going, make it early.  Also beware that they close at 1:00 on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
Had some of Patak's hot smoked salmon at a party a few weeks ago, and it had to be the finest example ever.  DH was skeptical when I told him they'd be serving it, but he couldn't stop eating it.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 06:51:18 AM »
I was hoping to hop over there to get a couple of smoked products so's I can eat myself into a meat coma over the holidays. Oy.

I still think that having the ability to get your bacon sliced just the thickness you want is one of the great things about Patak - a thick rasher has it's place. And I want some smoked liverwurst in the wurst way... :)