Author Topic: Patak's  (Read 13780 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Patak's
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »
Just noticed that there's no Patak thread, and it's a pretty terrific place, so I thought I'd start one.

Incidentally, does anyone know if they're open tomorrow? First Saturday of the month, but also day after a holiday. I guess I'll check the website and report back.

Just checked. Website says closed the 2nd, but open on the 9th. Website is HERE
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:56:17 AM by Foodgeek »
Food is my favorite.

Offline Minerva

Re: Patak's
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:12:45 AM »
Funny to see how many of Patak's goods are popping up for sale elsewhere. The Butcher's Market in Woodstock is carrying a lot of their stuff now, including the smoked liverwurst (one of my faves), several sausages and the smoked rib pork chops. Owner credits Patak's with having the best cured meats around.

And of course Harry's has sveral items, though they want you to think they are made in house.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

geonuc

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »
Buford Highway Farmers Market carries Patak products, as well.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
A LONG time fan - I'm stuck here at the house (or else I'd be at LizR's brunch), so I'm digging into supplies from Monday. The spicy Hungarian salami is pretty good - scrambled eggs and the salami are on the menu for tomorrow morning - along with the house cured bacon. The pastrami is also very well done - nice flavor, and I may go grab some kraut and rye bread to make pastrami reubens. Kabanos and landjager sausages for football, and I'm set. Just had a pastrami sammie with swiss, spicy mustard, and a weakness of mine, bread-and-butter pickles. So good, I may make another.

I think one of the best things they make is the liverwurst - fresh and smoked. The smoked doesn't last long, so don't buy massive quantities (or if it's been sitting around someone's store). The fresh is available at YDFM, but again, it doesn't last as long as the mass-produced product, so use it up. I've had some less-than stellar sammiches made from product I've had sitting around for a while.

They also have my fav marzipan bars (Niederegger). No pigs, tho.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
+1 on the smoked liverwurst.  stuff is insanely good.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »
The really crappy thing about Patak is how it has ruined a lot of other meats for me. Just had a YDFM kielbasa and the whole time I was eating it I kept thinking: this is not as good as Patak's, this sausage is kind of tough compared to Patak's, this sausage is grizzlier than Patak's, this saugage is saltier than Patak's, etc. And forget any other bacon - not worth the calories.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
Had a conversation the other day about brats, and told the person about Patak's. She was surprised that a 'local' was that inexpensive - it's about the same price as that Johnsonville stuff at Kroger. Wish it was closer, but then again, I'd be a bit larger than what I am now... :)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
The really crappy thing about Patak is how it has ruined a lot of other meats for me. Just had a YDFM kielbasa and the whole time I was eating it I kept thinking: this is not as good as Patak's, this sausage is kind of tough compared to Patak's, this sausage is grizzlier than Patak's, this saugage is saltier than Patak's, etc. And forget any other bacon - not worth the calories.

Liz they (YDFM) sells Patak products but not a wide variety of them ..  the meat case against the wall across from the Cheese island is where it is.. Sometimes they have a good variety?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »
You know...somehow i always forget about them, and i don't even live that far...i really need to make it over there.
I think the problem is that they close pretty early and aren't open most saturdays, and i've heard horror stories of the saturdays that they ARE open.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »

Liz they (YDFM) sells Patak products but not a wide variety of them ..  the meat case against the wall across from the Cheese island is where it is.. Sometimes they have a good variety?

They tend to run out of the good stuff from Patak from what I hear...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
GG - I know about the farmer's market stuff but I had a couple of bad experiences a few of years ago re the freshness of their Patak stuff - I think it was the liverwurst in particular. Have you had good ones? I am mainly about the fresh sausages and the bacon, and I don't think that YDFM carries those, do they?

Jason - I always go on Mondays bc I am off of work then. I have gone on a Saturday and waited but it is not too long a wait. Those ladies keep it movin' (I think my FIL is a bit scared of them!). Worth it in my opinion, especially if you have room in your freezer to stock up.

Every time I go, I keep expecting them to have raised their prices but they remain ridiculously low. It easily makes up for the 50-mile round-trip gas costs.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Well, since i just bought a new freezer to replace my stupid ass chest freezer (by the way, buy an upright freezer if you plan to buy a freezer...chest freezers are a PAIN, although much cheaper), i should go to stock it up!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »
Apparently they're open until 6:30 on thursday and friday, and 6 other days...that isn't that early. For some reason i thought they closed at about 5 every day!

Offline Girly

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:52:57 PM »
Well, since i just bought a new freezer to replace my stupid ass chest freezer (by the way, buy an upright freezer if you plan to buy a freezer...chest freezers are a PAIN, although much cheaper), i should go to stock it up!

What didn't you like about it? I had a chest freezer for 10 years with no problems. Just sold it on Craigslist (moving). Before I had my generator it even kept everything frozen for 30+ hours when Ivan came through and knocked the power out.

ETA - getting to things can be a pain though, if that's what you're referring to ;) When I cleaned it out to sell it I found all kinds of stuff I didn't remember having.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:42:13 PM by Girly »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:15:16 PM »

ETA - getting to things can be a pain though, if that's what you're referring to ;) When I cleaned it out to sell it I found all kinds of stuff I didn't remember having.

exactly, its very hard to keep track of what's in there, and get stuff out. I even tried with excel spreadsheets but it never worked...