Author Topic: Food trends for 2010  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
Food trends for 2010
« on: December 30, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »
These seem pretty spot-on to me:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2009/11/epicurious-predicts-top-ten-food-trends-for-2010.html

What are your predictions for 2010?  What will be hot?  What will be not?

Offline Barnum

Re: Food trends for 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »
These seem pretty spot-on to me:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2009/11/epicurious-predicts-top-ten-food-trends-for-2010.html

What are your predictions for 2010?  What will be hot?  What will be not?

I would pretty much agree with all those also.  My only question is how far will Atlanta trail the 2010 trends?  Maybe 12-18 months?  Some of those "out" trends, such as burgers and mixologists, seem to have some momentum around town into the first half of next year.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:01:20 AM »
Here's another take.
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2009/11/12/food-trend-predictions-for-2010/

I particularly like the idea that "tart" is the new bitter.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline totm

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:24:57 AM »
Beer kits?  How is that hyperlocal.  Now if you're growing your own barley and hops, mashing, sparging, boiling, mutliple hop additions, fermenting, kegging/bottling then that my qualify.

No suprise on Vancouver.

"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Loundry

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
Here's another take.
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2009/11/12/food-trend-predictions-for-2010/

I particularly like the idea that "tart" is the new bitter.

I don't know about y'all, but fresh limes are right underneath "salt and pepper" on the "important flavors" hierarchy.  (Lemons work too, but limes are cheaper, and what I'm really after is the citric acid rather than the strict flavor of lemon or lime.)  They frequently, but not always, make it to the table next to the pepper mill and the sriracha.  Oh wait, I guess that means sriracha is technically above lime...

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
Butchery is the next trend? But I'm already tired of it! ;D

But now I can't wait for Blais to open up a N2 fried chicken operation.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »
Southerners will be happy to know that fried chicken and Moonpies are the next big things.  They never went away as far as they know.

I see three trends from 2009.  At the high end was farm-to-table, at the low end was McDonald's winning the fast food wars, and in the middle was the anxious average American shunning middlebrow eateries and cooking more at home.  All were tied to the recession: a reaction to fear of unemployment, loss of assets and concern that the boom times produced too much waste and unwise spending.  Until the economy perks up and people start feeling secure again, they won't change their general outlook. 

The soothsayers may be right about the specifics, but predicting the future is notoriously hard.  Just take a look at some hilariously off-target predictions people supposedly in the know have made.  It's because the natural tendency is to assume current conditions will go on indefinitely, and so the future will be just like the present only moreso.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline freakerdude

• Livin' it up in the Sunshine state
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
Will these continue on?

dessert shots - were they ever really popular?

sliders - I just don't understand the mini burger concept.

product overload - grocery stores are overloaded with similar products making decisions very difficult.
Will work for BBQ

Offline Barnum

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »

I kinda like the slider thing.  As an app, I think it's great to be able to share.  As a main, it's nice to have a little more variety (I would not be interested in 3 if the SAME burger... not a lot of point there).  Guess I'm still not a huge burger fan and enjoy some variety and the things with the burger and less interested in a half a ground cow sitting on a bun in front of me...independent of how it's cooked.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:17:58 AM »
Will these continue on?

dessert shots - were they ever really popular?

I like the idea of dessert shots, you can have a nice bite or two of a good dessert without eating a bunch of unwanted calories, or you can try a couple different ones and get a good taste of each.  Sortof like Tapas desserts

I like these too, I am usually not a fan of a HUGE burger, and would rather try some interesting (if possible) sides and a smaller burger/bun combination.  Depending on how small the sliders are, it is also good to be able to taste two kinds of the ones being offered.

product overload - grocery stores are overloaded with similar products making decisions very difficult.

I may not understand this one?   I do like a variety of products, even if they are the same thing, I dislike buying from a general store that has one kind of baking powder, and one or two types of beer etc.  I do good in places like DFM, and Super H. Mart etc. where they show pot-stickers (and other things) that are from several different sources, it gives me a chance to find one (over time) that I really like.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:12:09 AM by GadgetGeek »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:24:54 AM »
I also prefer several small portions of different items to one huge one plate of something. I enjoy tasting a variety of things, and this is especially true for desserts, which I rarely order, so it's fun to have a couple of "sample" sizes to share with my SO.

Regarding "overstocked" markets, I spend an inordinate amount of time in grocery aisles reading labels looking for product differences. It's frustrating when there are three of something that are basically the same, ingredient-wise. Having said that, I do agree with GG in that I like having the choices.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
I actually like the dessert shot and slider concepts because many times those portion sizes are all I want (in the context of the meal).  Most of the time I end up eating half or less of a typical restaurant portion, and while I can certainly take leftovers home, some things - like a burger hot off the grill - just don't taste as good reheated the next day.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 08:47:03 AM »
Not to jump on the "me too" bandwagon, but I prefer any time I can more tastes of different foods, so I like these as well. Tapas, dim sum, chef's tastings, you name it.

For me, small desserts and sliders fit this bill.
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Loundry

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »
I love sliders because I like to make a buttload of interesting condiments and then let people mix these to create very different burgers.  Chunky gringo guacamole, harissa, caramelized onions, crispy fried shallots, garlic green chile, etc.

Offline Roxro

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
Just had 2 mini-sliders with cheese, relish and carmelized onions for lunch.  I love little burgers because anything over a quarter pound is too much for me.  But, it is hard to find sliders that aren't overcooked and dry.

As far as beer-making, I have been growing hops for years that my chemist husband uses when making beer.