Author Topic: Fondue  (Read 2544 times)

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
Fondue
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »

We are bailing on going to First Night here in Akron..   So we decided to get out my Son In Law's old Fondue pots and some others and put together a fodue experience on New Years Eve...

I have not done fondue in years 'n years and would love to hear REAL recipes for any fondue, especially beef.  We are leaning to cooking beef and then shrimp in broth rather than oil..  What are the downsides and upsided of that..
What should we add to the broth, ( herbs-spices, etc. )

We have the chocolate fondue pretty well figured out, but also would take suggestions on Cheese fondue..  things to dip, things to add, etc.

( this is GG typing in CP's logon )...

>>>>   7 degrees here in Ohio  >>>>

Offline A_Russian_Cook

• American recipes with a Russian twist!
Re: Fondue
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
-------------------------------------------
Join my blog - http://marinasrecipebox.wordpress.com

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
If you are going to go with the broth method, I'd recommend making it more like an Asian hot pot: Broth, meat, lots of veggies and some sort of dipping sauce. I like fish cakes in my broth too, because they add a slight sweet flavor as they steep.

I like my dipping sauce to contain soy, sesame, peanut sauce, hoisin, sriracha, msg, chili paste, ginger, fish sauce, etc. Do you think you can gather some things that would be sufficient for a good hot pot where you are?
Food is my favorite.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »
If you are going to go with the broth method, I'd recommend making it more like an Asian hot pot: Broth, meat, lots of veggies and some sort of dipping sauce. I like fish cakes in my broth too, because they add a slight sweet flavor as they steep.

I like my dipping sauce to contain soy, sesame, peanut sauce, hoisin, sriracha, msg, chili paste, ginger, fish sauce, etc. Do you think you can gather some things that would be sufficient for a good hot pot where you are?

Yes most of that is now available even here in Akron..   My son Todd has found a couple Asian grocery stores that I didn't know existed.. and the rest is easily available at either West Point Mkt. or at Acme...  thanks ...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:02:24 PM by GadgetGeek »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.