Author Topic: Iconic Atlanta foodstuffs?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Iconic Atlanta foodstuffs?
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
Hi All,

I signed up on the Serious Eats watercooler group to exchange a food box with a partner. I got someone in CT. Any ideas on what I should send her in terms of Atlanta food? Or something that we can get here that she can't get there? I'm thinking Patak bacon but not exactly sure how to manage getting it there without compromising the quality. Freeze it and put it in a insulated bag? What other items would you recommend? I need about $35 worth of things. Savory, sweet, coffee tea, etc. just not mushrooms (!). Thanks in advance.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Iconic Atlanta foodstuffs?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:34:18 PM »
Hi All,

I signed up on the Serious Eats watercooler group to exchange a food box with a partner. I got someone in CT. Any ideas on what I should send her in terms of Atlanta food? Or something that we can get here that she can't get there? I'm thinking Patak bacon but not exactly sure how to manage getting it there without compromising the quality. Freeze it and put it in a insulated bag? What other items would you recommend? I need about $35 worth of things. Savory, sweet, coffee tea, etc. just not mushrooms (!). Thanks in advance.

Cured, smoked bacon is good on the counter for a week or so if bagged tightly.    How 'bout Doux South pickles, a bottle or two of Sweetwater beer (or any of the other dozens of brewery's here), Some boiled peanuts, a Moon Pie..   I could add more if you like ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
Pecan pie, or pecans from Stone Mountain Pecan.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:47:28 AM »
I did something similar a few years back for a gift exchange.  I remember including a bottle of wine from Chateau Elan, because it really fit their taste preferances.  A mixed six pack of Georgia beer could work also.  Try World Market, if your regular beer place doesn't offer single bottles.  If I remember correctly, I also splurged on the shipping and included a couple of cheeses that would travel okay with a cold pack.

If you're in the mood, you could travel up towards Helen to one of the mills to get grits.  Most of the bigger mills have a gift shop that carries all kinds of stuff (jams, nuts, etc.), so you may be able to find more things there.  I think a lot of them are only open during the day though - Nora Mill closes at 5:00 every day.

H & F Bread carries a few retail items, some of which you might want to include.  I assume Star Provisions would also.  When I was at Buford Highway Farmers Market, I noticed they have a Georgia section with a good variety of things.  I bought a bottle of the Georgia made olive oil there (that I've yet to use).  Not sure if that would really be iconic exactly though.  The section is in the American aisle right next to the deli.

If you're still having trouble deciding on specific items, try out these two websites:

Georgia Grown's product page  They have links to the sites of their members.  I also thought they were opening a store, but I didn't see anything about it on their site.  (But that may have been a store in the airport, now that I think about it.)

UGA's Flavor of Georgia Contest  The past few years, UGA's Agricultural college has set up a contest to give Georgia food products more exposure.  This site gives a little info on the winners.

Have fun putting together your package.  Let us know if you need any more help.

-Greg

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »
I like the grits and cornbread suggestion which you can also buy in sack at ydfm
sorghum syrup?
moonshine?

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
How about Rev, Octane, or local coffee?

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
Sad about Ms. Ann!

Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions. Things are starting to come together now - I'm thinking some "southern" foods but also just some gourmet foods (preferably produced in GA), since this is a food board-related exchange. Patak bacon is going in there for sure.

I can't believe it, but I did NOT know about the Georgia section of BHFM. I'm headed there tomorrow to check it out. Lately I've been sucked into the vortex that is the new European aisle.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »
Sad about Ms. Ann!

Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions. Things are starting to come together now - I'm thinking some "southern" foods but also just some gourmet foods (preferably produced in GA), since this is a food board-related exchange. Patak bacon is going in there for sure.

I can't believe it, but I did NOT know about the Georgia section of BHFM. I'm headed there tomorrow to check it out. Lately I've been sucked into the vortex that is the new European aisle.

Is there anything from the Varsity that can be sent ?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
Sad about Ms. Ann!

No disrespect but I thought her burgers were a greasy mess.  I have been in there when she cut open a tube of that lowest priced, fat beef and made burgers.  I guess it is another one of those situational cuisine things like the Varsity, Krystal,  and other places we know.  I'm sad to see her go, but I went twice (once to make sure I was right the first time) and will go almost anywhere else for a burger..

Offline Corky

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:15:45 AM »
The Varsity sells their chili canned.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline gwilson

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
Made a trip back to BHFM today really just to kill some time after dinner.  Went to where I remember the Georgia section being, and it wasn't there.  But there was a display in the middle of the produce department that was all Georgia stuff.  Not sure if they're just experimenting with the idea or what, but I hope it'll be a permanent (and maybe expanded) feature for them.  Also against the side wall in between produce and the bakery there were two shelving units with Georgia made honey and jams.

-Greg

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »
The one time I had a ghetto burger at Ms. Ann's I enjoyed it. You are right, though, Mike - she did use those nasty tubes of beef product. Guess it was the toppings that made it.

Greg - thanks for the update. I should have posted this sooner - I found that out last Thursday. The new European aisle sign includes a "local products" section, but, as I found out from the hipster cheese monger, the GA section is indeed on a central column in the produce section. Almost everything was very expensive but I did end up getting a bag of local caramel popcorn snack. Wish they had told me about the other section with the additional jams and honey.

It was interesting, part of what I decided while thinking about this box is that Atlanta is in some ways defined by the large number of cultures represented here now. I ended up with some Southern things: White Lily flour, grits, GA caramel kettle corn, Chachere's jambalaya mix, Asher blue cheese from GA, Patak bacon. The rest are things that are from all over that I thought would be fun to receive myself: Korean fried cracker ball snack, Hungarian Szeged paprika, Chinese "organic" green tea, Korean shrimp crackers, Badia saffron, Korean Pepero almond and chocolate sticks , Japanese bourbon chocolate cookies, Thai green curry paste packet, Indonesian coconut veggie stew packet, and Swedish citron salt flakes.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
The one time I had a ghetto burger at Ms. Ann's I enjoyed it. You are right, though, Mike - she did use those nasty tubes of beef product. Guess it was the toppings that made it.

Greg - thanks for the update. I should have posted this sooner - I found that out last Thursday. The new European aisle sign includes a "local products" section, but, as I found out from the hipster cheese monger, the GA section is indeed on a central column in the produce section. Almost everything was very expensive but I did end up getting a bag of local caramel popcorn snack. Wish they had told me about the other section with the additional jams and honey.

It was interesting, part of what I decided while thinking about this box is that Atlanta is in some ways defined by the large number of cultures represented here now. I ended up with some Southern things: White Lily flour, grits, GA caramel kettle corn, Chachere's jambalaya mix, Asher blue cheese from GA, Patak bacon. The rest are things that are from all over that I thought would be fun to receive myself: Korean fried cracker ball snack, Hungarian Szeged paprika, Chinese "organic" green tea, Korean shrimp crackers, Badia saffron, Korean Pepero almond and chocolate sticks , Japanese bourbon chocolate cookies, Thai green curry paste packet, Indonesian coconut veggie stew packet, and Swedish citron salt flakes.

So few place have the ability to put together a multicultural basked/bag like that.   I feel so gifted living in Atlanta.