Author Topic: Best Chinese as of 3/16/15  (Read 1588 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Best Chinese as of 3/16/15
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
Hi - just wondering what places/chefs are the go-to Chinese right now. My DH wants to take his visiting boss out for Chinese (boss is from outside NYC) and asked me to check. Any suggestions? Steve D?

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
Re: Best Chinese as of 3/16/15
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »
Depends on how adventurous said boss is. Gu's Bistro just closed, so bad timing there. But Tasty China is still as good as ever IMO.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
Thanks. That is a good suggestion. My only problem with TC is that the bathrooms are sort of gross - it does  kind of make me wonder about the kitchen. I see that their food inspection scores are ok though. I don't worry too much about that in general, but would like to make a good impression on an out-of-town visiting big boss.

Supposedly he "likes ethnic", whatever that means, so I think he is adventurous. Any ideas for other "ethnic"?

Offline drummerpop

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
Well, "ethnic" is a broad category. You could go Vietnamese with Nam Phuong Restaurant (it's BYOB, so that could work in your favor). Or there's Rumi's Kitchen for premiere Persian cuisine.
drummerpop

"I hanker for a hunk of cheese!"

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »
Thanks. That is a good suggestion. My only problem with TC is that the bathrooms are sort of gross - it does  kind of make me wonder about the kitchen. I see that their food inspection scores are ok though. I don't worry too much about that in general, but would like to make a good impression on an out-of-town visiting big boss.

Supposedly he "likes ethnic", whatever that means, so I think he is adventurous. Any ideas for other "ethnic"?

As I have long professed, those who claim to like ethnic food but blanch at a sketchy bathroom don't really like ethnic food.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:57 AM »
Masterpiece is purty dern good.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:39:38 AM »
Thanks. I was trying to remember "Masterpiece". And I'll check out the other suggestions as well.

Hrothgar - I generally agree, although last time I was in Oriental Pearl (which has a moderately ok bathroom) I had a glimpse in the kitchen and I almost don't want to go back. Which is saying a lot because I have probably got too permissive an attitude about food safety issues.

Trying to play it a bit on the safe side in terms of cleanliness since this guy is a big boss and we have never met him before.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »
Not super ethnic...but Miso Izakaya is always nice.

But maybe ethnic means Fritti, Sotto Sotto or Amazza!

Always daunting with out of town visitors.

Oh, have you been to Cabbage Pie yet?  A really good addition to our 'hood.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! They did end up at Tasty China and everyone enjoyed it.

We love Miso (though the wine pours are really small seeming).

Have not made it to Cabbage Pie yet. I have to admit that I did not get the name at all at first (cabbage = Cabbagetown, pie=pizza). Just thought, what a weird name for a restaurant - who eats cabbage pie? I mean, I like Eastern European food, but seemed like and odd choice.  ::)