Author Topic: Meat lawsuit  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Minerva

Meat lawsuit
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
In researching meat grades and butchers, I came across this posting.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/12/24/Commerce.pdf

Apparently, Publix is being sued in Florida by a consumer group for misleading labeling of its beef.
The complainants allege that "Publix Premium Beef" labels make customers think they are buying a higher grade of beef when in reality it is choice grade.

I believe there are three categories of USDA choice based on marbling, but I cannot find any statement  from Publix on the 'net that specifies exactly what category their choice beef falls under.

The suit asks for a jury trial. That's one jury I'd like to be on.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Re: Meat lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »
Beef comes in three grades: prime, choice and select.  Grades are based on the amount of connective tissue, external fat and marbled fat.  You probably won't find prime in a Publix, only at restaurants and specialty meat stores, because there isn't much of it, and it's way more expensive than other grades.  Any steaks or roasts in Publix will be choice.  Select is mostly for stewing/braising.  

"Premium" is one of those marketing terms that means nothing to the USDA, so Publix could legally use it however it wished.  How it applied that label to some products and not others is a bit murky, which may be the basis of the lawsuit.  They also complain about the use of "certified" and "Publix inspected" on the labels in lettering more prominent than "choice."  I don't think it has much chance of succeeding unless the bad publicity prompts Publix to discontinue it.

Modified to add: other grades for beef below select are standard, utility and canner, but they would not be sold fresh at a supermarket.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:16:31 AM by The_Scientist »
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Minerva

Re: Meat lawsuit
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown