Author Topic: Eggs....  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Eggs....
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:23:08 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Eggs....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »
So, Mike, sounds like you are having some good luck sous viding soft boiled/poached eggs. I have a question - Kenji's soft boiled eggs look a little too runny for me. I am, admittedly, picky about the white being pretty much not runny for poached eggs, but the yolk still at least mostly liquid. I realize that this is a difficult window. We made some eggs with our old sv machine and they were just bizarre and unpleasant. Sort of gooey/chewy. How are you cooking your eggs with the Anova? Is the white runny? Thanks in advance! Liz

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:03:59 PM »
So, Mike, sounds like you are having some good luck sous viding soft boiled/poached eggs. I have a question - Kenji's soft boiled eggs look a little too runny for me. I am, admittedly, picky about the white being pretty much not runny for poached eggs, but the yolk still at least mostly liquid. I realize that this is a difficult window. We made some eggs with our old sv machine and they were just bizarre and unpleasant. Sort of gooey/chewy. How are you cooking your eggs with the Anova? Is the white runny? Thanks in advance! Liz 

Our eggs (two times) were a teeny bit runny as far as the whites go, but we both liked the flavor and though it takes a long time, they were pretty dumb-proof.. 

I have read way too much about cooking eggs SV..      I like the idea of the eggs cooked at 75ºC for 12-13 minutes.

see this article..

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/75-c-egg

M-GG-S>-  added later    >>>> I have not tried this  <<<<

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:36:21 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
Thanks!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »

Tried the 75º C for 14 minutes and it was some better but not there yet..  I'm avoiding doing a two stage cook on the eggs because I think we should be able to do it in one..   

The yolks were perfect but the whites still slightly runny..    Not AS runny but not like I could do in a saucepan.. 

practice, practice...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the info. When you perfect them, let me know!! :0)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »

M-GG-S>- This is BS.     why go through these steps when a couple of poached eggs are an easy target... 

1  Adjust sous-vide cooker to 143°F. Alternatively, fill a large beer cooler with hot water and use a kettle of boiling water to adjust heat to 146°F. Add eggs to sous-vide cooker or to cooler (cover if using cooler) and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from cooler and allow to cool slightly.

2   Bring a medium pot of water to a bare simmer, then lower heat until bubbles cease entirely. Working on egg at a time, carefully crack the egg near the fat end and use your fingertips to peel off an area about 1 1/2 inches square. Invert egg over a small bowl. It should slip out of the shell easily. Repeat with remaining eggs, using a separate small bowl for each.

3   Using a perforated spoon, carefully pick up eggs one at a time and dump out excess loose whites from bowls. Return eggs to bowls. Once all eggs are drained, carefully slip the eggs into the pot, swirling the water occasionally to prevent eggs from sticking to bottom. Cook until outer whites are just set, about 1 minute. Retrieve eggs with the perforated spoon and serve immediately. Alternatively, eggs can be stored in cold water in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place eggs in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes until warm.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:56:01 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
Not sure. Sounds like a real pain. That was why I was asking about your experience with the soft cooked eggs. On the other hand I do love me some Kenji and based on years of experience he is rarely wrong...