Author Topic: In the Absence of Harry's - Standing Rib  (Read 473 times)

Offline mikeamor

• Email
In the Absence of Harry's - Standing Rib
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
We have always gotten a standing rib roast from Harry's for New Year's.  It was nice because they could custom cut it to the size and from the end we wanted.  Who has some tips on where to go now now?
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: In the Absence of Harry's - Standing Rib
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »
I think almost anywhere will custom cut it for you if you ask. I don't have a specific store in mind but I will say that in my experience, I wouldn't bother trying to find some superior grade for prime rib. Regular, supermarket prime rib roasts are pretty terrific. I happened to notice yesterday in a flyer that Save a Lot has them on sale for $5.99 a pound. Doesn't get much cheaper than that. Publix or Kroger often have specials around the holidays. Happy prime ribbing!

Offline Minerva

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »
We get ours at Fresh Market and have always been very pleased with the quality. I do think if you want a custom cut it would be wise to order a bit in advance due to customer meat frenzy they are subject to every holiday.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:20:42 AM »
We ended up getting a dry aged, 5 bone, second cut from Spotted Trotter.
Brought it home, sliced off the bones, salted it and tied it all up again to age a couple of extra days in the fridge.
It was a very high quality roast.
Their customer service for the ordering process was outstanding.
We were very pleased and would not hesitate to go back to them for one in the future.

Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.