Author Topic: *Ping* Northside Food: East Roswell Farmers Market  (Read 1766 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
Re: *Ping* Northside Food: East Roswell Farmers Market
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
Hmm. Looks like it's open right now. I might just pop over before lunch. Thanks!
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Not much of a market yet. A couple vendors selling Caly Road cheeses, bread, pasta and honey. One guy selling Watsonia peaches and some squash. The high light was the guy selling BBQ pork and brisket. Very good meat, choice of two homemade sauces and traditional sides. An untraditional side is "smoked brussel sprout salad" which was really tasty. We got a pound of pork to take home and eat for lunch alongside leftovers. Kinda wish this guy would show up at the Don White food truck park.

Updated 06-11-14

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
If it were not for the futbol, I probably would have been there to check it out. Was it the same barbecue dude and his wife from the Alpha Famers Market? He is good. Not up there with my favorite brick and mortar purveyors, but a notch or two above average. Mebbe not because I don't remember him selling Brussels sprouts salad.

Prolly/mebbe can scout next week.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »
No, different dude. This guy also has a "korean" BBQ sauce, which is different. It's a lot of soy sauce and sesame oil and its pretty good. But he's the only reason to go back so far.

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Northside Chip

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 05:24:00 AM »
Were there any produce vendors past the peaches vendor? I ran late and everyone was closing up but can it be a Farmer's Market with no farmers?

NC

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »
Yeah, that was the only produce I saw. There were the usual fancy soaps and pastas too. But no real produce.

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »

Yeah, that was the only produce I saw. There were the usual fancy soaps and pastas too. But no real produce.

You know I/we love the Snellville Farmers Market, I am not on the committee but am a volunteer and really appreciate the fact that ALL of the produce (and there are many vendors), are grown within an 80 mile circle around the market.  There are some exceptions made, specifically to the folks that sell peaches early in the season, but they are absolved on a week to week basis.  We attempt to NOT have any resellers.   There are three meat vendors that are slightly outside of our circle but they were exempted so we could have good grass fed beef and pasture raised pork vendors.  We also have a Water Buffalo farm that provides us with that delicious, lean protein (and they are not Bison  :-)  )

We have very few (perhaps 2-3) local vendors with soap and locally made aprons and such, but attempt NOT to have a yard-sale-like appearance.     

I do farm visits that guarantee that what the vendors are bringing are actually things from their farm, and not bought at the State Market in Forest Park.

I attend 3 or 4 markets a month and do like some way better than others.  I do like the Locally Grown theme we have going in Snellville.

http://www.snellvillefarmersmarket.com/

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Northside Chip

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 05:37:54 AM »
You should check out Freedom Farmer's Market at the Carter Library if you get a chance. Most organic certified farms in one location I have been able to find and limited non-farm vendors.

NC

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 06:10:38 AM »
You should check out Freedom Farmer's Market at the Carter Library if you get a chance. Most organic certified farms in one location I have been able to find and limited non-farm vendors.

NC

I have heard good things about that market, and I'd like to get to Avondale's market one Sunday too..

Several of our best vendors are at the Freedom Market... It is almost a 60 mile round trip down there for me. 

Offline MadBob

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »
Not much of a market yet. A couple vendors selling Caly Road cheeses, bread, pasta and honey. One guy selling Watsonia peaches and some squash. The high light was the guy selling BBQ pork and brisket. Very good meat, choice of two homemade sauces and traditional sides. An untraditional side is "smoked brussel sprout salad" which was really tasty. We got a pound of pork to take home and eat for lunch alongside leftovers. Kinda wish this guy would show up at the Don White food truck park.

Re: "smoked brussel sprout salad",

Were these "smoked" on a grill/smoker with wood or were they skewered Alton Brown style on a gas grill?

Were they sliced thin and seasoned salad style with smoked gouda cheese?

My search has turned up nothing but "salad" style with smoked cheese and other stuff added, not what I am thinking as to your "untraditional" side.

I am thinking that you would lightly season and oil, and then put them in the smoker (I like my sprouts fried in butter/bacon grease). I am not opposed to smokin some up and making a salad with some rough chop or served whole and with additional flavorful items (cheese, bacon etc.) to make for an interesting side dish.

So, my question is and still remains, "how did they do that"?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:13:17 PM by MadBob »
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
Have farmers markets officially jumped the shark in uOTPia? Was on my way to Hooligans (for beer and Team Trivia, sure as hell not the food) last night and saw Ellard Village now has a FM Saturdays 10-2. Oy.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »
There are not enough farmers up here to support all the markets I've seen popping up. Which is why most of the new ones don't have any produce. I'll keep splitting my time between Roswell and Alpharetta.

Updated 06-11-14

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
There are not enough farmers up here to support all the markets I've seen popping up. Which is why most of the new ones don't have any produce. I'll keep splitting my time between Roswell and Alpharetta.

Several of our GOOD vendors out this way are spread way too thin to do more than one or two markets. 

Some of the markets (not Snellville, that I know of) have lifted their ethical standards and allowed re-sellers to vend.  So supposed local farmers go to the Forest Park state market and buy sweet potatoes for $0.80/lb and re-sell them to you and I for $3.00/lb.   I am all for capitalism but that really is not what a LOCAL farmers market is supposed to do.

I do farm visits for Snellville's market, to assure the consumers that what the vendors are selling are grown by them.
I'm sure that some things get past our system, but we attempt to keep local really local..

Offline Corky

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 08:48:06 PM »
Has anyone gone to the farmer's market in Cumming across from the fairgrounds on Wed and Sat? I haven't been this year. In the past all items were locally grown or locally made. No resellers. I'll probably go this Sat on my way to Gibbs Gdns for a shoot.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt