Author Topic: Dim Sum  (Read 9850 times)

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
Dim Sum
« on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
Thinking about a dim sum lunch today.  Where should we go?
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline secret chef

Re: Dim Sum
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »
China Delight is my fave

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »
Hit up china delight today, and it was good. Usual items, all were quite fresh and tasty. Service very friendly.

What other dim sum places are left on Bu.Hi?

Offline Elijah Snow

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:01 PM »
Haven't been to any of my old BuHi haunts (Royal China, Oriental Pearl, Canton House) in quite a while because East Pearl (next to the Home Depot near 85 and Pleasant Hill) is so good. My daughter would be quite happy to eat nothing but their custard buns all day every day.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:13:09 PM »
Oriental Pearl is not exactly on Buford Highway, but the new incarnation is pretty much the same as the old one and it is still generally very good. I think that dim sum resto preferences depend somewhat on what kind of dim sum one prefers. I especialy like shrimp, scallop and veggie dumplings (in any combo of the fillings mentioned) tofu skin rolls, turnip cake, and congee. Not so much a fan of the fried stuff, the sticky rice bundles, or the desserts, anywhere.

Offline Elijah Snow

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
I think that dim sum resto preferences depend somewhat on what kind of dim sum one prefers.

I think that's very true, and in a town like this where there doesn't appear to be one dim sum palace that dominates in all areas, I think it matters more than it otherwise might. We definitely like East Pearl primarily because it has good baked and fried goods, and because it has good examples of the sweet dishes my daughter likes. The steamed dumplings have been more hit-and-miss -- they're never bad, but aren't usually amazing.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
I'm with Elijah. East Pearl is our dim sum of choice these days. Was there on Saturday, in fact. Congee, shu mai, bean curd-wrapped pork thingees, pork buns, and sticky rice (both the kind in the lotus leaves and the kind under the glass bowl, which do differ) all the best I've had anywhere. I will say I find their potstickers to be not so hot here (and you barely see them come around anyway). We were handed two cards at one point featuring off-the-menu items, one of which appeared to be something yummy wrapped in rice noodle and doused with soy sauce. We ordered one. I had assumed it was shrimp, but when it arrived, it was actually a piece of the churro-like fry bread like they serve with congee -- wrapped with rice noodle. Starch on starch. It was like something a Chinese frat boy would come up with. Odd.

Incidentally, we didn't show up until around 1:15 and while there was a flurry of carts at the beginning and all the tables were packed, the place had pretty much shut down by 2:00. Most of the tables were empty, and dim sum was reduced to the same lonely cart circling round and round with the same cold stuff on it. I assumed dim sum was active all day on Sat. and Sun., but I guess not. We'll get there earlier next time.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
The Scientist had his 3rd dim sum experience today, and it was pretty good. The reason why he hasn't had many is because his 1st try, at Oriental Pearl, didn't suit his tastes. He thought the things I ordered that day were "too doughy." It was kind of overwhelmingly filling, but our second dim sum was at East Pearl and he liked that much better. We were able to order a plate of green vegetables and some roasted chicken with less of the doughy pork bun type of thing, and he found that more agreeable.

Today we went to China Delight and while it was good, I do think that restaurant is looking extremely shabby these days. Two of the restrooms were out of order and several things in the dining room look a little worn out, used and dirty. I'm never daunted by what other people would deem a hole in the wall, but I did mention to Scientist that perhaps they'd benefit from the sort of fire that finally made Canton House go for a remodel.

We had the crisp shrimp ball with phyllo-like shards, shu mai, fried shrimp with bacon log thingy, some pan fried dumplings, fish balls and the turnip/radish cake. The radish cake was the only thing I didn't find satisfying, as it was rather cold and quite chunky. Usually this is one of my favorite things, so that was disappointing. Maybe next trip we'll find a better one.
Food is my favorite.

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
Ok, so wifey and I were supposed to meet some other couples at royal china for dim sum...they bailed out, and we were psyched for dim sum, and so wifey and i went to east pearl to check it out....i have been going to royal china for many moons, (and have tried most of the other spots around town), but I now humble myself before the assembled foodie nation and concede that east pearl is the best in atlanta.....great selection, items fresh, hot and tasty......nothing super imaginative, but what we had was superb.......a little farther for us then Royal China, but its  now the default dim sum locale for this family...thanks to all youse guys,,......,
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:53:42 PM by outtolunchatty »

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
Have to agree with the East Pearl bandwagon.  Had dim Sum a week ago Saturday and for us it beats out all the other places and we have tried them all many times over many years.  Staff was friendly and the room seems more cozy.  Most items were fresh - you can still end up with some items that have lingered on the cart too long but not very frequently. They seem to offer a larger number of higher end specialty plates which for us is particularly appealing after so many Dim Sum meals at so many other restaurants.  For now this is our favorite despite the ride out I85.

Offline ShubaShuba

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »
Do any Atlanta restaurants actually make fresh Dim Sum?  I've been to all of the standards in town and they all seem to serve the same quality reheated frozen items.  By comparison to Dim Sum I've had in other cities (NYC, SF, Yokohama, etc.), the quality just seems very low here in Atlanta.  This is somewhat surprising given the fact that we do have a number of good quality, authentic Chinese restaurants.  Am I alone in this observation?

Offline tanline

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »
Do any Atlanta restaurants actually make fresh Dim Sum?  I've been to all of the standards in town and they all seem to serve the same quality reheated frozen items.  By comparison to Dim Sum I've had in other cities (NYC, SF, Yokohama, etc.), the quality just seems very low here in Atlanta.  This is somewhat surprising given the fact that we do have a number of good quality, authentic Chinese restaurants.  Am I alone in this observation?

I am not sure I have been to any in town that actually had frozen items (Royal China, East Pearl, Pearl, others).  I agree there are different levels of quality in the various restaurants.  But doubtful if all items are frozen...  Which items are we talking about?  Chicken feet? Tripe? Char Siu Bau?  Siu Mai?  I would guess that anything other than Siu Mai or dumpling types would be very bad indeed if frozen.

Offline ShubaShuba

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:49 AM »
oh, i'm not implying that all of the items were/are frozen, but my experiences at the standards (oriental pearl, east pearl, canton house, hong kong harbor, royal china, et al.) make me think that the vast majority of the dumpling variety dim sum (gau zi, har gau, siu mai, char siu baau, etc.) and the fried items are mass quantity produced, pre-packaged items that are likely bought frozen and steamed or fried on sight.  The thickness and uniformity of the dumpling skins and uniformity of appearance and taste indicate that they aren't hand made or even made on site.  By contrast, the dumplings at many places like Chef Liu, Northern China Eatery, China Kitchen and any of the Frank Ma iterations have variations in size, skin thickness, appearance and even taste indicating that they are almost certainly made on sight, by hand.  maybe I'm totally off the mark, it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but I have never been really impressed with any of the Atlanta dim sum options and that bums me out.

Offline totm

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
Do y'all order a la carte while at dim sum?  If we don't see it coming around on the carts we will often order clams w/black bean sauce, Chinese broccoli (by now I should no the Chinese term I see at BHFM), or snow pea leaves.  I sometimes am amazed at how much those a la carte items cost.  Yesterday at Oriental Pearl (which got slammed from 12:00-1:30, glad we got there ahead of that crowd) we ordered snow pea leaves.  When Japanese brother came outside after paying we had to guess how much that one item cost.  Snow pea leaves at BHFM are ~$2.99/lb retail.  There definitely was not a whole pound of greens on the plate and it cost $11.99.  I understand food mark-up but that seems like a lot.

BTW, had several new items to us; an item with a sweetish dough around a squash filling as well as a dumpling with vegetables and peanuts inside.  We were a little wary considering the best item for a while was the salty, crunchy calamari - all tentacles, no rings.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 02:44:42 PM »
I've been surprised by some price on some of the "large" plates at CHina Delight. I think the S&P calamari for exmaple is $11.99 as are the S&P shrimp and the cantonese stir fried noodles.