Author Topic: Store bought tomato plant  (Read 9554 times)

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
Re: Store bought tomato plant
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »
So I get back home yesterday from a quick trip to the beach.  The Costco tomato bush is bent over, laying on the ground all shriveled up.  8-(  I water it heavily and attempt to prop up as many stems as I can.  One has a slight break in it.

This morning the leaves are somewhat back to normal. I guess being in a pot and the amout of fruit and leave structure this thing has it requires a lot of water.

Mine had a red one and  a pink one when I left for a week so I bribed a friend to come over to water for the tomatoes, still have a few days from returning. I hate not eating my first born.

Offline totm

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 06:18:26 AM »
Plucked two red fruit the other day.  Thought they were both completely ripe but being on the bottom and covered by big leaves discovered one still had a streak of green.  Very juicy and sweet.  Not real big though.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline totm

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 07:41:06 AM »
For some reason tomatoes keep falling off of this plant.  Most of them are not quite ripe.  It is nice to have fresh juicy tomatoes already though.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
For some reason tomatoes keep falling off of this plant.  Most of them are not quite ripe.  It is nice to have fresh juicy tomatoes already though.
Plucked two red fruit the other day.  Thought they were both completely ripe but being on the bottom and covered by big leaves discovered one still had a streak of green.  Very juicy and sweet.  Not real big though.

You can keep those tomatoes that aren't ripe and let them ripen indoors assuming the bugs or the birds haven't pecked at them.  Just watch them and make sure they don't rot in the vegetable bowl.  Goes without saying I hope, but never put tomatoes in the fridge.   

Cardinals are a beauty to look at and a pleasure to watch in the yard but they are quite inquisitive when it comes to garden vegetables.  I had many of my arbol chiles nipped by cardinals last year.  Unfortunately the capsicum doesn't seem to bother them.  Either that or they are real stupid and the keep coming back and getting burned.  ;D

Offline totm

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »

You can keep those tomatoes that aren't ripe and let them ripen indoors assuming the bugs or the birds haven't pecked at them.  Just watch them and make sure they don't rot in the vegetable bowl.  Goes without saying I hope, but never put tomatoes in the fridge.   

Cardinals are a beauty to look at and a pleasure to watch in the yard but they are quite inquisitive when it comes to garden vegetables.  I had many of my arbol chiles nipped by cardinals last year.  Unfortunately the capsicum doesn't seem to bother them.  Either that or they are real stupid and the keep coming back and getting burned.  ;D
Knew all that.  But why would fruit just drop from the vine before it is completely ripe?

Birds are NOT affect by capsicum.  Some birdseed is sold with capsicum in it to deter squirrels because they are affected but birds are not.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 02:30:15 PM »
Knew all that.  But why would fruit just drop from the vine before it is completely ripe?

Birds are NOT affect by capsicum.  Some birdseed is sold with capsicum in it to deter squirrels because they are affected but birds are not.
[/quote]

Stupid birds...  leave my chilles alone.

I'm not sure why they would drop like that, I've never experienced it.  It seems that most physiological tomato problems (not disease/fungal) are a result of high heat and/or water fluctuations.  Given the fact that you're growing in containers (you are, aren't you?) that may well be a reason, especially in this super-hot weather.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »
Tomato plants now selling at costco - same as last year.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
$14 Tomato plants now (2012) selling at costco again.

Offline totm

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
And if you are looking for that at the Perimeter location you will need to go to the "new" garden center which is just a door to the outside world on the side of the building next to the alley that runs between Costco and Home Depot.  They also had some large jalepeno and sweet banana pepper plants that were full of fruit.

Offline totm

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Plucked to small maters from my costco bush last night.  They probably could have gone a little longer but I noticed a chipmunk around the plant Wednesday night.  I'm quite surprised the little varmint didn't bite in to the red globes of deliciousness (TM Sean Brock).

And in the long run I'm very pleased this plant has survived.  When I brought it home I replanted it into a larger pot.  The pot was next to the garage.  When we had those really strong winds about a month ago the I came in from walking the dog to find the tomato plant splayed out like a giant dead octopus.  I tried to no avail to tie it up that night.  A couple of days later I just replanted the whole thing in the front bed and put a triangle shaped cage around it.  It seems to be quite happy.  Now I just have to keep Chip and Dale away from it.

Offline totm

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »
Perimeter Costco got their $14 bush tomato plants in 3/7/13.  They also have 1G tomatoes (a roma variety, better boy, cherokee purple, celebrity, brandywine pink, cherry varieties) and peppers (jalepeno, green bell, ...) for $8.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
Got my first ripe "costco" tomato today, but only 3 oz.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Costco tomato plants in.