Author Topic: OCD: American Chop Suey, American Goulash  (Read 2630 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

OCD: American Chop Suey, American Goulash
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »
This is a 100 percent OCD question. But I’m hoping somebody can give me an answer to this question pointing me in a crooked line.

So growing up, my mom used to make a dish she called—and I will try to spell it phonetically—something like spun-gal-yin. It originated on my dad’s side of the family.

Because my mom has her share of words she mispronounces and my paternal grandmother called a sink, “a zinc” I was guessing the pronunciation got butchered along the way. 

OCD, I played with Google one day and after tying a few possible spellings I came up empty. I realized the less I seek my source for some definitive, the closer I am to fine.

Alas, wifey via Pinterest stumbles upon a recipe for American goulash or American chop suey. There it is. What we knew as “spongalian” or something along those lines.

Here is a variation:

1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. elbow noodles
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Dice the onion; crush a few cloves of garlic, and sauté in a deep saucepan along with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.

Boil water and cook 1 lb. elbow noodles according to package directions.

Stir the onion mixture for several minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.

Add ground beef to the onion mixture. Stir well, breaking apart the beef. Continue to sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the beef is fully cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper, or a teaspoon or two of ground cumin, if desired.

Empty the two cans of stewed tomatoes into the beef-onion mix; follow immediately with two tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Let simmer 5 minutes, or until your elbow noodles are done.

Drain the elbows, and combine the sauce and noodles in whichever pan is larger. Mix well and let set for a few minutes, so "the flavors will marry," as my mother says.

Serve while hot, with some grated cheese

Source: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1928,141163-234202,00.html

But alas, the closing line, “This recipe dedicated to my eastern PA + NJ homies.” Well there you go. We are Philly/South Jersey people.  There are plenty of recipes for “American chop suey” or “American goulash,” but none that had an alternate name that I could find that would resemble, “spongalian.”

Can anyone quench my OCD and tell me if they knew this perhaps malapropism dish by a name similar to what we did? 

Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Lorenzo

Re: OCD: American Chop Suey, American Goulash
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »
If you people can't even agree on the etymology of "hoagie," I don't have high hopes for "spongalian."

Offline MadBob

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
Welp, I cannot vouch for the Worcestershire, but that recipe pretty much follows what my Mom used to do when she made it....
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »
Welp, I cannot vouch for the Worcestershire, but that recipe pretty much follows what my Mom used to do when she made it....

Oft my mom would go with spaghetti sauce instead of stewed tomatoes, plus she used peppers, onions, garlic. I've seen recipes with Allspice, which I've recently added in the uOTPia D generation's version of it. I even get really crazy and sneak in Old Bay.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Minerva

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
You COOK?  ???
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown