Author Topic: Turkey - Where are you sourcing your holiday bird?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Daniel

Turkey - Where are you sourcing your holiday bird?
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »
SSIA

I would like to cook a fresh heritage turkey this year; beyond ordering in advance from Whole Paycheck (who i avoid like the plague) where else would you recommend?

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Turkey - Where are you sourcing your holiday bird?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
I'll respond that after years and years of getting supermarket turkeys, heritage turkeys, kosher turkeys, etc. I'm going for the lowest cost Butterball that I can find. Yeah, I know it is not PC, but they taste good and they are a lot more reliable for me than anything else in terms of taste and ease of cooking. Sorry factory raised turkeys- I wanted to quit you...

Modifying my original unhelpful reply by adding that I'm sure you could call any of the specialty higher-end food shops or butchers and they could point you in the right direction - Sawicki's, The Mercantile, Star Provisions, etc.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:56:43 AM by LizR »

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:59:55 AM »
Thought I'd try something middle of the road this year.  Something already brined but not over-processed.  Any commentary on Kosher birds?   Where to get, how to prep, your experience?
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:51:48 AM »
Costco:

Butterball Fresh All-Natural Turkey $1.09/lb
A fresh turkey from Butterball. The label does say all-natural however your not just paying for turkey in this package. The turkey contains an added solution of salt water and spices.

Fran'Mani Diestel Whole Brined Turkey $3.39/lb
This turkey was raised at Diestel range in Sonora in Northern California. It was then brined by Fran'Mani Handcrafted Foods for Costco. This price for a brined Diestel turkey is cheaper than the $4.99/lb you can expect to pay at Whole Foods Market for a similar brined Diestel turkey

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
We are doing two birds this year. The first one is a smoked turkey from Greenberg's in Texas. My husband's family is from east Texas where a smoked turkey from Greenberg's is traditional. It took me a year or two to warm up to the idea of not having a roasted turkey, but it's quite delicious.

The second one is a small turkey breast from Whole Foods. I think it's just five pounds or so. My family still likes roasted turkey and none of them eat dark meat, so this will give them a little something to pour gravy over. I plan to roast it in my trusty dutch oven with butter and herbs tucked under the skin.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »

We are getting our family bird from Pine Street Market this year.   Sure I could do one myself, but this makes time for me to concentrate on some side dishes that our extended family loves.   

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
Yeah, that's why I've taken to the idea of ordering a smoked turkey. Logistically, it takes one of the hardest to get right pieces of the meal out of the equation. So now I can focus on getting everything else to the table.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »

Yeah, that's why I've taken to the idea of ordering a smoked turkey. Logistically, it takes one of the hardest to get right pieces of the meal out of the equation. So now I can focus on getting everything else to the table.

I really like to do them, and mine have turned out quite good, but (hosting the dinner this year was a surprise), and like you, I'd rather be somewhat of a tourist for dinner..  I thought we were going to a local relatives house until mid day Sunday..

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 04:11:04 AM »
Well, this topic is a year old but never a better time to resurrect it.  :)

For those not blessed with a personal smoking box, where would you suggest getting a smoked turkey for this year's celebrations?  All I know of are the old standbys GC and `Que.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 07:31:33 AM »
Well, this topic is a year old but never a better time to resurrect it.  :)

For those not blessed with a personal smoking box, where would you suggest getting a smoked turkey for this year's celebrations?  All I know of are the old standbys GC and `Que. 

Pine St. Market is doing them and I'm quite sure that Fox. Bros. BBQ is too.  I don't know about the pricing..

Pine Street Market
Published by Jennifer Higgins Joyner · October 19 at 4:36pm ·

We are thrilled to be teaming up with our neighbors, Zest Atlanta Catering, to make your Thanksgiving easy as pie. We have created the menu and will do all the cooking - all you need to do is place your order! https://a.pgtb.me/zZGBBP

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==+++++++++++++++

Fox Bros Bar-B-Q
October 6 at 5:19pm ·

We do the work, you take the credit! Call @foxbroscatering to reserve yours today! They will sell out! CALL NOW! 404.414.0826

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:37:01 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »