Author Topic: Good Luck Gourmet - Former Gu's Location  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
Good Luck Gourmet - Former Gu's Location
« on: June 27, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
Has anyone else tried Gu's replacement on Buford highway - Good Luck Gourmet.  Had the Mapo Tofu and Chengdu Wontons in red oil and "fried" squid with chives which was actually a sauteed dish.  Enjoyed it all and looking forward to trying additional dishes, some of which are familiar to Gu's menu and others of which appear to be unique.  Would like to know what others think of the food there. Does anyone have any information about the chef - did he/she work at another Atlanta area Sichuan restaurant?

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
Re: Good Luck Gourmet - Former Gu's Location
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
Can't believe all the former Gu's patrons have not tried this place yet. Second visit as good as first. Lamb with Cumin Sauce (AKA Cumin Lamb) is done as a dry not saucy saute with a good amount of meat, the quality of which was better than other versions we have had. Supposedly known for their cold noodles - called Shaanxi's Style Cold Noodles, which were very good, and a Lamb Soup which we have not tried yet.

Offline yeulih

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
It wasn't until John Kessler posted his review that I found out there was another restaurant occupying the Gu's Bistro location. After perusing the photos they posted on the FB site and deciding the food was worthy to check out, I went there last night.

I ordered the Xinjiang-style chicken, the garlic fried leaf lettuce, and the Chengdu dumplings in chicken soup. The Xinjiang chicken is excellent - the spices used in the braising gave the chicken a strong, yet complex falvor, and the potatoes and bell peppers were crisp and juicy. The garlic fried lettuce is good as well (hard to mess this up imho). The dumplings are handmade and and generously-sized, and the Chinese-style chicken soup reminded me of the chicken soup served at DinTaiFung, albeit slightly more oily.

As a bonus, there is a 10% discount if you order off the regular menu until August 15th.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
Went to good luck gourmet recently for lunch (m-f) and had a unbelievable value lunch for $7.
The same lunch is $15 Saturday and evenings. I think the food is better than gu's.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
Went to good luck gourmet recently for lunch (m-f) and had a unbelievable value lunch for $7.
The same lunch is $15 Saturday and evenings. I think the food is better than gu's.

I know I could look it up probably, but what was the lunch menu like ?    Buffet ? 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »
It's hard to believe but:
https://www.beyondmenu.com/40295/doraville/good-luck-gourmet-doraville-30340.aspx#group_1490096

It looks great..  Any day you are heading that way let me know, I'll go with you..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.