Author Topic: Weirdest Food When You Travel?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline impudentgourmet

• Email
Weirdest Food When You Travel?
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
I am a new member and friend of Mr. Gadget Geek Stock. Currently relocating from NOLA to Decatur for the time being. Look forward to connecting with you other foodies.

I just saw Food and Wine's article on weird food (thanks to Foodies member Genet, whose RaisedonaRoux blog caught my eye instantly). http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/weirdest-regional-foods/6

Turducken is on the list. Honestly? John Madden's favorite Thanksgiving dish?

Turducken may be a bit exotic, and it's certainly unique, but it's also succulent, savory and I've never served it to anyone who didn't like it. It's not too hard to make, either, provided someone ELSE bones the fowl for you.

So I am posting this in Travel because I would like to hear other folk's weird foods they have encountered while traveling.

And, I will say for the record, that Food and Wine hasn't spent much time in Looziana if they think turducken is weird. Dey got a lot odder food down der than dat, cher!

Offline Raised on a Roux

• Raised on a Roux
    • Email
Re: Weirdest Food When You Travel?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »
Hey ImpudentGourmet, between the two of us we could probably furnish Food and Wine with an entire issue of "weird" food from South Louisiana.  Shall we start with hogs head cheese and stewed nutria?  The weirdest food I've eaten in my travels?  I'd have to say black pudding (blood sausage) while in London.  I enjoyed the flavor but not the texture! 
Raised on a Roux

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
Don’t think it’s any more or less weird than Turducken, but when driving through Acadiana I fell head over heels in love with cracklins. No need to ‘splain to me why it’s called CRACKlins.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Don’t think it’s any more or less weird than Turducken, but when driving through Acadiana I fell head over heels in love with cracklins. No need to ‘splain to me why it’s called CRACKlins.

We are fortunate here in Atlanta to have a butcher shop that makes Turducken.

The Cajun Meat Company can do all or any part you don't want to do.

http://www.cajunmeatcompany.com/

GG>- Should I attach a set of pictures of this guy boning a chicken in a minute?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
Hey ImpudentGourmet, between the two of us we could probably furnish Food and Wine with an entire issue of "weird" food from South Louisiana.  Shall we start with hogs head cheese and stewed nutria?  The weirdest food I've eaten in my travels?  I'd have to say black pudding (blood sausage) while in London.  I enjoyed the flavor but not the texture!

I would stew up some nutria if I had some, I bet it would be tasty. 

Offline MadBob

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:47:06 AM »

GG>- Should I attach a set of pictures of this guy boning a chicken in a minute?

And dont forget the gravy!

Cajun Meat Company.... my FAVORITE! And don't forget the Slap Yo Mama!

Go for it.... I will send Richard a challenge....
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »

I think the pictures are of Richard.    ;D

Offline JenJen

• Email
Re: Weirdest Food When You Travel? Mountain Oysters, anyone?
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
Mountain Oysters - which admittedly I have never eaten, have to be about as weird as it gets that is a fairly commonly mentioned food. Anyone out there ever belly up to a bowl full of bull balls?

Today in NOLA I will be attending both a Blues and BBQ Fest and a Seafood Festival, not to mention stopping by the Sugar Festival in Old Arabi, where a good friend is playing. But I will NOT be attending the Testicle Festival, of which I am pleased to say I don't think Loosiana has an equivalent. (There are two in Montana and two in Illinois.)

Nope. We fry, smoke, charbroil, saute, Rockefeller, Bienville, and otherwise dress up our Ersters, not to mention putting them into stuffing and soup. I plan to check out several of those options TODAY.

But they come from the shell, not the bull. (Well, in North Loosiana they may have some equivalent, but that's Yankee Land so they don't count. Haven't seen them mentioned S. of I-10.)

Of all the names for Mountain Oysters, I think Montana Tendergroin has to be the best.

rocky mountain oysters
Montana tendergroin
cowboy caviar
bulls jewels
barnyard jewels
farm oysters
swinging beef
Animelles - fr. (testicles)
bollocks
swinging sirloin
beef balls
prairie oysters

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:25:42 PM »

I think the pictures are of Richard.    ;D

I will find that set of pictures one day, I have looked for them and cannot find them now...  dammmit..

<<<edit>>>>  My kind wife found this set on Flckr for us all.  Watch it in "slideshow".

Here is what the set info reads: Chad Treadway of Cajun Meat Company in Marietta, Georgia does the trick... then stuffs it and sews it up.

http://flic.kr/s/aGF1NUh2C7
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:02:27 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »