Author Topic: 9/11 Memorial Meal  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
9/11 Memorial Meal
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »

This could end up being controversial but I didn't think of it originally that way...

What should we cook for a 9/11 gathering?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Roxro

• Email
Re: 9/11 Memorial Meal
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
On 9/11 we didn't eat.  Our entire town gathered at  the Episcopal Church for a prayer service.  Ministers from the other churches in town stood on the steps and asked if our loved-ones were all accounted for.  Many were not.
In the weeks to follow we would get a  daily list of items the  Ground Zero workers needed  and get them to the Congregational Church where volunteers brought them into the city. I remember saline solution to wash their eyes, dog treats for the rescue dogs and chocolate candy bars being asked for frequently.

One Italian restaurant cooked massive amounts of food, so if you were doing a gathering, I would suggest baked ziti, garlic bread, etc.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
Lots of people did eat on 9/11, and I served many of them. That morning, I went in to work as a manager at a full-serve, casual restaurant in Toco Hills, and linehog boarded a plane to visit his parents in buffalo. Many of my co-managers also traveled to Lake Lanier for a retreat, only to find out shortly that it would be cancelled because of the tragedy. However, I kept working through it, and another manager with me decided to send home all the line cooks, save one, thinking that we'd be saving labor on a slow day. Nope. We got our butts kicked. linehog eventually got off the plane and came in to order a plate of Buffalo wings and some beers, and the rest of the neighborhood left their jobs early and came to eat food, drink beer and watch the coverage together.

I worked the line and made about a bajillion orders of wings, fried chicken tenders and french fries. I will always associate wings with this day, but not necessarily in a good way.
I'd steer clear of making anything symbolic, such as twin towers of Jell-O - I'm picturing the dessert in "Better Off Dead" here - but I'm guessing that comfort food rules the day. Sorry if that imagery offended anyone. I made matzo ball soup for my own dinner tonight.

Hope everyone had a good dinner, and a good evening.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:18 AM »
I can't remember what I ate on 9-11-01, but it was probably something like delivery pizza.  Everyone where I worked was sent home that morning, and a colleague and I spent the rest of the day glued to my TV, stupefied, drinking beer.