Author Topic: Maotai available in Atlanta area?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Gerard

• Email
Maotai available in Atlanta area?
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »
Greetings.  I've heard that the Chinese liquor: Maotai http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maotai is really nasty stuff but hope to procure some for an event this weekend.  Anyone have any idea if its available anywhere in the Atlanta area?  I'm guessing it's not but thought I would check here before I started calling the larger liquor stores in the area. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Gerard
Chickamauga, GA

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Maotai available in Atlanta area?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
The Tower Beer, Wine and Spirits on Buford Highway, just outside the perimeter, has an exceptional selection of Asian liqueurs. There used to be a great woman with quite a knowledge of their offerings that worked there, unfortunately I can't remember her name. Someone employed there should be able to help you out. Let us know what you find!

Offline Gerard

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »
The Tower Beer, Wine and Spirits on Buford Highway...

Excellent suggestion!  I just called them and they have it.  I'll pick it up tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing whatever else they have. 

Thanks. 

Offline Gerard

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:43:30 AM »
Oops. 

Lesson learned.  One does not simply call and ask, "Do you have Moutai?"

One should also ask, "How much?"

For 375ml.  Wasn't even tempted. 

Ended up tasting some at a friend's last night - the dregs of a bottle that was first opened 30 years ago - so it may no longer be representative - but yuk.

Tower Beer, Wine, Spirits had six or seven other sorghum or sorghum/grain alcohol Chinese liquors that ranged in price from about $13-$163 per 375ml.  Ended up buying and was quite pleased with these three:

Kind of medicinal.  One drinker commented that it had an after taste of "monkey house".  Dammit, after that, monkey house was the only taste we could perceive. 

Rather smooth, herbal. 

Very good!  Grappa-ish.  Would heartily drink again.

Also picked up two of their four brands of Chinese rice wines.  Forgot to take photos.  Came in ornate gray ceramic pots.  Each around 750ml (I think) for around 15 bucks IIRC.  Served warmed.  One tasted like turpentine; the other: turpentine with a hint of oyster sauce. 

Probably won't be trying any more Chinese rice wines.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:46:14 AM by Gerard »

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
Infused with snake, bai jiu is delicious.  Not really.  But it makes a good dare to drink some of that rotgut that has a snake in the bottle.  I don't know anything about the differences among different Chinese white spirits, just that "bai jiu" seems to cover them all generically. Cheers!

Offline MadBob

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
Used to enjoy on occasion while in Japan that stuff with the snake in the bottle. Scales and flotsam et al.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.