Author Topic: Shabu King  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Shabu King
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »
First post here, so don't be so hard on this "newbie," OK?

I had pestered The Scientist to take me to Shabu King, even though it's really, really hard to go to Duluth and not go to Honey Pig. Living in Marietta means that the trip to Duluth is more like 45 minutes in good traffic, so we try to plan these things as wisely as possible. I guessed that Shabu King might be worth it, based on a report from ChowDownAtlanta, and it was not an incorrect guess.

When we arrived, the place was slammed with what appeared to be only one or two waitresses on staff and most every table full, or still piled with plates from the last diners. No matter, as we weren't hungry enough to fall over from lack of nourishment, and I wanted to get some libations at Super H (that's the location, in case you didn't already know - by Super H on Pleasant Hill, in the place that used to be just a Korean Fried Chicken and dumpling spot called Man Doo). After some miscommunication with the server about whether we could bring some sake or soju or something over to drink, as they don't have a license to serve their own, we made our little side trip and came back to a slightly less busy restaurant. My guess is that dinner hits kind of early here, and the place was absolutely empty by close at 10.

Not many decisions to make, since the shabu shabu for two is a tremendous amount of food and a nice bargain at $29. Sure, you can still get the dumplings and the Korean Fried Chicken, but they're not the best to be had of either item, and you'll be satisfied with the hot pot. Service is pretty quick, too, since the spicy broth soup, with lots of vegetables, heats up very quickly so that you can start cooking your beef in it. There is a bit of pan chan as well, about 4 plates or so, but it's not really that important, since there's a bunch of stuff in the hot pot, plus a noodle course and a fried rice course at the end.

The one thing that I had a hard time figuring out was what to do with my dipping dish with a smear of wasabi on the side. No problem, as the waitress soon instructed me to make a dipping sauce with one of the only-labeled-in-Korean bottles from the table that I guessed had soy and some sort of vinegar in it, and then dip the noodles - thick udon style - into that sauce. It was quite delicious and very enjoyable that way.

I would go back if I lived closer, but I probably won't, given the long drive. I'd still strongly recommend it, though, as hot pot is good, and trying Korean hot pot for the first time is an adventure.
Food is my favorite.