Author Topic: MegaBus  (Read 3003 times)

Offline totm

MegaBus
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
For some reason V wanted to take advantage of the promotional deal the MegaBus had when they announced that Atlanta would be a new hub.  We decided on JAX considering we could get there and back for $6 for the two of us.

In lieu of a travel section I'll put this here (or I could put it in some random section a la I'm MAD Bob and let Mike move crap around to the place that makes sense).  I meant to post that our round trip to and from JAX was less than our Marta train ride to get to the MegaBus.  Oh well.  At least the long term parking at Marta was free.

And I am guessing you brought libations onto the MegBus?  How many hours to JAX?
I thought there might be questions about the MegaBus.

No, we did not take libations on the bus though we were tempted.  The T&C (terms and conditions) explicitly stated no alcohol to be consumed on the bus.  Though I'm sure you could, I'm afraid others would have reported us.  If you were a hard liquor consumption person it would be pretty easy but hard liquor makes some of not pleasant to be around.  There were beers brought back from JAX in our luggage that was stored in the belly of the bus that just so happened to be cold when we got back.  There again, consuming adult beverages on Marta is against the law.  8-(

The scheduled time to/from ATL-JAX is 6.5 hrs, which includes a stop.  IIRC we were very close to that time on the way down.  I don't remember on the trip back because there was a 1 hr 45 minute delay in being picked up.  As you may recall, there was an arctic blast that blew threw the ATL last Saturday.  That arctic blast hit JAX Sunday morning which is when we were to depart.  A big part of the Megabus' business plan is no terminals.  Most of the passengers that were getting on in JAX were waiting in cars.  We, in addition to one other Buckhead gentleman, did not have that luxury.  Hey InternationalCalDweller, can I get a shivering/freezing/miserable emoticon?
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: MegaBus
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
For some reason V wanted to take advantage of the promotional deal the MegaBus had when they announced that Atlanta would be a new hub.  We decided on JAX considering we could get there and back for $6 for the two of us.

In lieu of a travel section I'll put this here (or I could put it in some random section a la I'm MAD Bob and let Mike move crap around to the place that makes sense).  I meant to post that our round trip to and from JAX was less than our Marta train ride to get to the MegaBus.  Oh well.  At least the long term parking at Marta was free.

And I am guessing you brought libations onto the MegBus?  How many hours to JAX?

No, we did not take libations on the bus though we were tempted.  The T&C (terms and conditions) explicitly stated no alcohol to be consumed on the bus.  Though I'm sure you could, I'm afraid others would have reported us.  If you were a hard liquor consumption person it would be pretty easy but hard liquor makes some of not pleasant to be around.  There were beers brought back from JAX in our luggage that was stored in the belly of the bus that just so happened to be cold when we got back.  There again, consuming adult beverages on Marta is against the law.  8-(

The scheduled time to/from ATL-JAX is 6.5 hrs, which includes a stop.  IIRC we were very close to that time on the way down.  I don't remember on the trip back because there was a 1 hr 45 minute delay in being picked up.  As you may recall, there was an arctic blast that blew threw the ATL last Saturday.  That arctic blast hit JAX Sunday morning which is when we were to depart.  A big part of the Megabus' business plan is no terminals.  Most of the passengers that were getting on in JAX were waiting in cars.  We, in addition to one other Buckhead gentleman, did not have that luxury.  Hey InternationalCalDweller, can I get a shivering/freezing/miserable emoticon? 

I thought you were talking about some mystical Bus tour in your future.  I am glad that you took time to fill us all in.   So this miga something comes by your house and takes you where you want to go huh?  I would like it sortof.  Was it a party atmosphere or just disgruntled passengers going in one direction?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »
I asked about the libations because a friend of mine and his wife took the MegaBus from (I think) Chicago to St. Louis, and he said they were not hassled at all about the beer cooler they brought on the bus, and drank it openly.  I'd like to give the MegaBus a go.  The MegaBus "terminal" at Civic Center MARTA station is convenient for me.

Offline totm

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
So this miga something comes by your house and takes you where you want to go huh?  I would like it sortof.  Was it a party atmosphere or just disgruntled passengers going in one direction?
No, it doesn't come by your house and take you where you want to go.  As Lorenzo posted above the pickup/drop-off in ATL is on W. Peachtree at the Civic Center Marta station.  ATL is a new hub.  They are known in the midwest and northeast.  The pickup/drop-off location in JAX is by the convention center/skyway terminal, hence the loverly morning.

As to question #dos, twas neither and most definitely not the latter.  V threatened to imbibe until I looked on there FAQ.  If we'd have been in the back of the bus or a different time of day I'm sure a cold 1 or 3 would have been popped.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
I have a friend who's girlfriend comes down from Nashville on Megabus to visit him every other weekend or so. It's a lot cheaper than a tank of gas.

Offline totm

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »
I have a friend who's girlfriend comes down from Nashville on Megabus to visit him every other weekend or so. It's a lot cheaper than a tank of gas.
I heard that a LOT and that's a big selling point.  And makes a lot of sense for shortish trips.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
I heard that a LOT and that's a big selling point.  And makes a lot of sense for shortish trips.

I can see where you can MAKE it fun.    I do like flying, and we do it a fair amount, but the train or bus is always a romantic and optional substitute.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
Romantic?  Definitely not the Megabus unless you consider having to cuddle do to lack of leg/elbow room.  And my last experience on Amtrack, though about 25 years ago and chaperoning 5th graders (and girls at that), was not romantic either but I'd take that over the MegaBus.  Now if you had a sleeping cabin and wined/dined then that might be romantic.