Author Topic: Christmas Cooking 2011  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Christmas Cooking 2011
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »

a dozen pumpkin breads to do today.  I hope my nieces are a help and not otherwise ....   ;)

Lot's of Boston Butt smoking going on in the next couple days, I have 3 to do, I hope they all go on the Large Big Green Egg..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Christmas Cooking 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:37:51 PM »
I got a free goose today! Yay!

We went to Publix, after debating for several hours about what to make for Christmas dinner, if anything. I've wanted to cook a goose for some time now, but they're a little hard to find, and when you do find them, they're kind of expensive. We found them at Harry's for $6.99 a pound and then at Publix for $5.39 a pound. Still a bit pricey when you buy an 8-12 pound bird, and a lot of that weight is bone and fat - though I'll use the leftover fat for certain.

Took the smallest one we could find to the cashier and she rang it up, but it came up at the wrong price. She went and checked it out, came back and gave us the whole dang bird for free! I didn't expect them to honor their policy on something that large, but I'm sure glad they did.

That was a pretty nice Christmas present, I'll say!
Food is my favorite.

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »

We went to Publix, after debating for several hours about what to make for Christmas dinner, if anything. I've wanted to cook a goose for some time now, but they're a little hard to find, and when you do find them, they're kind of expensive. We found them at Harry's for $6.99 a pound and then at Publix for $5.39 a pound. Still a bit pricey when you buy an 8-12 pound bird, and a lot of that weight is bone and fat - though I'll use the leftover fat for certain.

Took the smallest one we could find to the cashier and she rang it up, but it came up at the wrong price. She went and checked it out, came back and gave us the whole dang bird for free! I didn't expect them to honor their policy on something that large, but I'm sure glad they did.

Let me see if I got that right, after all, I'm reading this during bourbon time..

Foodgeek, did you say you got goosed at Publix and didn't have to pay for it????

Ain't life grand.

thankyouverymuch   
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

If I can work it in, I'm also cooking a goose on Monday for our annual Christmas dinner here.  I know there will be pulled pork (it was requested again), and a few of the family side dishes that always show up when we have an event.

Thanks for running the "front door" on pricing the Gooses. 

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »

A good time was had by all baking pumpkin breads, we made three types.  Ones with pecans, ones without pecans, and ones with pecans, raisins and chiles.  The results turned out pretty well and the nieces had a good time helping.

Here is a picture of happy.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »

Goodness -----  This time of year can be full of deadlines (self imposed usually) and schedules ( generally voluntary ), and other "events" that pop in or out of your life when the Holiday season is running strong.

Thank goodness we all have the dexterity to dance around the pitfalls and avoid the trauma that this season can exert.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:25:24 AM »
Goose cooking tv show today 12/24, ch 30, 11am.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »

I have chosen not to do the goose for Monday.  The three pork shoulders turned out fine with a caveat.

I bought two of the pork shoulders from Sam's, they looked nice though I did a bit of trimming on each one which brought the weight of each to about 8lbs.  I also bought a smaller Boston Butt from Publix to do for a friend, it weighed 6 1/2lbs after trimming.   There was a considerable amount of fat and toss away connective tissue on the ones from Sams but not so much on the one from Publix.  The Two 8 pounders each yielded just less than 4lbs of pulled pork while the one 6 pounder gave me 3lbs 6oz. of finished product.  What could have accounted for that difference in loss?   There was a fairly large amount of extra fat and things that don't get into my pulled pork from the Sam's ones, but not from the Publix one..   

Puzzled in Snellville..

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:27:29 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:25:42 AM »
I'm making a goose tonight as well...serving with red cabbage and caraway and goosefat potatoes obv!
It's exactly what's needed on the 7th night of Chanukah!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »
I'm making a goose tonight as well...serving with red cabbage and caraway and goosefat potatoes obv!
It's exactly what's needed on the 7th night of Chanukah!

I'm having goose envy...

Offline MadBob

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
Went to Son's yesterday, 2 6 lb Main Lobster, a really tasty Wagyu Rib Eye roast from Snake River Farms (beef never tasted so good), seared on the grill then finished in the oven, Parmasean Risotto, Sugar Snap Peas homemade Sweet Potato pie for dessert. Great company great food and great time !
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 08:57:23 AM by MadBob »
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 10:36:26 AM »
My goose turned out nicely, with plenty of leftovers. Side items were brussels sprouts roasted in the pan drippings, pearl onions also roasted in goose fat and spiced carrot puree.

I used the neck and giblets to make a rich stock, then chopped up the meat finely with more goose fat to make goose rillettes, which are chilling in the fridge right now. Plenty of fat left over, and I'll be using some of the leftover meat, mixed with dried fruit and chestnut stuffing, to make goose empanadas. There will probably be some sort of soup in the works as well.

It was a bit of extra work, but I really enjoyed this goose, and I think The Scientist liked it, too.
Food is my favorite.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
My goose turned out nicely, with plenty of leftovers. Side items were brussels sprouts roasted in the pan drippings, pearl onions also roasted in goose fat and spiced carrot puree.

I used the neck and giblets to make a rich stock, then chopped up the meat finely with more goose fat to make goose rillettes, which are chilling in the fridge right now. Plenty of fat left over, and I'll be using some of the leftover meat, mixed with dried fruit and chestnut stuffing, to make goose empanadas. There will probably be some sort of soup in the works as well.

It was a bit of extra work, but I really enjoyed this goose, and I think The Scientist liked it, too.

Our rib roast turned out wonderfully.  The Brussels Sprouts were top notch with that recipe from Cooks Illustrated, and the Boursin mashed spuds were fine.  This roast was not perfect, but it was delicious and you could cut it with a spoon.

Here is a pic:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:06:00 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 04:40:15 AM »
Good work with making the most of that goose, FG.  From our last goose effort, we learned that if you baste it with a flavored sauce (we did a Madeira sauce, and cavity stuffed with blood oranges), then everything made from that bird will taste of the sauce.  Madeira-orange goose fat fries were interesting, but we won't repeat the "mistake."  The lesson we learned was to keep the seasonings simple for a versatile bird.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 05:48:52 AM »
I made my goose yesterday....Having never eaten goose i was pretty excited. I can't say i'm rushing to buy another. It has a very singular taste. Ducky, with a metallic/bloody undertone. Not particularly pleasant really. The skin is also extremely strong tasting.
Really, the best part of roasting a goose are the 2.5 cups of goose fat you get.
Oh, and the smell permeated my whole house......not entirely pleasant after the 1st hour...and i can still smell it 12 hours later.