Author Topic: Using Up the Duck  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Using Up the Duck
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »
Duck confit from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/dining/20appe.html?hpw

Sorry to be ignorant, can one buy just duck legs?  Where?

They have tons of them at DeKalb Farmer's Market.  They are leg quarters including the thigh.  I could be mistaken, but you can probably find some at some Asian markets or Buford Hwy.

Oddly enough, i have not seen them at the asian markets. Whole ducks only is what i've seen.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 02:29:43 PM »
And when you say "whole ducks" there is no mincing words there.  I always enjoy scaring the wife with a duck - head and feet attached.  ::)

Loundry

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »
And when you say "whole ducks" there is no mincing words there.  I always enjoy scaring the wife with a duck - head and feet attached.  ::)

Do you save the duck feet for stock, much like one would use chicken feet in chicken stock?  The chicken feet are high in collagen, and I can't imagine that duck feet would be too much different.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
Do you save the duck feet for stock, much like one would use chicken feet in chicken stock?  The chicken feet are high in collagen, and I can't imagine that duck feet would be too much different.

Absolutely.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »
So, I have a frozen duck. I could probably let it stay frozen for a few months until things are less beastly hot. But if someone has a good idea of a hot weather duck recipe, I'm all ears.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
So, I have a frozen duck. I could probably let it stay frozen for a few months until things are less beastly hot. But if someone has a good idea of a hot weather duck recipe, I'm all ears.   

I would defrost the duck on your birthday today and cook it tomorrow.  Treat it like a chicken but split out the breast that you can put on the Egg or the grill (or in the oven) a little later then you would put on the legs and thighs.  Save the rest of the carcass for a nice deep stock later on, render off as much of the fat for use on potatoes and veggies.  I don't ALWAYS cook duck breasts till their pink perfection, sometimes I like the duck done a bit more but not dried out.  You have the skilz Liz.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.