Author Topic: Do you love your dishwasher?  (Read 8247 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Do you love your dishwasher?
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »
My old Kenmore that came with our house is dying. It is probably close to 15 years old, so I am looking forward to getting a quieter, more efficient model. We only have two and a half people in our household, and we try to be as energy and water efficient as possible. I'm drawn to the Fisher and Paykel double drawer idea, but the reviews are pretty bad and it is very expensive. I see good things online about the Maytag JetClean Plus - the only drawback seems to be that it does not have a half load option. I care about quietness and dependability, not all the bells and whistles. Don't need special cycles (should I even care about a half-load feature?), other than a water saver cycle. The fewer parts to break, the better with me. Also, do any of you have a model without a food grinder? If so, how yucky is that? It sounds kind of horrible to have to manually empty a filter.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Or things to stay away from?

Thanks!

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Do you love your dishwasher?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »
We replaced out dishwasher with a Bosch and are very pleased with it. It doesn't have a heating element for drying, instead it uses the heat generated from the wash cycle to dry with and it does a very good job. I don't see a model number on it but it is a model that just came out and was less than $600.00 if I remember correctly. They are made in North Carolina not Germany. It is so quiet it is hard to tell if it is on.

We are slowly replacing all of our appliances. Our new house came with GE Profile appliances and they are all crap. We just got a new washer dryer a couple of days ago. They are Samsung front loading and very energy efficient and use very little water.

Hope this helps.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
Thanks. I looked at the Bosch. Do you have to clean out the filter, and if so, how often? I suppose that that depends on how much you pre-rinse, right?

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
The filter is self cleaning but you can rinse it out if needed. It also does half loads but we usually just wait until it is full to run it.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
We've had a Kitchen Aid for about 3 years now and love it.  My Dad and sister both bought a Bosch and our Kitchen Aid is far larger inside.  No filter to worry about, and the built-in disposal in the bottom takes care of any large food scraps.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
I agree on the Kitchenaid.  It's probably not as quiet as the Bosch or Miele but it's pretty quiet with no service issues for 3 years.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »
Bosch here. Nice and quiet, cleans well, and only uses 7 gallons per wash. I honestly don't remember if mine has a food grinder, i dont think so, but i've only pulled the filter once in a year and it's been clean....

Offline Check Please

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
Seriously considered the Bosch at daughter's recommendation, but got buyer's remorse while awaiting installation callback after reading online reviews.  Primary factors were complaints about the Bosch's small capacity and more importantly, comments about odor and mold issues related to lack of heating element for drying.  Purchased a KitchenAid instead and have been delighted with both cleaning efficiency and quietness, even though it was more expensive than the Bosch.  The top of door LED controls are intuitive, offer multiple wash options, and can't be accidentally triggered by moving about.  The washer is so quiet the only way you know it's running is by an single multicolor LED on the door - blue - washing, red - drying, green - done. No food grinder but the filter is completely clean after 4 months and the dishwasher drain is ported to the undersink disposal anyway.  We've chosen KitchenAid as a replacement dishwasher at three of our our previous homes with no regrets and so far we have no reason to suspect that the latest purchase experience will be any different.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »
Love, love, love the Bosch Millenium, purchased back in 1999, before the Millenium.  Very quiet and loads of space, especially the tall upper rack - can have dinner for 20 and fit all of the dishes in there.  The lack of a heated drying element is no problem at all since the thing gets so hot that the dishes are dry in no time at all. 

Offline Corky

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:14:43 AM »
I was going to make a smart @$$ comment that my favorite dishwasher is my wife. However, I will say that our KitchenAid dishwasher has been a very good appliance for 15+ years. Several years ago it developed a small leak that was quickly and easily fixed. If for some reason I had to buy another dishwasher it would be another KA, purely based on dependability.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:55:14 AM »
Our Whirlpool has recently developed a problem getting top rack dishes clean. Everything seems to run normally, and bottom rack items come out fine, but glasses and cups on the top are hardly getting any cleaning action at all, especially on the sides of the compartment. The upper spray arm moves freely when I check it, but of course I can't see what's going on when the washer is running. Fixing would be preferred to replacing. Any suggestions?
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
I would cut a hole out of the front door and replace it with plexiglass. Then you can see whats going on!

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »
I had that problem and it was blamed on my poor dish loading skills.

Anyways, now use non-environmentally-friendly detergent (finish powerballs) and the problem is solved.  Sorry, endangered river creatures.

Offline peachE

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
I do love my Miele dishwasher. It is now 10 years old.  It has a food filter, that I only need to clean occasionally.  There is a silverware rack on the very top that slides out easily.  It is also verey quiet and has delayed settings, china, top rack cleaning only if you have a small load to wash, sani wash.  It wasn't cheap, but I would buy one again b/c it really is worth it!!!

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 04:20:22 PM »
We have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher.  I do believe it's the best I've ever owned.