Author Topic: Do you love your dishwasher?  (Read 8309 times)

Offline loveATL

• Email
Re: Do you love your dishwasher?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
I have a Bosch and love it.  I was not involved in picking it out and I've only had it for a week and a half and run it twice.  At first, I thought it was super tiny but then I discovered the slide out silverware rack at the top and the adjustable upper rack!  It is incredibly quiet - first time I ran it I couldn't figure out if it was even on until I saw a tiny red light on my floor.  Until I read this thread, I didn't know about it not having a heating element or any filter - need to do some more reading about my new dishwasher  ;)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »
Wow, thanks guys! Lots of good feedback. As luck would have it, I ordered a Kitchen Aid yesterday afternoon from Lowe's. I went with their higher end one bc there were many complaints online about the cheaper version. It was "on sale" but only in stainless and I needed white, so I didn't get a great deal. After spending hours and hours researching dishwashers, I was ready to be done with it. It came down to a decision between the Bosch and the Kitchen Aid.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 09:45:39 AM »
I consulted with a plumber about the old Whirlpool, and was told it wasn't worth fixing a 14 year old machine. Doing research I was a little taken aback by the way they have gone up in price since I last bought one. It's very easy to spend $1500 or more, and $600 is about average. User ratings are mostly proportional to price; the more you spend, the more you're likely to be happy, although it's not always the case. Expensive machines are more likely to have problems out of the box, just because there are more features to break.

I wound up buying a basic Kenmore because Sears offered free delivery and same day installation (at extra cost) on top of 15% off the sale price. It's pretty bare bones, no adjustable racks or multiple spray arms, but since we may not stay here much longer, I had no incentive to spend more. It works fine, although it's fairly noisy and heated drying is needed if you don't want sopping wet dishes when you take them out. I got what I paid for.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline papagatt

• Email
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
I do love my Miele dishwasher. It is now 10 years old.  It has a food filter, that I only need to clean occasionally.  There is a silverware rack on the very top that slides out easily.  It is also verey quiet and has delayed settings, china, top rack cleaning only if you have a small load to wash, sani wash.  It wasn't cheap, but I would buy one again b/c it really is worth it!!!

We also have a Miele-- Loundry & I bought it back in '98 - we've moved it with us each time we've moved and it still works like a champ- this is hands down the single best dishwasher we've ever had- it is spendy- but it uses very little water, is super quiet, uses a tiny bit of detergent, gets the dishes spotless clean -- and like the bosch has no heating element so nothing has ever burnt up and melted- highly recommended-

on a side note i called Miele service last year to ask if we needed to do any preventative maintenance as it's so old and we've never done anything to it. I figured it might need the 10 year 10,000 washes tune up or something- the tech on the phone said nope-- no problems no need to do anything special-

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 11:50:25 PM »
Well, the new Kitchen Aid doesn't really fit under our counter because it sticks out about a quarter inch on one side and a half an inch on the other, and has an external bowed handle, so that kind of looks cruddy. I'm not really happy with the fact that you basically have to bend to the floor to put dishes in the bottom rack either. Plus I can't easily and smartly close it and seal it with a side-ways kick of my foot, like I used to be able to do on our old one.  Also, even though our old unit was at least 13 years old, it was not that much louder than this unit, which ended up being about $900 because I wanted a white one, and only the stainless stell ones were on sale for $699 - crazy. It is ok but it seems like everything that we buy is just ok lately, not great. I kind of regret not getting the Bosch or the Miele.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
Well, the new Kitchen Aid doesn't really fit under our counter because it sticks out about a quarter inch on one side and a half an inch on the other, and has an external bowed handle, so that kind of looks cruddy. I'm not really happy with the fact that you basically have to bend to the floor to put dishes in the bottom rack either. Plus I can't easily and smartly close it and seal it with a side-ways kick of my foot, like I used to be able to do on our old one.  Also, even though our old unit was at least 13 years old, it was not that much louder than this unit, which ended up being about $900 because I wanted a white one, and only the stainless stell ones were on sale for $699 - crazy. It is ok but it seems like everything that we buy is just ok lately, not great. I kind of regret not getting the Bosch or the Miele.

Remember when you had to pay EXTRA for stainless.  We had sticker shock buying all-white appliances....

The heel kick is an ESSENTIAL factor!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 10:02:41 AM »

Remember when you had to pay EXTRA for stainless.  We had sticker shock buying all-white appliances....

The heel kick is an ESSENTIAL factor!

Ah, a fellow heel kicker! LOL

I was joking with the guy at Lowe's about when stainless will be the new 70's avocado green...

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 11:53:36 AM »
. . .
I was joking with the guy at Lowe's about when stainless will be the new 70's avocado green...

When I was a kid in the '70s, our kitchen had stainless steel countertops and appliances from the '50s that were to some extent stainless steel, which my parents replaced with Formica (?) countertops and avocado green or mustard yellow appliances.  Maybe the '70s look will make a comeback when stainless steel goes out of fashion again.