Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2011  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Thanksgiving 2011
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »

We are up and ready to attend the first of our several LARGE family Thanksgiving events, today it is in Social Circle.

I made baked rutabaga for our contributory dish, I WILL make a rutabaga pie for one of the next two dinners we will attend. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:57:40 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: Thanksgiving 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
We're off to St. Simons for Thanksgiving this year.  We've got a turkey reserved at what I believe is the single, one and only Harris Teeter left in the state... correct me if I'm wrong. ;)  We made our annual road trip to Elberton on Saturday and picked up our Bourbon Red heritage bird from Nature's Harmony Farm, but with an 8 month old in tow we decided not to pack up a large cooler alongside the stroller, etc.  We'll save the fancy bird for Christmas or sometime around then.  Mike, I think based on your recent rutabaga commentary I'm going to make a dish for the holiday.  I've got some sprouts growing in my home garden but it won't be anytime soon that they're ready.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »

The first one went off without a hitch.  I'll post some pictures of the 18 side dishes that were supplied, at least a long shot of the service area.   It was great.   Even though a lot of work went into the food, the family together is what made the day.  I am grateful that I have that kind of family behind me.

Our roasted rutabaga was a hit. 
There had never been a rutabaga dish on the serving line before so I accomplished my mission.  LOL

I gathered up some Rosemary from Linda's bushes and a whole big bag of Oregano, along with a half pound of Rosemary.  They are going to dig some up and put them in a different place next year, so I had to get the abundance now.   I passed up the 6 foot square bed of lemon Thyme.   It also is being moved after 10 years in it's spot at uncle Wesley's..  I also got about a pound of Cayenne Chiles from their late blooming bush, I am drying these and making some good powder from fresh Chiles.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »

Big start cooking day with a couple cornbreads being made here, an interesting cranberry/dried cherry dish out of the Cooking Light magazine (Pg 149), and the start of the dicing and measuring for the big pan of dressing.  I hope I get to the pearl onions and maybe the tea brine solution today ....

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:53:11 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Girly

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
We have already had one Thanksgiving with all the usual Southern suspects:

Turkey
Cornbread dressing (5 pans - I brought a pan home)
Canned cranberry sauce
Mashed sweet 'taters with enough marshmallows to put you into a diabetic coma
Squash casserole with MAYBE 2 squash in the whole thing
Green beans cooked for days
Rolls
Gravy
Pecan and pumpkin pies

Headed for Alabama to the SO's mother's "club" for dinner on Thurs since it will just be a few of us, then headed to the beach Friday to join some friends for an alcohol infused GA/GT game weekend. Italian food on Friday night and steaks on Saturday. Just like the Pilgrims!

I have already gained 5 pounds  :P

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
Girly - sounds like a fun week for you!

I'm having a total of 10 on Thursday. I have all the food purchased (except butter, how could I forget butter?), but I haven't made anything yet. Usually, I'd have the pimento cheese and the cranberry sauce ready by now. I can feel the first twinges of hosting anxiety beginning... :0)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
Girly - sounds like a fun week for you!

I'm having a total of 10 on Thursday. I have all the food purchased (except butter, how could I forget butter?), but I haven't made anything yet. Usually, I'd have the pimento cheese and the cranberry sauce ready by now. I can feel the first twinges of hosting anxiety beginning... :0)

I am done with some starts and stops.  I did BURN the first try at making turkey stock with ground turkey.  Only a 15 minute time period let the dern thing burn on the bottom of the big heavy duty Calphalon pan.   I went to the store and started over after pitching that mess into the trash.  I hate it when that happens.

So now I have 8 qts. of wonderful rich turkey broth to both make dressing and to make some gravy. 

The smoked tuna dip will be a memorable thing.  I adlibbed it and it turned out pretty okay. 

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

MwS]- With some subtle changes this is the Brine I'm using, not doing the tea and lemon gravy.

Grilled Tea-Brined Turkey with Tea-and-Lemon Gravy

yield: Makes 16 servings

For best flavor and moist, juicy meat, brine the turkey for 36 to 48 hours.
If you are planning to brine it in a cooler, plan on needing extra ice.

Ingredients

5 lemons, divided
    18 Earl Grey tea bags
    11 4-inch-long rosemary sprigs, divided
    2 cups coarse kosher salt
    1 1/2 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    12 cups ice cubes

2 turkey-size oven-roasting bags
    1 22-pound turkey; neck, heart, and gizzard reserved for gravy

1 12 3/4x9x2-inch disposable aluminum pan
    1 celery stalk, cut crosswise into 3-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, quartered
    1/4 cup olive oil

Bring 6 1/2 quarts water to boil in large pot. Remove from heat. Using vegetable peeler, remove peel from 3 lemons (yellow part only). Add peel, tea bags, and 6 rosemary sprigs to water; steep 20 minutes. Remove tea bags.
Add salt and sugar; stir to dissolve. Stir in lemon juice. Cool to lukewarm.
Add ice to reduce temperature to below 45°F.

Place 1 roasting bag inside the second, forming 2 layers. Place inside large pot. Place turkey in roasting bags, breast side down. Pour brine over turkey. Tie bags tightly, eliminating any air pockets. Refrigerate 36 to 48 hours. Or, place bags into large cooler, pour brine over turkey, and tie bags securely. Pour ice over and around turkey in bags. Place lid securely on cooler. Check twice a day to ensure that turkey is covered with ice (some ice will melt). Remove top rack from grill. Place disposable aluminum baking pan in center of barbecue (if using 2-burner gas grill, place pan on 1 side of grill; if using 3-burner grill, place pan over center burner).

Prepare barbecue (medium-low heat). If using charcoal grill, arrange coals on each side of aluminum baking pan, dividing equally. (You will need to add about 6 briquettes to each side of aluminum pan every 30 minutes to maintain temperature while cooking turkey.) If using 3-burner gas grill, light
burner(s) on left and right, leaving center burner(s) off. If using 2-burner gas grill, light burner on side opposite disposable pan. Insert instant-read thermometer into top vent of grill. Maintain temperature at around 350°F.

Drain turkey; discard brine. Pat turkey dry. Pierce 2 lemons all over with fork. Stuff turkey with lemons, 5 sprigs rosemary, celery, and onion. Tie legs together. Brush turkey all over with oil.

Place turkey directly on grill above aluminum pan. Close grill. Adjust temperature to maintain 350°F. Roast turkey until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, about 3 hours. Transfer turkey to platter. Tent with foil. Allow to rest 30 minutes before carving (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees). Serve with gravy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==++++++++++++++++

Tea-and-Lemon Gravy

yield: Makes 3 1/2 cups

Ingredients

8 cups low-salt chicken broth
    2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
    1 medium onion, halved
    1 fresh rosemary sprig
    Neck, heart, and gizzard, reserved from 22-pound turkey
    1 lemon

1 Earl Grey tea bag

5 tablespoons butter
    5 tablespoons flour
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:32:42 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all you folks.  I hope your day is wonderful.  We here are thankful for all of you and ever so much.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »

Click on this for Our Thanksgiving Feast 2011 pictures

We had a wonderful family gathering, we all talked nice, ate well and again the dinner provided me with a way to experiment on a few things I had been thinking about cooking/fixing for the last month or two. 

It is NOT about the food folks, it is about the fellowship.  We missed a few folks sitting around our table this year due to some complications and health, but those that were here bowed our heads to those that were not.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
Smoked turkey.  I don't bother with whole turkeys, just a big turkey's worth of legs and thighs.

Great day to be outside.  I made the fire at 5:30, had turkey on by 6:30, and it was done at about 3:00 with a nice pork candy flavor.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
Had smoked turkey last weekend and eating leftovers past week.
I really really like turkey sandwiches!
Whole fish and tea smoked duck for thanksgiving thanks to Gu's Bistro.
Friends from Japan tomorrow for gumbo/oysters/crawfish.
Sunday double smoked ham (costco ham smoked)
Suggestions welcome on smoking a pre cooked/sliced ham.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »

Nice looking jdp and tansu.  We were at the minimum size for a turkey to feed that many folks, so next year I have to concoct a different plan.  I have a side-burner smoker but I don't have an adaptor for the BBQ Guru for it.  I'll work/think on that over the summer.  I do like doing it on the Big Green Egg as it is pretty stupid proof, and sometimes I need that, but outside of getting another Big Green Egg I don't have a solution to making a bigger bird unless I figure a way to lower the grate some, so a bigger bird will fit inside the dome.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »

Let us put this puppy to bed.   One more night of really good leftovers but it wearing on me.  I am making new gravy, and I will so some kind of something to the leftover chunks of turkey that are lurking in the bottom/meat drawer.  There is a smidge of dressing, a smaller smidge of the garlic mashed potatoes and a nice big tub of that cranberry/black cherry chutney.   Should we dress up as pilgrims and Indians ?

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »

Should we dress up as pilgrims and Indians ?

Sounds kinky...  ;D
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.