Author Topic: Employment seeking  (Read 11321 times)

Offline rebelliousrose

Re: Employment seeking
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
Scientist, is relocation an option? I know that Houston is in the middle of a job boom in terms of the energy companies hiring- I have a friend who is a metallurgist there, if you want me to have him put out feelers. I'm really sorry to hear this- I was unemployed for six months while I tried to find a non-restaurant job. It's been tight.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
Scientist, is relocation an option? I know that Houston is in the middle of a job boom in terms of the energy companies hiring- I have a friend who is a metallurgist there, if you want me to have him put out feelers. I'm really sorry to hear this- I was unemployed for six months while I tried to find a non-restaurant job. It's been tight.

Thanks for the offer, Rosie. I'll take whatever help I can get. Relocating is not out of the question, much as FG and I would miss all of you.  :'(

I've already got a half dozen irons in the fire, and one interview lined up. It's a different story from my last time looking for work in the mid-2000's. Then I couldn't get any response at all from most of the places I applied.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline The_Scientist

• Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »
After two weeks the search is moving along: no offer yet, but enough activity to keep my weekdays busy. Still waiting for phone interviews to pay off with on-site visits, and calling in chits from my industry contacts. I'm appreciating the adage about never burning bridges more and more.

Offline totm

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
I'm appreciating the adage about never burning bridges more and more.
It is a very good adage.  I've contracted back to former companies and returned back to work for several companies.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline rebelliousrose

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
Sorry to be so late, Scientist; can you shoot me a resume- Foodgeek has my email. I've been training for my own new (FINALLY) non-restaurant job for a VERY intensive last two weeks- about damn time I got out of restaurants, I guess, because I kept blowing restaurant interviews every time I went, since I couldn't make myself do it anymore.......

Looking forward to actually doing the job! Now let me see if I can help you.

Offline The_Scientist

• Email
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
I'll send you a resume, rr, once I get the address from FG.

Good news all around on the job search. I had an interview in Orlando, and it resulted in a good offer. I declined it however, since the job would require long hours and tight deadlines, and FG was less than enthused about moving to Orlando.

I have three more interviews scheduled between now and the holidays, one in the area and the others elsewhere. We'll see who comes through with the goods.

Trumpet blast! Post #500!  8)

Offline The_Scientist

• Email
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
Offer, offer! The place in Eugene OR has put cash money on the table. They'll even let me take FG for a look-see of the area to determine if we'd be happy there.

Offline Girly

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
Offer, offer! The place in Eugene OR has put cash money on the table. They'll even let me take FG for a look-see of the area to determine if we'd be happy there.

Congrats! I think you'll both love it. Very beautiful out there. If you take it, we need to have a bon voyage party :)

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
Congrats, that didn't take TOO long for an offer. I have friends that live in Bend, OR. It doesn't look all that far away from Eugene and they love it out there. Good luck.
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »
[quote author=The_Scientist link=topic=3262.msg25327#msg25327 date=1322929392

Good news all around on the job search. I had an interview in Orlando, and it resulted in a good offer. I declined it however, since the job would require long hours and tight deadlines, and FG was less than enthused about moving to Orlando.
[/quote]

Hrmm...a job without tight deadlines and long hours? Those exist?

Offline MadBob

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »

The neighborhood I visited in Eugene many years ago, the neighbors had a stream.... can you say fresh caught fish! (As long as you don't get caught)
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
It's looking more and more like the offer in Eugene is going to be the winner in this race. We're visiting the city together to evaluate the area, but it seems to be very bike-friendly, walkable, full of public transportation and has easy access to some of the best wineries in the country.

We haven't made our decision just yet, but we'll certainly miss everyone if we do move, and we'd love to have a big going-away bash before we leave.

Anyone interested in a lovely 3-bedroom home in Marietta?
Food is my favorite.

Offline jonnymack

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 09:11:49 AM »
Wow, that's awesome, Oregon should be right up your alley.  Good luck and all that.  Depending on your over/under water situation on your house, you should consider renting.  The rental market is still really hot right now.

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »
This board will feel the loss, that's for certain.  I agree with the renting idea.  What's the school district?

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
Shoot, shoot, and shoot! Good for you but bad for all of us. I'm secretly hoping that the Conyers job works out. We'd really miss you two. Don't leave without getting your pig roast mushroom soup container back from us so we can say goodbye if you go.