Author Topic: Employment seeking  (Read 11005 times)

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Employment seeking
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
What's more heartbreaking than a scientist without sciencing to do? Well, that's me now as I find myself looking for career opportunites. My former position has been eliminated, as they told me this week. It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened, and I have some financial resources to weather this setback, which makes me more fortunate than most in this situation.

I'm starting this thread to give myself a forum for tales of the modern job seeker, and to solicit advice from those in this community with experiences to share.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline totm

Re: Employment seeking
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »
My sympathies.  I've been there.  Don't be too proud to get yer butt to the GA Dept of Labor pronto.   Benefits are not retroactive so file early and often.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
If you get desperate, science is one of the subjects GA will let you teach without a teaching certificate.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 06:30:14 AM »
My sympathies.  I've been there.  Don't be too proud to get yer butt to the GA Dept of Labor pronto.   Benefits are not retroactive so file early and often.

My Bro got laid off and was out of work for a year, he did not know about the "Benefits", Unemployment, Dept O Labor and the rest that went with it. Used up a lot of Credit Cards and cash. Still paying it off and it has been ten years!
So like the above statement says, file early, often and for everything you can get so you can concentrate on whats needed to get the rug back under your feet! Best of luck in your search, hope you find something to your liking pronto....
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
I was laid off around this time a couple of years ago when the departments I was responsible for had their functions outsourced to foreign companies and in the process my position was also "eliminated" (effing euphanisms, man up, your letting me go in the middle of a recession, just say it). 

Important housekeeping matters:

1 - As mentioned before, get your UI application filed.  You don't lose anything if you wait, the clock starts ticking when you file but they are slow.  Don't be embarrassed going down there either.  There are tons of professionals in the same predicament.  It's not an office filled with ne're-do-wells as you might expect but be prepared for a lesson in mind numbing bureaucracy.  Bring a book.  After you get set up initially, you can file weekly from home and only have to go in when they randomly call you in to make sure you're looking for a job.  You paid into the insurance fund so you deserve the coverage when you need it now.

2 - If you had employer provided insurance and there is any chance of a problem getting your own independently, use COBRA.  We still do not have protections needed to keep health insurance companies from denying coverage on new policies and you do not want to allow your coverage to have a gap or they'll deny you for that too.  While Georgia does not provide a typical high risk pool for health insurance, they have a well hidden safety net called the "Georgia Assignment System".  It's not cheap but it is generally good coverage for medical and prescriptions and it is actually cheaper than the Federal offering currently available.

3 - Sit down and do a serious budget to determine how long you can go at your current burn rate and with cutbacks.

4 - If you can, relax and take advantage of the time off.  Panicking and stressing are not productive or necessary activities.  Your situation simply is what it is and all you can do realize your employer is an a$$, get your ducks in a row and move forward.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:58:12 AM by mikeamor »
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Girly

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:04:19 AM »
I echo about getting down to UI asap. I don't think they will start paying until after any severance is depleted, but getting the file started will help you out. They also have classes you can take. As someone who has paid into the system for years and cannot collect as being self employed, DO IT! I would have in a heartbeat had I been eligible.

GA does have an insurance plan where if you have a pre-existing condition and you've been turned down, you can go through them.
https://www.pcip.gov/StatePlans.html

Best of luck!

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »
GA does have an insurance plan where if you have a pre-existing condition and you've been turned down, you can go through them.
https://www.pcip.gov/StatePlans.html

That is the Federal plan run by the US Department of Health. Looks like they have changed up their rates a bit in July but their out of pocket max and monthly premiums are still higher than the  Georgia Assignment System plans.  Depending on your needs, it may or may not be a better choice.  Big show stopper is that you have to have been without coverage for 6 months to qualify for the PCIP.  That can be a problem if you have a current or chronic condition.

Best of luck!
Ditto.  ;D
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »
I spent a year out of work after being laid off from teaching at the end of the 09-10 school year. In addition to budgeting and visiting the GADOL as soon as you can, I advise keeping a daily routine. I'd wake up every morning with my husband, pack his lunch box and then sit down and either work on my resume, or do an assignment for grad school. (My strategy for getting back into full employment again was to go get my Masters in special education) Then I'd eat lunch and do chores around the house. My closets never looked so good! I took temp jobs, like substitute teaching, which eventually turned into a long term sub position teaching two periods a day at the school where I'd been laid off. Having things like that on my resume helped me avoid the appearance of long term unemployment, which makes it even more difficult to find work.  Little jobs like that help keep your skills sharp as well. Good luck.

If you get desperate, science is one of the subjects GA will let you teach without a teaching certificate.

I'm a Georgia certified middle school science teacher, with four years of experience teaching special needs. (I'll have the special needs certification after I complete my Masters in a few months.) It was INCREDIBLY difficult to find a job. At one point I was told by Cobb County that my resume was "perfect", but unfortunately they didn't have any positions open for me. Teaching is not a fall back profession and the shortages in certain fields that existed five years ago are non-existent now.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »
Damn.  I assumed they let people teach those subjects without certification because there was a shortage.  I guess that's probably out in the middle of nowhere though.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
A few years ago there were shortages. Math, science, special ed and foreign language are still considered "critical fields", because the teacher preparation programs at Georgia's universities don't turn out as many graduates qualified to teach those subjects as they do Language Arts, Social Studies, etc. But the year I was laid off, 3,000 other qualified teachers were laid off as well from Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb and Gwynnett. There are still massive shortages in the critical fields in the rural parts of the state and I think APS always has trouble filling spots, even when they aren't prosecuting half their staff for testing fraud, but metro Atlanta in general has a surplus of teachers. The reason I was able to get any teaching position this year, was because I had gone back to school to get my Masters in Special Ed. The job market for teachers is just as tough as any other right now.

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »
How about private schools?

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 03:45:46 PM »
Scientist, let us know your specialties and experience so we can keep an eye out.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
How about private schools?

Just as bad. I was laid off from a private school. $20K for tuition is tough for folks to find these days, even with money coming in from Georgia GOAL or SB-10 scholarships.

Updated 06-11-14

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »
Scientist, let us know your specialties and experience so we can keep an eye out.

I am a polymer chemist with a Master's degree in polymer science. I have 20 years of experience in formulation, meaning I combine polymers with curing agents, catalysts, fillers and various other additives to create finished products for end users. For the last five years I have been developing spray elastomers (think truck bed liners like Rhino Liner), but I have also worked on insulating foam, epoxy coatings and adhesives, rubber and PVC sealers.

Yeah, I'm a laugh riot at parties.  ???
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
LOL - don't worry, I'm used to it.  When my husband tries to explain to laypersons what he does, all I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher.   Wah-wah, wah-wah-wah-wah.  What's worse is when I hear him using full-on consultant-speak.  WTF?

Not sure if I'll come across many polymer chemistry positions, but I do in fact know another chemist by trade - though he is working in NC, and it sounds like his company, like yours, is letting people go or cutting hours, rather than hiring.