Author Topic: Chain restaurants  (Read 4860 times)

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Chain restaurants
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2011/09/30/americas-best-chain-restaurants-2/

A new survey lists the country's favorite chains, with Cheesecake Factory, Texas Roadhouse and Olive Garden at the top. I know, "chain restaurant" is an epithet on this board, but it is how most Americans eat out, so it pays to listen to what they say. Besides not every chain is boring and bland. I bet a few people reading this have been to one recently. How come?
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Chain restaurants
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
Penang is a tasty chain

Offline Daniel

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
a number of the korean places in chamblee, doraville and duluth are chains.  so kong dong, cho dang tofu...

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2011/09/30/americas-best-chain-restaurants-2/

A new survey lists the country's favorite chains, with Cheesecake Factory, Texas Roadhouse and Olive Garden at the top. I know, "chain restaurant" is an epithet on this board, but it is how most Americans eat out, so it pays to listen to what they say. Besides not every chain is boring and bland. I bet a few people reading this have been to one recently. How come? 

I think that the chef/cook in charge can bring a chain restaurant into the limelight.  I can go back and name a few but you all have your favorites.  I still like to stick to the mom-'n-pops and independents but sometimes a chain restaurant breaks the chain and excels above and beyond the rest of the chain.  I can name a few Waffle House restaurants that were run by real innovative people and though they didn't deviate too much from the printed menu the food at their particular location was superior to the others in the area.

I have felt that way about some of the Summits, a couple of the 5 Seasons Brewing (before David took them all) and even our beloved Tasty China.   Sometimes it takes the CHEF to be there full time breathing fire into his dishes for the location to be a winner.  I'm sure you all have more examples of this?

<<< added later >>>

I remember a Denny's over on Memorial drive a number of years ago "smoked" the other Denny's chain restaurant and was the favorite of a large number of us East-siders.

You can find good food in the chains, but I have trouble trying them out enough to know which location is better than another.  Of course I'd rather eat at Iris. 

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:44:40 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
Penang is a tasty chain
I must have ordered incorrectly at the Buford Hwy location last week...
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Minerva

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:51:58 AM »
Penang is a tasty chain

IMO the Kennesaw location is far superior to the original on BuHi.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
Penang is a tasty chain

what did you geT?

Offline totm

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »
Penang is a tasty chain

what did you geT?
Satay Tofu, Seafood Tom Yum Mee Hoon, Sambal Sotong.  I'm an admitted cheap skate and did NOT bring home the leftovers.  I wanted to like it, I really did.  In fact, the last few visits have underwhelmed.  Add Penang to the getting longer list of BuHi restaurants that don't have the beers on the menu available.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
Don't know if i've had any of those dishes...sorry.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »
Penang is a tasty chain

IMO the Kennesaw location is far superior to the original on BuHi.
And Penang on BuHi a few years ago was far superior to what it is today unfortunately, because I'll never make it to Kennesaw.

Offline The_Scientist

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/02/chipotle_is_apple_how_the_burrito_chain_is_revolutionizing_fast_food_.html

Article in Slate explains how Chipotle is growing so fast despite the economy. They have over 1200 outlets now, and their stock is up 50% in the last year. I didn't realize that they sous vide their meats in a central factory, and ship them vacuum-packed to the restaurants, where the line cooks sear them off to order. It lets them keep the quality and consistency high while still being fast.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/02/chipotle_is_apple_how_the_burrito_chain_is_revolutionizing_fast_food_.html

Article in Slate explains how Chipotle is growing so fast despite the economy. They have over 1200 outlets now, and their stock is up 50% in the last year. I didn't realize that they sous vide their meats in a central factory, and ship them vacuum-packed to the restaurants, where the line cooks sear them off to order. It lets them keep the quality and consistency high while still being fast.

Maybe someone else with firsthand experience can chime in, but I've heard that more than one chain uses sous vide that way.  Can't say I've been to a Chipotle in the last 10 years, but I recall having a favorable impression.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »
I know of a particular chain that is no longer in the area whose food was tweaked by the Chef and there was nothing but argument from the Corporate Chef about changing the amounts in the ingredients  to make the food taste.great! Even though the owners really liked the way the food tasted so much better than the others the beef eventually caused the Chef to leave and due to declining sales and another couple of reasons the place closed. And so did the second store in Atlanta I think. They are still open in Florida though
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline The_Scientist

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2012/02/tracie_mcmillan_s_the_american_way_of_eating_doing_the_hardest_job_at_applebee_s.html

Slate is exerpting from a new book about American food culture. The author worked at a farm, then a Wal-Mart, then an Applebee's as an expediter. The first exerpt is about her Applebee's experience. The second is a short history of American family restaurants in general and Applebee's in particular. I learned a couple of things, like how Jacques Pepin helped get Howard Johnson's pioneering approach going in the 1960's. I also didn't know that Applebee's started in Atlanta in 1980 as T.J. Applebee’s Rx for Edibles & Elixirs .