Author Topic: Cooking with your SO  (Read 6195 times)

Loundry

Cooking with your SO
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:35:33 PM »
I love to cook with my partner.  We divide up the labor pretty evenly, that is to say, prep, cooking, and cleaning.  Primo and wok duty usually fall to me, since I'm the one using the outdoor kitchen.  He makes grits, and I make tortillas, which is funny considering that my background is Southern and grits were my comfort food, whereas his background is half New Mexican and tortillas are his comfort food.  I fare better at details, whereas he is better at seeing the bigger picture.  In other words, we complement each other in the kitchen and cooking together is something that we don't merely do to feed us and to feed our curiosity about food, but also as something we can do as a team.  That is, until the arthritis kicks in.  I wonder if other couples function similarly.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
Re: Cooking with your SO
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »
Unfortunately, things aren't as smooth at our house. Usually, it's one parent making sure the two kids don't destroy everything while the other tries to put together something as fast as possible! :)

Offline A_Russian_Cook

• American recipes with a Russian twist!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »
I usually do most of the cooking at my house. My hubby does the dishes however. It's a win-win situation  ;D
-------------------------------------------
Join my blog - http://marinasrecipebox.wordpress.com

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:21:10 PM »
Like ARC our division of labor is simple and straightforward.  FG cooks, I clean.  She is far beyond me in culinary skills, and she will be the first to admit that housekeeping isn't her thing, while I am pretty fastidious and hate having dirty dishes sit around as an open invitation to the ants and various other critters in the wilds of Marietta. 

That said, I can cook some things with varying degrees of success, and FG has never had a visit from the Health Department.  Still we play to our strengths for the most part.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »
I usually do most of the cooking at my house. My hubby does the dishes however. It's a win-win situation  ;D

Ditto.  DH does some of the cleanup for me.  I do make quite a mess.  ;)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
I cook AND clean...  :o Sweet Pea isn't very proficient with a knife and when I'm out of town, her dinners consist of cereal or leftovers.  As for cleaning, I usually try to keep dinners simple on most week nights which reduces clean up time.  Truth be told though, I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to dishwasher loading.  I'm just better at it than Sweet Pea... at least I think so.  :D  She tends to toss things in the dishwasher haphazard and I am very organized about it.  

Organization = more stuff can fit.  Kind of like the fridge.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:56:47 PM by HaagenDazs »

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
Mr. Sadle cooks better than I do. He typically does all of the cooking from recipes. I'll do quick things that don't require doing anything from scratch. Our agreement is whoever does not cook does the dishes. I do all of the baking.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:00:58 PM »
If we tried to cook together, it would end with a stabbing. Despite literally growing up in a professional kitchen (his parents ran a chinese joint in the podunk Texas town he grew up in), somehow my darling never learned how to cook. Oh, he can assemble finicky little things like dumplings like nobody's business, but deciding what to put in them? Doesn't work. He has no idea how flavors go with each other, so he defaults to "bland". I think it's intentional.

He used to be in charge of one meal, and that was weekend breakfasts. And after a year of being served plain scrambled eggs, with plain white bread and margarine, I took it over. We're both happier.

I used to let him in to do big chopping jobs for me, because I used to be afraid of my knives and it took me forever. I only let him in now to clean up after what I did.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 07:05:56 AM »
I cook, wife cleans up. A few years ago there was an article in the new york times about "type A" cooks, which basically take over the kitchen no matter who is cooking.
That's me, i can't help myself tell the wife how she's doing somethign wrong, or how to do it better, including stirring the pot! (hey, there is a proper way to do it!!). So now, she basically refuses to cook.  She bakes though...

Offline Minerva

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
I wish I had that coordinated couple in the kitchen thing going on, but he's only lately taken an interest in cooking and is just too impatient to learn basic techniques before steaming ahead. He wants me close by so he can ask questions but hates it when I try to give him unsolicited advice.

As you may imagine, he's had some big failures, but a few unexpected successes, like his mother's kugel recipe. If he decides to cook it's on a weekend and he makes one part of a meal and I do the rest.

I do encourage him to try his hand at recipes he likes in Cook's Illustrated or other sources but he doesn't have the patience. Still, I'm grateful he's interested. Food has become a shared passion, and even if I'm doing most of the preparation, it's fun to be with someone who is beginning to embrace cuisine and ingredients outside his usual comfort zone.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 11:14:48 AM »
I cook, my wife does the dishes. But she almost always helps with things like deveining shrimp which I hate to do. I am pretty sloppy but try to wipe up as I go but I can make a real mess at times. All in all we make a very good team and can pull off a big celebratory meal for friends or family with minmal stress and impressive results. You get that ability after years together I think.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
I cook, my wife does the dishes. But she almost always helps with things like deveining shrimp which I hate to do. I am pretty sloppy but try to wipe up as I go but I can make a real mess at times. All in all we make a very good team and can pull off a big celebratory meal for friends or family with minmal stress and impressive results. You get that ability after years together I think.

I most often cook, and we both most often do the clean up, but we can change rolls and live together in the kitchen.  I am one of the "Type A" folks in the kitchen, I almost always know a better or quicker way to do something    ::)

CP is a wonderful sous chef, and really does a terrific job in prep so that I can do the experimenting.  She does more cake baking than I do, but I do all of the rest of the baking.  We make wonderful cookies and things together because we have had real practice doing catering (a long time ago) together.  I am blessed that CP will try anything more than once if she didn't like the way it was fixed the first time, and except for a few hard dislikes will eat what I dream up to cook.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »
I do almost all the cooking.

On the rare occasion Sweet Loving Hubby tries cooking, I end up hovering anxiously over him in the kitchen. Remember, this is the guy that doesn't understand one must drain pasta noodles before saucing.  :o

Thankfully he's willing to do the dishes and clean up.

Offline totm

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
Maybe we're an exception.  We both cook.  V calls me her messy cook.  Sometimes we cook together, sometimes it is not as successful as others.  We both have nights where is our responsibility.  I have had to train myself to not touch anything in the kitchen when she's in control.  Not necessarily top notch training/experience but I cooked in chain restaurant kitchens and in Uncle Sam's Army and had aspirations to go to the CIA.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Roxro

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
I usually come up with the menu, recipes and "the Plan."  After getting everything out and organized, I tell DH what to do-usually chopping, sometimes stirring, mixing, rolling out pastry dough.  We can pretty much zip through a holiday meal in no-time.  The best part is that he is obsessive about cleaning as we go so by the time the last dish is in the oven (or where ever) he has the whole kitchen clean.

That said, he has a few specialties (such as his red sauce and a mango-corn relish) that he does entirely on his own without wanting my assistance.