Author Topic: Assisted Living Facilities  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Assisted Living Facilities
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:22:11 AM »
I know this is not a pleasant topic, but I'm currently shopping around for an assisted living place for my mother. I am doing internet searches, but I keep coming back to Sunrise as a good option in this area, because it seems the amenities are really nice for the price range, and my mother would love to move from the cold winters in Akron to the more moderate climate of the South. Sunrise runs from about $2400-3000 per month, and I will be supplementing her Social Security income from my personal finances, so I'd like to estimate how much I'll have to earn to help support her in a healthy environment as she advances in age. My father is deeply in debt and unable to help with this matter.

I'd love to hear any suggestions from people who have more experience than I do, if there are any folks on this board who have cared for aging relatives with memory problems or other related issues. Thanks in advance.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Girly

Re: Assisted Living Facilities
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
My mother ran a large assisted living (or "retirement community" - that's what she calls is and quite honestly, I don't know if there's a difference and if so, what) in FL for 12+ years and is now living there as a retiree. She has done a lot of work with the government and other agencies in this arena over the years. I'll send a bat signal to her and get her recommendations. Anything in specific you'd like me to ask her?

I'm very thankful she did all this for herself as I dread having to make any decisions for my Dad when the time comes. Good thoughts sent your way.

Offline Girly

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »
Well, she wasn't much help!

Haven't heard of Sunrise.  In fact, I know little about national Assisted Living chains.  The best thing to do is to look at the state inspection reports for the last 3-5 years.  You should be able to look them up on the Internet like in Florida.  Our Assisted Living facilities were grandfathered in when they started licensing ALs, so we didn't have to get licensed.  We run them like the licensed, though -- just don't have inspections by the state.

People really need to check out facilities and then go and visit without an appointment -- at different times of the day.  You can learn a lot.  Look for cleanliness, the residents' outward appearance (clothing, etc.).  You can tell a lot by observation.

IOW, use common sense. Thanks, mom..... :o

I work with a guy whose mother is in one and here's his info:

In east cobb we liked atria. My mom is at lynbrook in buckhead. We also liked atherton over by kennestone.

So.....not much. But I offered something and that's all I gots :(

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:09:16 AM »
My F-I-L is at Arbor Terrace (http://www.arborcompany.com/assisted_living/Georgia/the_arbor_company_senior_living)  Not cheap, but we are very pleased with the level of care he receives on the dementia floor.  They're associated with the Emory U Center for Health in Aging to provide oversight for their staff and patients.

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »
My mother ran a large assisted living (or "retirement community" - that's what she calls is and quite honestly, I don't know if there's a difference and if so, what)

I'm learning a lot about the range of assistance that is available, from basic retirement apartments to full service nursing homes. My grandmother was admitted into a nursing home in 1996 and she hated it, so a lot of my research has to do with allaying my mother's fears of ending up in a place like that.

I am also looking at Atria and Arbor, so that is helpful. I'll probably update this thread as I learn more about the options, so that other people facing the same decisions might have an idea of what is available.
Food is my favorite.

Offline totm

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
We have been heavily involved with 2 of V's grandparents in local assisted living communities.  Her grandfather was at a Sunrise facility in Dunwoody.  It no longer is a Sunrise property.  It was smaller than most Sunrise properties.  Level of care varied depending upon who was working/in charge.  Her grandmother was at a somewhat independent facility that went through various ownership changes.  As a whole it was a decent place.  Unfortunately they both ultimately ended up at nursing homes.  But sometimes that can't be avoided with age and physical condition.  She's learned what to look/ask for and how to negotiate certain things.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Asked around and didn't get much help, but one person did recommend that wherever you wind up, try and make sure it offers the full range of options (not sure what those are but I'm assuming assisted living, nursing home, and hospice) so that ideally it's a long-term option and once your mom gets acclimated you won't have to move her again.

Offline totm

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
Asked around and didn't get much help, but one person did recommend that wherever you wind up, try and make sure it offers the full range of options (not sure what those are but I'm assuming assisted living, nursing home, and hospice) so that ideally it's a long-term option and once your mom gets acclimated you won't have to move her again.
Full range of options would might be level of care within an assisted living facility.  That would include Alzheimer care, which is not always provided.  There are some facilities that have a separate Alzheimer section/floor to deal with the extra needs.  Most assisted living facilities will not provide nursing home care.  Once a person is beyond the care that an assisted living facility provides they may be required to transfer to a nursing home.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
  Most assisted living facilities will not provide nursing home care.  Once a person is beyond the care that an assisted living facility provides they may be required to transfer to a nursing home.

That is my impression, based on what I've learned since going into this. If my mother needed a nursing home, there would be other ways to pay for it, but since her needs are not that great, Assisted Living with private pay will be the best option for now. Hopefully, if I can help her stay in good health by doing this, she won't need an actual nursing home for maybe 10 years or more.

Being optimistic here. There are a lot of places to look at.
Food is my favorite.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
I put out a request for suggestions to those I work with, and a number of them recommended Park Springs in Stone Mountain.  Not sure if this is the area you are looking for, but a number of folks have had positive experiences with it.

http://www.parkspringscommunities.com/
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas