Author Topic: Crockpot Cooking  (Read 5991 times)

Offline loveATL

• Email
Crockpot Cooking
« on: September 16, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
What is your fav crockpot recipe?  Must be something that requires no cooking prep as my kitchen currently consists of a microwave, toaster oven, and crockpot  ::)

Offline waynehoobler

Re: Crockpot Cooking
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »
chilis come out good in the crock pot. We've done other CP recipes that just come out so-so.  A lot of the recipes for meat call for wine and I'm never that crazy about the final flavor. 

I think that my mom's oven-cooked brisket uses a sauce like this:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,181,147173-254196,00.html

It might adapt well to the crock pot, but I haven't tried it.  Something about those 6-8 hour cooking times seems to kill the flavors of most meats (to my palate, anyway).

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
chilis come out good in the crock pot. We've done other CP recipes that just come out so-so.  A lot of the recipes for meat call for wine and I'm never that crazy about the final flavor. 

If it is the winey flavor you don't care for, you might try substituting a small bit of vinegar or lemon juice as the acid. Vinegar is terrific in lamb stew.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
Tried some beef short ribs in the crock pot and they were fantastic!  Browned in a cast iron skillet, then browned sliced onions, put the ribs in the crock pot, deglaze the pan with some chicken broth, add a little dijon and molasses to the broth and cook down, then pour over the ribs.  We ate them all up!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 05:13:46 PM »
Tried some beef short ribs in the crock pot and they were fantastic!  Browned in a cast iron skillet, then browned sliced onions, put the ribs in the crock pot, deglaze the pan with some chicken broth, add a little dijon and molasses to the broth and cook down, then pour over the ribs.  We ate them all up!

No details required. You done good.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »

Sounds great. Sometimes simple recipes are the way to go. Where did you get the short ribs?

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »
Got the short ribs at YDFM, along with a pork shoulder that I cooked in the crockpot yesterday for faux Q.  Mark Bittman had a recipe in the Times a few weeks ago for braised pork shoulder with roasted green chiles that I want to try next.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »
It is funny, but it occurred to me that the crock pot and the pressure cooker basically do the same thing (braise) on really different time tables. Both good.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »
I tested out a crock pot recipe this weekend.  Char Siu Pulled Pork.  I was inspired by this recipe (http://www.theravenouscouple.com/2010/11/char-siu-pulled-pork-banh-mi-with-asian-slaw.html). It's basically pulled pork, but with char siu sauce.  I don't want to do banh mi, though so it's going to be one of the proteins for a taco bar at my daughter's b-day party.  The pork came out pretty good.  I need to kick up the honey and 5 spice a bit (and maybe a little red food coloring or anise oil/seeds).  For my son's party a couple months ago I also did a taco bar, but with carnitas tacos from seriouseats.com recipe.  It was a home run based on all the guest compliments.  Hopefully we can swing to the other side of the globe and get some kudos too!

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:35:28 AM »
Love char siu pork.  Can't wait to try this myself.  Since finally landing a decent job after being laid off three years ago, time is a critical factor and the idea of just throwing something in the crock pot and only having that to clean that up is VERY attractive.  BTW, I've also made the SE "No waste Carnitas", they are amazing!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:45:27 AM by mikeamor »
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Hrm...not sure how i missed that recipe, but that sounds AWESOME. I need to make it. I don't own a slow cooker, so it's going to have to be a low oven..or might be worth trying in a pressure cooker to speed it up!

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »
Well, I got to do the char siu pork for my daughter's birthday.  Everyone seemed okay with it, but I was very disappointed in myself.  I thought the pork came out even more tender, right consistency, good amount of fat rendered sauce.  The problem was I was missing all the ingredients to make my own char siu marinade.  Instead I found a old jar I kept around for a pinch.  Big mistake!!!  The jarred char siu sauce gave the pork a slight bitter taste, in my opinion.  Anyways, thought I would report back and hope everyone can benefit from my own lesson.  Make the char siu sauce yourself, or do something else.  In any case, don't use a jarred sauce!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
Well, I got to do the char siu pork for my daughter's birthday.  Everyone seemed okay with it, but I was very disappointed in myself.  I thought the pork came out even more tender, right consistency, good amount of fat rendered sauce.  The problem was I was missing all the ingredients to make my own char siu marinade.  Instead I found a old jar I kept around for a pinch.  Big mistake!!!  The jarred char siu sauce gave the pork a slight bitter taste, in my opinion.  Anyways, thought I would report back and hope everyone can benefit from my own lesson.  Make the char siu sauce yourself, or do something else.  In any case, don't use a jarred sauce!

Wow, we too made Char siu (I never know where to put the "I")  pork today at the Big Green Egg retail center in Tucker, GA.  Our "optional" Chef, Chef Eric Holdo just came back from a wonderful working trip to Shanghai and included those Chinese flavors in our dishes that we made for the public, LIVE, on air and all cooked on the Big Green Egg.  The Char Sui could have been marinated way longer to bring out the flavors but honestly it was pretty good.  We also made a Lemon Chicken dish, a Chinese spiced chicken wing dish and a take on a Chinese Pork burger with a good glaze today  The crowd was thrilled, the food was gobbled and the show only lasted 200 minutes. 

I would have done my version of Char Siu tonight if they had the right stuff at my Publix.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
I would have done my version of Char Siu tonight if they had the right stuff at my Publix.
I'm attempting the Char Siu Pulled Pork recipe above for a gathering this Saturday.  I could have bought bottled sauce but wanted to try making one of the ones in Larkemon's link.  I figured a good place to the ingredients was BHFM.  I stopped by Doraville Tower first for the Chinese Rose wine.  The woman at the wine counter had never heard of Chinese Rose wine.  There was a kitschy bottle of shaoxing wine for $9.  I passed on that one and headed to BHFM.  Five spice powder and white pepper powder were easy to find.  Hoisin and shaoxing wine a little more difficult.  Maltose was impossible.  The stockers had me going from aisle to aisle to no avail.  Then it hit me; Dinho supermarket!  Not only did Dinho have maltose but the price of the five spice, white pepper, and hoisin were a little less and the selection of shaoxing wine was better.   Guess I'll take the other stuff back to BHFM.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
i've bought maltose and rose wine at BHFM. The maltose is in white tubs with a red cap on the top shelf of the chinese isle. I can picture it quite clearly. Rose wine is in that general area...sorry you had trouble finding them.