Author Topic: Crockpot Cooking  (Read 6150 times)

Offline totm

Re: Crockpot Cooking
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 12:05:07 PM »
Know that I know what that white tub with red cap of maltose looks like I might be able to find it at BHFM 8-) but considering that everything was cheaper at Dinho then I'll just get it there.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline totm

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 08:11:15 AM »
I'm attempting the Char Siu Pulled Pork recipe above for a gathering this Saturday.
It was a crock pot throwdown and I lost out to buffalo chicken (with canned Swanson chicken 8-0 ) dip and pot roast (made by V).  Looks like we're having Chinese Prok BBQ for Christmas dinner.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
Second time trying to do Crockpot pho.  $7 worth of oxtail.  $2 worth of beef marrow bones.  1 charred sweet onion.  1 small charred ginger knob.  1 small lump of rock sugar.  1 tablespoon salt.  1 pho spice packet (Pho Hoa brand).  Parboiled the oxtail and marrow bones.  Placed all in crock pot and filled with water.  Set to low for 12 hours.  We'll find out in the morning how it tastes and will adjust accordingly.  I am guessing it'll need more salt and probably 2 more spice packets.  Probably took 15 min to put together (Parboiled and charred at the same time). Total cost probably little more than $15 when you include rice noodles, cilantro, green onions and limes.  Hope to get at least 6 bowls of pho from it. Hope I have a good breakfast in the morning :)

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »
So was it as good as mom's?  No way.  But considering the ratio of effort vs. goodness, definitely worth it!   I had to add a bit of salt and a couple extra spice packets this morning.  Also put a stick of cinamon in the soup for about 10 min.  Last thing I did, which I won't repeat is added another lump of rock sugar.  It ended up being a touch too sweet, but not badly.  Kids loved it.  It ended up yielding 3 adult bowls and 4 kids bowls.  So for for less than $20 and not hauling the family to Buford Hwy, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Offline Milt

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
What is your fav crockpot recipe?  Must be something that requires no cooking prep as my kitchen currently consists of a microwave, toaster oven, and crockpot  ::)

My favorite simple slow cooker recipe requires no advance prep.  Place pork ribs or chicken pieces in cooker and cover with a bottle of barbecue sauce.  Microwave some corn on the cob (in the husks) and a bagged salad for a tasty easy complete meal.