Author Topic: Restaurant.com  (Read 1919 times)

Offline mikeamor

• Email
Restaurant.com
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »
I purchased a few of the 80% off certificates at restaurant.com including a $10 and $25 for Tango Grill y Bar in Alpharetta.  Today we tried to use one for lunch.
Upon arriving at Tango Grill y Bar,  we saw the certificate taped to their window and they had written on it that they would not accept the dining certificate.
We went inside and verified this to be true and then left.

Restaurant.com DOES NOT GIVE REFUNDS by their policy.  They will only give you a "credit" so you can purchase another certificate.  This is fine if they offer others you want.  If not, you are somewhat screwed.

After much arguing and demanding to speak to a supervisor, the rep at restaurant.com (at a call center in India)  finally came back and agreed to provide a refund "in the name of good customer service".

After the problems at Crawfish Shack and Peter Chengs with Scoutmob and now this, I am really turned off these "deals". 

I cannot believe that these can be sold and then refused by the restaurants.

By the way, restaurant.com is still selling the certificates for Tango Grill y Bar.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Restaurant.com
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
I purchased a few of the 80% off certificates at restaurant.com including a $10 and $25 for Tango Grill y Bar in Alpharetta.  Today we tried to use one for lunch.
Upon arriving at Tango Grill y Bar,  we saw the certificate taped to their window and they had written on it that they would not accept the dining certificate.
We went inside and verified this to be true and then left.

Restaurant.com DOES NOT GIVE REFUNDS by their policy.  They will only give you a "credit" so you can purchase another certificate.  This is fine if they offer others you want.  If not, you are somewhat screwed.

After much arguing and demanding to speak to a supervisor, the rep at restaurant.com (at a call center in India)  finally came back and agreed to provide a refund "in the name of good customer service".

After the problems at Crawfish Shack and Peter Chengs with Scoutmob and now this, I am really turned off these "deals". 

By the way, restaurant.com is still selling the certificates for Tango Grill y Bar.

I'm not saying that I always use the certificates I buy, but when they either expire or are no longer honored Restaurant.com has always put a nice chunk on my account to buy more certificates later on.  I have several from California that will expire and I know I will be able to get credit onto my account for them.  I think it is pretty fair.  I hate that NEW certificates are not honored, and I hate it when I take a cert. into a restaurant and they have changed the rules or conditions.  I would guess that I'm slightly ahead or even if I had never bought any of the restaurant.com certificates. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

Re: Restaurant.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »

I can appreciate your frustration with purchasing a discount and then not having it honored.  That is why I am very cautious/selective when buying discounts via restaurant.com/groupon/etc.  The difference with scoutmob is that you as the consumer haven't put money out for the discount.  Yes, I was frustrated when Crawfish Shack wouldn't accept the scoutmob discount and I am disappointed I won't be able to use the Peter Cheng scoutmob.  But it not like I am out any of my hard earned money.  And I will probably still frequent the above two establishments.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon