Author Topic: Better make some room at the table...  (Read 10103 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
Better make some room at the table...
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »
After more than four years of trying and intervening battles with testicular cancer and related infertility, it is with immense pride and relief that I announce that Lindsay and I are expecting not one but TWO little foodies! ;D We are about eight and a half weeks along, with a due date of April 15 (Tax Day!). As such, we've tentatively named them (Uncle) Sam and IRiS, though I'm pretty sure those names won't stick (not least because we won't know genders until around Thanksgiving). And since it's twins, they'll likely come earlier than that anyway.

Now, we would be heartbroken if these kids were picky eaters. And based on some recent studies, we can help limit that possibility while they're in the womb (and breastfeeding) by having mama (and thus the babies) experience  as many different tastes as possible early on. So you'll certainly see us out hitting all the ethnic way points, and then some.

Alas, right now she's enduring wall-to-wall morning (and afternoon, and evening) sickness, which means eating just about anything is a dicey proposition. :P

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Better make some room at the table...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:16:03 PM »
That's fantastic! Congrats!

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:30:23 PM »
TWO?!  ;D

Congratulations!

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »
Congratulations! We've been struggling with infertility ourselves, so I'm always happy to see other couples finally beat it.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
Woo-hoo! Congrats.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:38:56 PM »
That is wonderful news! Hope your wife feels better soon.

I'm not sure I buy those studies. I ate all kinds of stuff like I usually do and was convinced that I'd have a small foodie from day one. When she started eating solids I made baby food, tried to give her avocado, lots of garlicky things, slightly spicy things, good variety of things, etc. No dice. I wouldn't say she is exactly picky - she likes lots of veggies ad we eat a green salad every night, but I think I tried too hard and made food too important, despite kind of knowing that I was doing it at the time. So, her five year-old items of choice at Community Q tonight: a grilled cheese and a side of mac and cheese. The server even made a joke about her being from Wisconsin.

I see it as an early indicator of what it is to be a parent. Children are going to be their own people. And that is how it is supposed to be.  :)

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
That is wonderful news! Hope your wife feels better soon.

I'm not sure I buy those studies. I ate all kinds of stuff like I usually do and was convinced that I'd have a small foodie from day one. When she started eating solids I made baby food, tried to give her avocado, lots of garlicky things, slightly spicy things, good variety of things, etc. No dice. I wouldn't say she is exactly picky - she likes lots of veggies ad we eat a green salad every night, but I think I tried too hard and made food too important, despite kind of knowing that I was doing it at the time. So, her five year-old items of choice at Community Q tonight: a grilled cheese and a side of mac and cheese. The server even made a joke about her being from Wisconsin.

I see it as an early indicator of what it is to be a parent. Children are going to be their own people. And that is how it is supposed to be.  :)

Points well taken, and honestly as long as we get 20 fingers and 20 toes I could care less if all they eat is Easy Mac and Cocoa Puffs (not that they're going to get us to buy that crap for them). But I figure what could it hurt to try while they're in utero and breastfeeding? It's not like we'll be straying that far from what we usually do, i.e., eating adventurously (obviously avoiding/limiting things that could be detrimental).

Once they start on solid foods, we're not going to lean on them to eat things that they clearly hate. The rule growing up in my house was try everything once. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to eat it (although you might be asked to try it again a year or so down the road). And even then I was a BIG fan of mac & cheese and grilled cheese (and still am ;)).

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:26:54 PM »
Wow.
The circle of life goes on.
Congratulations!
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 06:05:55 AM »
Once they start on solid foods, we're not going to lean on them to eat things that they clearly hate. The rule growing up in my house was try everything once. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to eat it (although you might be asked to try it again a year or so down the road). And even then I was a BIG fan of mac & cheese and grilled cheese (and still am ;)).

That's what we do with our 2 year old (who eats everything and like a horse). If she says no, we explain she has to try it and doesn't have to eat it if she doesn't like it. Usually works and she then eats the item or goes on with her fruit or something else.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:44:05 AM »

That's what we do with our 2 year old (who eats everything and like a horse). If she says no, we explain she has to try it and doesn't have to eat it if she doesn't like it. Usually works and she then eats the item or goes on with her fruit or something else.

+1 We have the same rule.  Both of ours have to take one bite.  Then they can have more or just eat the rest of the food.  We don't wait a year between trying again though.  Usually just a couple weeks.

Congrats Hrothgar!  We had problems with fertility as well, so it's always heartwarming to hear of people overcoming it.   Not that you guys are soliciting advice, but one food related bit that I found true... when they are little, you can take them anywhere.  They mostly sleep or suck on a bottle, passy, etc, but most importantly are quiet and don't disturb others.  It's when they get a little older or get mobile that our eating out options became limited.  That was mostly out of consideration for other diners and sanity for ourselves! :)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »

There are times when I wish I had NOT introduced niece Cassie to spicy/hot things, I got her a bunch of the teeny Tabasco bottles when we last were in New Orleans..   "She puts that Sh&t on everything", including toast, cereal and who knows what else.  She tried the Ghost pepper jelly we brought back from Seattle and could tolerate it in very small bits.  She still retains her ability to taste and smell the difference between herbs and things but I'm afraid I've led her at 7yrs old in the HOT direction, she carries a bottle of that Tabasco in her lunch bag.         LOL.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »

There are times when I wish I had NOT introduced niece Cassie to spicy/hot things, I got her a bunch of the teeny Tabasco bottles when we last were in New Orleans..   "She puts that Sh&t on everything", including toast, cereal and who knows what else.  She tried the Ghost pepper jelly we brought back from Seattle and could tolerate it in very small bits.  She still retains her ability to taste and smell the difference between herbs and things but I'm afraid I've led her at 7yrs old in the HOT direction, she carries a bottle of that Tabasco in her lunch bag.         LOL.

Now that is funny!

Offline totm

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
But to me Tabasco is mostly vinegar.  Maybe she'll gravitate to sour beers when the time is right.

Congrats Hrothgar!
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
But to me Tabasco is mostly vinegar.  Maybe she'll gravitate to sour beers when the time is right.

Congrats Hrothgar! 

I agree with the Tabasco, but she eats sliced unseeded Jalapenos' and then there is that Ghost Pepper jelly that gives me the hiccups but she puts a tasting spoon in her mouth and says "yum".    8)

It will be a day or two before she has beer.  But those sour tastes are things she likes to explore-- like my selection of vinegars...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
Twins!  Great news!  Pretty soon we'll have to start having some 285 FAMILY events, so that everyone's little ones can experience restaurant cuisine beyond that served at Chuck E. Cheese.  Blech.

BTW, my experience with the in utero conditioning of the baby's palate was that it didn't matter what I ate.  I couldn't eat any cooked vegetables with my first--the smell alone literally made me gag--but she is now a veggie eater extraordinaire of both the cooked and uncooked variety.  If what I ate had made any difference, she'd eat only pizza and pasta.   ;D